mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Stock spring color in a Lefty Max TPC

I just got my new black Prophet 800 (1of the last 4 black 05s) and was trying to read up on how to set the suspension. Not only is this bike my first in 10 years (long absence from riding when my daughter was born) it is also my first full suspension bike as well. Therefore, I am still behind the curve on getting things setup.

A few questions:

1. What color is the stock spring in the lefty 140 TPC ?

2. Also, there seems to be a lot of maintence invloved with the lefty.
    I.E. Adjust needle bearing cages, and oil air filter every ten hrs.
    Change fork oil every 25-50 hrs.
    Do you guys do this as recommneded?

3. Lastly, the red Rebound Adjustment Knob seems to have only four "Clicks", when in
    the manual I should adjust to 8 clicks from closed.
    Am I not turning it enough? I didn't want to force it

thanks, kyle

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle D.
    I just got my new black Prophet 800 (1of the last 4 black 05s) and was trying to read up on how to set the suspension. Not only is this bike my first in 10 years (long absence from riding when my daughter was born) it is also my first full suspension bike as well. Therefore, I am still behind the curve on getting things setup.

A few questions:

1. What color is the stock spring in the lefty 140 TPC ?

2. Also, there seems to be a lot of maintence invloved with the lefty.
    I.E. Adjust needle bearing cages, and oil air filter every ten hrs.
    Change fork oil every 25-50 hrs.
    Do you guys do this as recommneded?

3. Lastly, the red Rebound Adjustment Knob seems to have only four "Clicks", when in
    the manual I should adjust to 8 clicks from closed.
    Am I not turning it enough? I didn't want to force it

thanks, kyle
    Hey there, spring rate is based on frame size, which you did not state. But the med and lrg get a blue spring which works up to about 175, 180 lbs. XL gets the firm spring which takes you up to about 230, then there's an xtra firm for the big boys in the world. As to maintenance, the closer you follow it, the greater you chances are of keeping the fork running sweet. That said though, I know folks who run 'em for a year or more without thinking about them. It really comes down to how when and what, you ride. nice sunny days in the Eastern US, no real issues will develop. If you ride super boggy, or dusty conditions, you need to pay closer attention to it. Bearing migration occurs naturally, and will become apparent, based on how you ride, in a few weeks, to several months. The rest procedure is covered well in your manual, and is very easy, requiring two tools, and about 3 minutes of your time, once you understand how to do it. It will be a definitive "clunk" when the fork comes back up to the top, no clunk? No reset needed. I would recommend a once a year trip to the shop for a teardown/relube, oil change type service. This should run you about $25 to $35 depending on the shop, if they want more, ask why, cause at most it's an hour, so it should be priced within the standard hourly rate. Some shops charge way more, and it's highway robbery, so just be armed with that knowledge= As to your rebound, you mean Lefty, or the rear shock? You should have all of them, and not have to force it to get there, so ask the shop to look at it for you. Sweet bike, enjoy!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1