mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Stem size on large rise frame

I have a large rize3 and I am 5'11" with long arms and legs. I find the front wanders a bit on steep uphills and I do need to exaggerate my forward posture to keep the front end down. I think it came with a 120mm stem, and I am looking at a 90mm -5d stem.

Will this change make the difference? Will it be a compromise?

Thanks in advance for any feedback from someone with a similiar experience and how they solved it will be helpful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    can't see riding any longer than a 90, preferably 70 but with wider bars, think min 30 inches. the offset to wider bars will make up in the climbing

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeddz3 View Post
    I have a large rize3 and I am 5'11" with long arms and legs. I find the front wanders a bit on steep uphills and I do need to exaggerate my forward posture to keep the front end down. I think it came with a 120mm stem, and I am looking at a 90mm -5d stem.

Will this change make the difference? Will it be a compromise?

Thanks in advance for any feedback from someone with a similiar experience and how they solved it will be helpful.
    What you're planning to do will actually worsen the situation since more weight will be shifted towards the back of your bike. 120mm seems to be the perfect length, try to work on your technique to keep the front wheel down. Some bar ends might help, since you'll be able to shift more of your body weight over your front wheel.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    What you're planning to do will actually worsen the situation since more weight will be shifted towards the back of your bike. 120mm seems to be the perfect length, try to work on your technique to keep the front wheel down. Some bar ends might help, since you'll be able to shift more of your body weight over your front wheel.
    Is it normal to hunker down, drop the elbows and slide forward on the seat to stop the wheelie? Would a medium frame make a difference?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think it's normal for the bike, I experienced the same thing coming from a full suspension 100 mm XC bike to the large Rize. My old bike, you just had to sit and spin and the front end would stay planted on all but the steepest climbs. With the Rize's slacker head tube angle (and maybe it's longer fork), I agree it does tend to wander more. I think it helps to have the Lefty sag set just soft enough to keep it form being completely topped out during climbs. To this end, many owners have decreased the air volume (with the new air piston or by other means) so that the Lefty ramps up quicker without having to run as much air pressure (hopefully I'm being clear enough). I've done the mod and found it helped. Nevertheless, shifting your body position is something that must still be done and saddle choice can be important here.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeddz3 View Post
    Is it normal to hunker down, drop the elbows and slide forward on the seat to stop the wheelie? Would a medium frame make a difference?
    That's pretty much what I do on step climbs as well. I had a M frame before that was way easier to handle but my lower back didn't like the cramped seating position at all. Back on a L frame, and a 120mm +5 stem. Also my size specific Bontrager seat which isn't cradle shaped like my old fizik gobi allows me to easily slide forth and back making it very comfortable on climbs.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V