mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Stem upgrade for lefty?

Hi. I'm new to cannondale and lefty world. I recently got a 2011 flash 2 29er aluminum. I'm looking to do some upgrades in the coming months. I'd like to get a better/lighter stem but there doesn't seem to be many options. Looking on this forum I've seen a few bikes with ritcheys. Are these left compatible or are they modified somehow? Open to any suggestions of other brands or options. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Define upgrade ?

If it is weight gain you are after, will cost $$$ for a marginal saving.
    OPI stem weighs 240-ish grams.

A lightweight steerer +/- 85 gr +/- 215 USD, then a lightweight stem 110 gr fill in the $$$

If you want to go lower, Dale has just released an OPI with -15 will be a lot cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So it seems like money would be better spent on bars or seat post to try and shave a little weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you have Kenda small block, not much can be gained there. Depending on your riding area maybe 50 gr switching to lighter tyres but will be felt immediately and not to expensive.

If you are still with inner tubes, change to tubeless setup, even ghetto style with a good light tube to start with some interesting gains could be achieved where the benefit is immediate.

Best gain is always, rolling setup first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the same bike. Size medium. Mine weighed 25.6 lbs out of the box. The wheels are super heavy at over 2000 grams. You can get a set of Stans Crest with ztr rear hub and lefty front. You can find them online for around $500. That will save you about 500 grams which is a litttle over a pound.
    My build with pedals weighs 22.4 lbs including computer mounts and sensors...... race ready at the line. Not like some people who weigh theirs without pedals or bottle cages or computers.
    My parts list:
    DT Swiss 240 hubs laced to Stans 355 rims
    Easton EC70 carbon bars
    ESI chunky grips
    Sram XO crank
    Sram Med cage x9 rear D
    Sram x9 front D
    Avid Elixir CR brakes
    Sram X9 shifters
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Shimano slx cassette
    Crank Bro candy pedals
    Arundel Carbon bottle cage
    Maxxis Aspen 2.1 exc tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thought tubeless was heavier. Maybe it's my old school mentality but I think I prefer tubes just because if I do get a flat I can change it in minutes. I guess I don't know enough about tubeless yet. I definitely want to change the bars and seat post and as money permits, the wheels. I was thinking about the spynergy wheels. My bike is a medium also. Seems like you changed a whole bunch of stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Definitely put money into a lightweight wheelset and tires before anything else, then drivetrain. You'll feel weight-loss in those areas way more than anywhere else on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evel View Post
    I thought tubeless was heavier. Maybe it's my old school mentality but I think I prefer tubes just because if I do get a flat I can change it in minutes. I guess I don't know enough about tubeless yet. I definitely want to change the bars and seat post and as money permits, the wheels. I was thinking about the spynergy wheels. My bike is a medium also. Seems like you changed a whole bunch of stuff.
    What type of riding do you plan to do with this bike? Trail riding or racing?

As for tubeless, if you get a flat and sealant doesn't seal the puncture, install a tube to get going again. Lots of tubeless info available on web.

Ride the bike for awhile and replace parts as they wear out with lighter parts. As has already been stated, wheels are a good place to start.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trail riding in NJ. Bars,seatpost and wheel will be next as $ allows. Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd like to get a better/lighter stem but there doesn't seem to be many options
    I just got a Hope.

Not a whole lot lighter. Big plus for me is a much more comfortable riding position, as well as being able to use 31.8 HB. Doesn't look too shabby either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...kyll/HopeL.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...peFrontTop.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does look nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OleMan Glade View Post
    I just got a Hope.

Not a whole lot lighter. Big plus for me is a much more comfortable riding position, as well as being able to use 31.8 HB. Doesn't look too shabby either.

Where did you pick that Hope up from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Where did you pick that Hope up from?
    Probikeshop.com. Check it out here.

Hope Cannondale - Probikeshop

I want to ride
    I'd for sure do a wheel upgrade. Stans is a great place to start, then convert the small blocks to tubless. Carry a tube, I still do on the big rides. I run a tubless wheelset with tubless tires, huge upgrade. Love it...

mtbr member
    Google "Syntace VRO T-Stem CD".

I ordered mine from some place called bikewagon.com.

Best stem I have ever had. Light weight, adjustable and durable as hell.

Syntace

(no affiliation... just a very pleased customer)

mtbr member
    Seems like bikewagon no longer sells this stem. Can any one help me find another US dealer?

mtbr member
    Did you check eBay? I just did a search and found several.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. Is it really as good as you thought after a couple of months usage?

mtbr member
    I've been riding with it for well over a year now. I love it. Much more comfort and control. If you can't find anything online, contact the company directly. You may be able to place a direct order... it just might take a bit longer to get to you. from oversea's

mtbr member
    Any chance you could post a pic of it on your bike?