mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Steep rise in price of cannondale bikes

Is it me or maybe I noticed that the price of Cannondale bikes have gone up big time?

In 2010, you can get a hard tail lefty for less than 1.7k.
    Right now, it starts off at $2380 for F29 5

That is a $600 gap or 35% increase for a entry level lefty.

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Prices of everything goes up...
    Metals
    Foods
    Living costs
    Clothing
    Cars
    Same goes for bikes... Basic economics... Everything goes up except for paychecks.

OSCMTB
    Cannondale underwent some pretty big changes in 2010. And yes, costs on everything go up.

LA CHÈVRE
    It's across the industry. Material cost has increased a lot so everyone charges a bit more, from spoke manufacturers, drivetrains brands and what not. Shimano and SRAM prices have jumped up significantly in just a few seasons.

Almost everything has also got a lot more hi-tech in a relatively short period of time so you usually get a better bike with better technology than you did in 2010. Lefty is better, tires are better, shifters, derailleurs, rims, hubs, brakes... Actually, Cannondale are still offering a pretty good value for the product you get compared to many other brands if you ask me.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know there are some improvements here and there on the bike.

But 35% increase in 2 years along with the recession?
    Don't have to go into the salary, inflation and interest rate.. and that is going the opposite direction.

I love Cannondale but they are out pricing their bikes for the medium to high end market.

mtbr member
    It's not just Cannondale, look around - everything is more expensive.
    The biggest problem is people - because there's a lot of them willing to pay more and more money.
    Bikes are selling like hot cakes (probably even better ), so why wouldn't they increase prices?

There are a lot of budget bike companies around and they don't make worse bikes than big names.

Also, it can be worthwile to spend bit of time finding good deals/buying on closeouts as you can get some pretty good deals then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Agree on the closeout but if I am a new bike buyer, I would have been turned off.
    My first bike was close to $1k before I found out about the closeout, but if I am a NOOB, I would have gotten the sticker shocked n walked away

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It is more about profit than the increasing prices of raw materials.

This is about Dorel milking us for everything we got. The prices for Cannondale have been jumping ever since they got bought by Dorel.

Agree with others on buying closeouts. That is about the only time you are going to get a good deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ive noticed cannondale is also tending to only put the lefty on their higher tiered bikes.. and the F29 is a more race XC oriented bike. Whereas something like the "trail" is the typical recreational bike.

Also, the $2380 is the MSRP.. and I cant remember ever paying MSRP for a bike
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    So you think that the other vendors aren't raising their price based on the companies they work with... Shimano, Sram and everyone else...? I'm sure the inflation on bicycles are based on what aluminum can be purchased for on all aspects. Someone needs to pay for the rising costs of manufacturing. They pay for it in the back end... we pay for it in the front. Everything goes up... from electricity... to fuel surcharges... port fees... everything. Don't go expecting that the raise in price is just because Dorel wants to make money. Of course they do... they wouldn't be a capitalist corp if they didn't believe in greed.
    However they still need to conform to the inflation of everything else that goes from production, publication, advertising and shipping.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post

This is about Dorel milking us for everything we got. The prices for Cannondale have been jumping ever since they got bought by Dorel.

Agree with others on buying closeouts. That is about the only time you are going to get a good deal.
    So true. Dorel sucks. Took away jobs from 50 longtime Cannondale frame craftsmen. No warning, no severance....just see ya, bye!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I blame SRAM.

$400 XX cassettes are just so necessary to enjoy MTB, my a$$.

Why stop there? XX1 is even pricier.

Haven't seen anywhere near that jump in pricing from Shimano. XTR is easily $100 cheaper at full MSRP, and considering you can buy an entire XT cassette with that difference, I'm just, not, seeing its intrinsic value to anyone except SRAM's pocketbook.

You want more value, buy a Shimano equipped bike, tell your favorite brand to leave the price gouging parts brands at the door.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I blame SRAM.

$400 XX cassettes are just so necessary to enjoy MTB, my a$$.

You want more value, buy a Shimano equipped bike, tell your favorite brand to leave the price gouging parts brands at the door.

So true, I remember the days when I could afford good SRAM stuff. Not any more. Sad part is I actually prefer SRAM but I just cannot pay these prices anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    So you think that the other vendors aren't raising their price based on the companies they work with... Shimano, Sram and everyone else...? I'm sure the inflation on bicycles are based on what aluminum can be purchased for on all aspects. Someone needs to pay for the rising costs of manufacturing. They pay for it in the back end... we pay for it in the front. Everything goes up... from electricity... to fuel surcharges... port fees... everything. Don't go expecting that the raise in price is just because Dorel wants to make money. Of course they do... they wouldn't be a capitalist corp if they didn't believe in greed.
    However they still need to conform to the inflation of everything else that goes from production, publication, advertising and shipping.
    I am not gripping about increase in prices, everything has gone up , I am talking about the over the top price increases. Those increases alone are not justified by production, shipping, etc going up. When I buy a Cannondale I want Dorel to make money but at some point enough is enough.