Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sticky Lefty

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  LUW 
#1 ·
Guys, I have a brand spanking new Flash Carbon 29er 3. But I'm having trouble with the lock-out button on the Lefty. If I push down the red crown it goes down and the suspension works fine, but when I want to lock it, I press the blue button but the red crown doesn't come up :madman:. If I use a small Allen wrench and wiggle it around, almost "pulling the blue button up", it comes up and the suspension locks. I don't know if the red crown or the blue button is the problem, but one or both are sticking.

Is there anything I can do about it :confused:?

#5 ·
If you're handy with tools, it's not a complex mechanism to take apart and likely fix yourself. No oil will come blowing out or anything like that. Do note, it is lightly spring loaded so don't take it apart in your cluttered, dimly lit basement... :D

Probably just a seal that got twisted or is dry and sticky. Or perhaps a burr on some bit of aluminum.

If you're not handy with small screws and the like, don't get out the hammer to try and fix it, this is why you buy a bike from a shop,they are there to either take it apart and fix it for you, or get a new part from Cannondale.

Crap happens, shouldn't be a big deal to get sorted out. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Is that something that happens often?

I ask because I heard that Leftys were a bit of a hassle in terms of maintenance, one of the reasons I was a bit unsure about getting the Flash. I think that the riding experience is outstanding, the Lefty is MUCH better then a conventional fork suspension IMHO, but I really didn't want to have too much hassle with the whole bike. Don't get me wrong, I know that top of the line equipment usually demands some care, and I'm totally fine with that, but in less then 50 km I already have to get it fixed.

That is frustrating :rolleyes:.

#10 ·
Well, if it's a fluke that isn't fairly common, and I had the bad luck to get one, there's no problem. I only hope that it's a one time fix.

This afternoon I'm taking her back to the shop. If it doesn't require specialized tools I could do it myself, but if there's something to be changed I wouldn't have the part, so even though it's a PITA to haul the bike to the shop, it will be easier do do it that way.

#11 ·
LUW said:
If it doesn't require specialized tools I could do it myself, but if there's something to be changed I wouldn't have the part, so even though it's a PITA to haul the bike to the shop, it will be easier do do it that way.
It doesn't, but good call, besides, they should fix it gratis, so let them provide you the service, that's what we're here for, not to sell you a problem and tell you to shove off, that's what online retailers are for. ;)

#12 ·
Just got back from the shop, and I feel like a fool :madman:.
It was the internal spring around the blue button sticking to the O ring, just a mater of using some silicon grease and it was working fine again. That I could have easily done at home :rolleyes:.

Well, living and learning - next time I know what to do. Thanks for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.