mtbr member
    Mar 2012

stock '12 flash alloy 1- what to upgrade to lose weight, gain performance?

My bike is all stock and weighs 25 lbs.
    I hate the grips, the bars are too wide and I have some very cheap and heavy shimano pedals on right now.
    any nice wheels sets for $750 or so? I have never done tubless but Im open to it if it is better. tubes are pretty easy to change if they go flat though.
    any big upgrades for bars or other items? How low can the weight go?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alloy 1.

1. Your wheels are heavy and are have been problematic for tubeless conversions. I am not certain the exact weight on the wheeset, but I would guess its close to 2000 grams. You could pick-up a Stans wheelset for around $650. Unless you are a true featherweight I would suggest thier crests. The stock crest wheelset is 1600 ish grams, and with a conversion to tubeless will save over a pound off your bike weight.

2. Your x7 crankset and X5 casette are both heavy. Since they are wear Items I would get some use out of them and then replace them. You could save another pound with some XO or XTR cranks, and a similar cassette for $400. You could save more weight with XX cranks and cassette, but they are too expensive for parts that wearout quickly.

3. Foam nonlocking grips will save some weight. I don't know what the stock grips weigh but I but there is 100 grams to be saved. Plus foam grips are cheap.

4. Eggbeaters or other light pedals.

I bet those changes would get your bike in the 22-23 lb range. From there the grams are going to be more expensive to lose. I don't know the weights on the stock bars and seatpost so there could be some weight to save there but I doubt its more then 50 grams each without going to some exotic parts. Swapping to a carbon frame would save some weight but with what people are asking for carbon flashes on ebay I am not sure its a good idea.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    +1 what PedalFarAway said.
    First thing to upgrade are the wheels.
    Stan's are great albeit a bit flexy
    And go tubeless, so you'll never look back and never flat at the races.
    Second thing are the Pedals - Eggbeaters are great and very light.
    Grips are a matter of preference - Try the Cannonade Foam or the ESI Racer Edge/Chunky.

If you have any money left, look at upgrading the Crankset and the cassette.
    X0, Sram S2210 or preferably the Hollowgrams.... :-
    and a Sram 11-36 PG 1070 cassette. (or better)
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    I agree, wheels and tubeless setup first. Stans stock hubs get decent reviews and are pretty light.

If you do not like the handlebar width, cut them down a bit. Or, pick up a set on sale. I got an Easton EC90 from Jenson super cheap.

I like ESI Chunky grips. They are reasonably light and feel nice.

XX cassette is really expensive, but I have gotten a lot of miles out of them (replace chain at regular intervals, of course). I dropped 150 grams right there on my Scalpel.

I use egg beater pedals, as well. A set of egg beater 2 can be found on eBay for less than $60 new. Replace the spindle with Ti and you have a light, cheap set of pedals.

Also, Ashima rotors are dirt cheap and light. Find them from $12-$25 each.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the same bike, my bike is down to right under 23lbs. First off, the wheelset weighs about 2100 grams. I did convert to tubeless with the stock Rapid Robs with no problem. Ran it for a month or so before upgrading. Changed to Stans Arch with Racing Ralphs, shaved 1 1/2 pounds there alone. Almost 1 full pound for the wheelset and over a 1/2 pound for the tires. The wheelset cost me $600, was a new pull off from a carbon flash.

I swapped my Cannondale Hollowgram crank over from my road bike to my Flash. Surprisingly, the X7 crank isn't all that bad. Not including the bottom bracket mine weighed 736 grams (spindle, crank arms, spider, bolts and rings), the Hollowgram is 579 grams. I kept the same 26/39 chainrings on.

Another cheap upgrade is the saddle. My original saddle weighed 335 grams, picked up a Fizik Tundra 2 for under $50 and shaved 120 grams.

