Thread: stem length

mtbr member

stem length

What is the length of the stock stem on the prophet 6? I wanted to get a shorter stem but I dont know what size is the current one. thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just measure it. Stem lengths are quoted centre to centre. So what you need to do is measure along the stem from the middle of the steerer to the middle of your handlebars. You don't even need to be that accurate as stems are normally only made in multiples of 10mm and it's fairly obvious what size you have. This centre to centre (forgive English spelling) rule is generally applied when measuring things with a circular end eg shock lengths and frame sizes wich are measured from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    thank you, I learned something new today what great place the world is

LA CHÈVRE
    Is it a Cannondale stem? If it is it's even easier, the sizes are written right on the stem, close to the bolts that tighten the stem to the steerer. It will go something like this: 10005318. The first 3 are the length in mm, the second 2 are the angle and the last 3 are the handlebar diameter so in my exemple, it means a 100mm x 5° with a 31.8 bar diameter.

With that said, Baker921's more universal way is good!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :