mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Stolen 2010 Cannondale Scalpel 4(pic of crook)

This guy stole a 2010 white Cannondale Scalpel 4 out of a bike shop in Plano, TX. Stole it on a test ride. If you know who this guy is, please contact Detective Paul Phillips of the Plano Police Department at 972-941-2578

This was stolen in the Dallas suburbs but sometimes these guys steal stuff in towns far away from where they actually live. Since it is a unique bike and has a Lefty someone here might spot it. I am not affiliated with the shop it was stolen from. They do good things for local cycling and hate to see them be a victim of a crime.

mtbr member
    Time for them to start taking at least an I.D. and credit card for anyone to take a bike for a test ride. System has worked well for us for a while now. If you know the guys who work there, maybe throw in the suggestion.

Sorry to hear about their loss. Lets hope the bike and that guy are found.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Time for them to start taking at least an I.D. and credit card for anyone to take a bike for a test ride. System has worked well for us for a while now. If you know the guys who work there, maybe throw in the suggestion.

All the bike shops in the UK i have ever done test rides with have always taken Credit Card details or hold photo ID before they release the bike..

Really hope they catch this guy.

mtbr member
    They do it when u test drive vehicles so i think bike shops should take id's for test rides as well. Stupid guy, hope they find it.....bet it might pop up on ebay or craigslist in a few or possible the frame and fork.

One day at a time......
    I don't understand why a shop wouldn't ask for that information. I test rode a top-o-the-line Scalpel last year at a shop in Indianapolis. Didn't ask for anything. I was in the process of moving and had a truck down the street. I asked to ride it, the shop guy handed me the bike, told me I SHOULD wear a helmet, and I was on my way. There was NOTHING keeping me from taking that bike except, well, moral integrity.

I will definitely keep my eyes out for it. My guess is it will be stripped and thrown away, or he's just passing through. It sucks that people do this.
    Last edited by magsdad; 06-30-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    "It's all about personal integrity, hope, and a really great beer."

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb

Unless its a regular customer doing the demo, the ID/CC thing is standard practice. Although it sucks bigtime for the shop, some of the responsibility lays there.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    At Calgary Cycle,I heard some stupid thief took out a SC-V10 and disappeared with it. He gave them I.D. with a fake name on it but it had his REAL picture.