mtbr member

Stem Pre-load on a Lefty

Being a new Lefty owner i'm a little confused about stem/headset preload? Since there is no starnut and topcap is it necessary.
    Thanks in advance
    Garry

mad aussie
    If you have the Si stem/steerer you tighten the bottom "cap" to 9Nm before tightening the clamps to the same torque. If using the steerer and seperate stem you would just push the stem down on top of the steerer and tighten the bolts.
    The preload is in the fit between the head tube and clamps of the Lefty.

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    I beg to differ Kevin...
    The SI headsets dont need to be preloaded as is the case with a standard aheadset. They are cartridge bearings, press fit into the frame/cups and dont require to be adjusted. The 9nm torque and pushing down the stem is just so everything stays safely in place. If you take a Headshok equipped Cannondale (which uses the same headset), take off the stem, the headset stills spins perfectly even though nothing pushes on it... Don't forget to put the stem back before riding though!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Here is what I have. So I just slide it on, line it up and tighten!!
    Thanks
    Garry
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    On your setup, the sole purpose of the stem is to connect the steerer to the handlebar. So yes, you just put it on the steerer, align it with the wheel, tighten the bolts and you're done.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mad aussie
    I guess I wasnt 100% clear. Dan is right there is no "preload" on the bearings, everything fits together, that is why Cdale has a standard head tube length. With your setup just put the stem down on top of the clamp and tighten and put the cap on. With the Si Stem you need to hold the assembly together with the clamp.

Kevin