mtbr member
    May 2007

Stem change on Rush

Hey everybody, I have a 06 rush 600 in a Large size, and was thinking about downsizing the stem. I am 6'1 but don't race and am using the Rush as a techy XC bike with lots or rock gardens and short but steep downhills. While the position with the stock stem is OK, the combination of the longish stem and top tube seems a little stretched out, making for great climbing, but not as good in more technical terrain. I want to swap the stem out for a shorter one with higher rise, but I have two questions:
    1- What is the stock length and rise on the Rush large stem so I know how much to downsize.
    2- What options are there for a shorter/higher stem. I just looked around teh web to get an idea, and while there are a few 80mm stems with the 31.8mm clamp, they all had a low 5 deg rise. Any thoughts here?

Finally, If you wanted to make the Rush more optimal in this type of terrain as opposed to the smooth race type singletrack (don't answer "buy a prophet" since I really like the Rush and don't do real jumps or big drops anyway) what other simple mods would you make? Nothing too major as I do love the bike already.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Try theses http://chainrections.com/ whole range of sizes some under cannondale others CODA & headshock. I think it can be good to try an adjustable stem to sort out what you really want but I dont think thats possible with a C'dale

LA CHÈVRE
    To know what size is your current stem, look on it, close to the steerer, there will be a long number... See it? The first 3 digits are the length, the 2 next ones are the angle and the next 3 are the handlebar diameter. So a 100mm 5° stem with a 31.8 clamp will read 10005318.

As for upgrades that would help in technical rocky trails, bigger tires with good knobs than the stock ones would help. They make climbing more of a workout but they really help in rock gardens and downhills. I have a set of Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3... great big burly tire that excels in technical stuff and carve corners with confidence.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Don't limit yourself to just the stem .
    If you have a straight handlebar , rise a
    riser model .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 1 inch rise already, the stock FSA bar that came with the bike. I looked for teh number on the stem but can't find it. There is only 1 number which says 31.8, obviously referring to the bar clamp width. No length indication.

B3 MTB
    consider an FRM carbon/Ti headshock stem... they're utterly sexy.