mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Stem under crown on a Lefty?

I know it sounds stupid, but with an XL lefty, I could fit the stem under the top crown and preserve the original height. The measurements work for my frame, headset, and stem.

Could this work? I am not going to go out and do it any time soon, but I am curious if there is any reason why I couldn't.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I should give some more detail here. I am running a Lefty Max on my Dos Niner with a 100mm head tube, and want to put a Lefty Speed on it to lower the front end. With a Cane Creek HS, Short Stem height, and XL Lefty, the measurements work to fit the stem beneath the top crown.

I know this isn't standard, but is it possible? A standard lefty makes me run about 20mm of spacers between the headset and the top crown, and I am really looking at lowering my front end. If not, I can just get a steeper stem, but if this works I think it might look unique, even more so than the standard lefty is already.

High Alpine Adventure

No reason why not!

Uhmmm, interesting! It should work fine. I mean if the stem is positioned relative to the top of the head tube as it would be with a standard fork tube, then the geometry isn't really different.

The issue I would think about is how the steering felt. I have noted subtle differences with where my bars are relative to the stem. I run a negative rise stem with 1/2" riser bars and it does feel a little different from a flat bar on a flat stem. It may have to do with leverage.

So that being said, with the stem below the top clamp (Additional mass above the steerer), it may feel a little different then having the stem above the entire mass of the fork.

I'd say try it and let us know how it goes....

And by all means, post pictures!!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Please post a picture if you do so!