mtbr member

Stem Recommendation For My Cannondale?

Hi guys,

See my bike and specs in my signature if you are kind enough to help.

I need to get some weight off my hands. I think I am too far over.
    It has been suggested I make the adjustment with a stem. Seat height or front to rear position does not help. They are fitted pretty good as that goes but I did experiment to see and returned them to their original positions.

Can I get a suggested vendor and type that is not the super high dollar tech big time Bling Thing. Just a comparable to OE but higher to sit me up some.

Mine is a Cannondale XC3 1.5. I hope I don't need the part that goes through the head.

And how much of a degree in rise will it equal to in inches?

mtbr member
    Usually, riders rarely pull out the slide rule to calculate stem angle to bar rise.

Most stems are about 5 degrees of rise, and the next higher is 15 degrees.

And getting the same length stem but in a higher rise will NOT bring the bars closer. Stem length is measure on a parallel line to the ground, not from bar to steerer.

mtbr member
    Thanks, This is why I ask because I do not know. So higher will not relieve any of the weight I am putting on the bars?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oh, it will be an improvement. I looked at your picture, and your bars are just above the saddle.

Raising the bars will take pressure off your back, but you might also want a shorter stem as well.

Hard to say over the web because you could change your handling with too drastic of a stem change.