I made some other modifications, such as brakes (strictly for performance, upgraded to XTR), carbon seatpost (Syntace P6 HiFlex - mainly for comfort, but shaved 60 grams), cassette (PG-1070 shaved only 40 grams, was too cheap to buy the XX at the time ) and carbon handlebar (niner rdo carbon shaved down saved me over 100 grams). The only other two things I would like to do is buy an XX/XO cassette and some lighter pedals. The cassette could shave almost 200 grams in going with the XX and I have some heavy shimano XT 778 pedals on there now, weigh almost 1 pound alone. All in all, I love this freaking bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=rsolti13;9825596]I have the same bike, my bike is down to right under 23lbs. First off, the wheelset weighs about 2100 grams. I did convert to tubeless with the stock Rapid Robs with no problem. Ran it for a month or so before upgrading. Changed to Stans Arch with Racing Ralphs, shaved 1 1/2 pounds there alone. Almost 1 full pound for the wheelset and over a 1/2 pound for the tires. The wheelset cost me $600, was a new pull off from a carbon flash."

I have an alloy 2 that I have swapped some older/better parts over to. And I'd like to do the same thing you did with wheels and tires. Arch Ex and Racing Ralphs. According to schwalbe's claimed weights, the Rapid Robs are whopping 790 grams a piece and the lightest version of the 2.25 Ralphs are 535 grams. That's over a pound on tires alone, even without converting to tubeless.

Just curious if you went with the lighter carcass or with the anti snake bite sidewalls or if those Rapid Robs were not as heavy as claimed?

Either way getting rid of those Rapid Robs is far and away the biggest bang for our buck though.

Any body have experience with the 29er Crests? I'm a lightweight but I don't appreciate parts that can't take a bit of abuse. I had them on a 26 and they were fine, but I'm not sure I want to push it that far with 29 wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

x7

I seem to remember reading online that X7 cranks are close to 900 grams. If its really closer to 750 grams there might not be much to be saved there. XO and XTR both have listed weights close 700 grams.

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    [QUOTE=chiliconcrosso;9826073]
    Quote Originally Posted by rsolti13 View Post
    I have the same bike, my bike is down to right under 23lbs. First off, the wheelset weighs about 2100 grams. I did convert to tubeless with the stock Rapid Robs with no problem. Ran it for a month or so before upgrading. Changed to Stans Arch with Racing Ralphs, shaved 1 1/2 pounds there alone. Almost 1 full pound for the wheelset and over a 1/2 pound for the tires. The wheelset cost me $600, was a new pull off from a carbon flash."

I have an alloy 2 that I have swapped some older/better parts over to. And I'd like to do the same thing you did with wheels and tires. Arch Ex and Racing Ralphs. According to schwalbe's claimed weights, the Rapid Robs are whopping 790 grams a piece and the lightest version of the 2.25 Ralphs are 535 grams. That's over a pound on tires alone, even without converting to tubeless.

Just curious if you went with the lighter carcass or with the anti snake bite sidewalls or if those Rapid Robs were not as heavy as claimed?

Either way getting rid of those Rapid Robs is far and away the biggest bang for our buck though.

Any body have experience with the 29er Crests? I'm a lightweight but I don't appreciate parts that can't take a bit of abuse. I had them on a 26 and they were fine, but I'm not sure I want to push it that far with 29 wheels.
    Yep, my weight of the Rapid Robs was close to the claimed amount. I went with the Racing Ralph snakeskins for added protection. I think they are about a 1/2 pound heavier total than the lighter Racing Ralphs. Rapid Robs are great performers for the price, but they are HEAVY. I run tubeless, but that saves not even 200 grams total vs running tubes. Tubeless for me is strictly about puncture protection

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    I seem to remember reading online that X7 cranks are close to 900 grams. If its really closer to 750 grams there might not be much to be saved there. XO and XTR both have listed weights close 700 grams.
    I have found that the weight listed for the X7/S1400 is including the bottom bracket, which is close to 90 grams. For my S1400, the arms weighed 442, spider and bolts 113, chain rings 94 and spindle 87. Total weight for crank less bottom bracket = 736. I should also note, this is for the BB30 version, not the GXP. The X9/X0 and X7 all share the same chain rings and spindle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

xo??

You happen to know actual weights for XO set? Sounds like there is not alot of weight to be saved between x7 and xo

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    You happen to know actual weights for XO set? Sounds like there is not alot of weight to be saved between x7 and xo
    I don't have that. I just know the X7/S1400 b/c I was expecting to save a ton going to the Hollowgrams. Wasn't the case . I would imagine it won't be much difference though, the X7 was surprisingly light