mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stable platform on Scalple

Is it possible to fit an SPV shock to the back of a Scalple? I've never seen one and wanted to see what you guys thought...

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

As far as I know...

You're limited to either a Fox ProPedal or DT Swiss for the Scalpel. My guess is that C-dale thinks that the Manitou SPV would be a bit of overkill on the short travel Scalpel (as well as be a bit heavier).

Quote Originally Posted by happybiker
    Is it possible to fit an SPV shock to the back of a Scalple? I've never seen one and wanted to see what you guys thought...
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Back in Black
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    You're limited to either a Fox ProPedal or DT Swiss for the Scalpel. My guess is that C-dale thinks that the Manitou SPV would be a bit of overkill on the short travel Scalpel (as well as be a bit heavier).
    I was under the impression that the DT Swiss was not stable platform. What's a little surprising is that high end Scalpels are fit with the DT Swiss instead of the Fox Propedal. If I were to improve one aspect on my Scalpel, it would be for a little less bob. I understand the DT Swiss is likly more plush (larger volume) but is that the main reason why it's fitted to top Scalpels? Has anybody tried a Propedal vs regular Fox on a Scalpel. Is the difference not as dramatic as could be expected?

FYI, from what I understand the DT Swiss requires the newer 'frog' linkage. Old 3-piece design allows the lower shock bushing to move along the shaft which is probably not good for the DT Swiss.

mtbr member
    The DT or the old Float RL maintains a nice and smooth small bump compliance. Add PPD and it gets harsher. Personally I don't have a problem with bob and when standing you'll need a lock out to effectively cancel it out anyway. A stable platform won't to stop that unless it has an inertial valve such as the "Brain". Maybe you can improve your pressure/rebound setup. How you pedal also makes a difference.

Back in Black
    Initially, the Cannondale recommended pressure made the bike too soft for my tastes. However, I found with higher pressures (95-100% body weight) it's much better yet I still manage to get full travel (about an inch). Running tubeless also helps.

I get the most bob when in big ring on smoother trails, however in those conditions I found that the bike rides well locked out. I was curious how much more harsh the PPD would made the ride, especially since it's fairly supple already (no doubt the preloaded chain stays help there) - but it sound like I'm not missing much sticking with a regular Fox.