mtbr member

Stable platform on Raven?

I was planning to replace my Raven ('01 Raven 2000) with a Blur or a Spider, but due to $$$ consideration, I might have to make my Raven last a little longer.

One of the upgrade I am considering is changing the rear shock to a stable platform unit. I know that progressive as a 5th element air kit for the Raven, but I was wondering what's the comon widsom on the net about upgrading an older single pivot design to a stable platform. Is it worth it?

BTW, I do mostly trail / XC type riding.

Denis

Are you talking to me?

Dennis, I am going to let you in on a little secret...

Have you checked your frame for bubbles/ discolorations, and so on in/on the clearcoat of your frame? I am not trying to make you paranoid, but check it, prior to deciding to replace that shock. Look around the head tube, the BB area, and the mounting for the seatpost collars. If you find bubbles in the clearcoat, Cannondale is replacing the Raven frames with Jekyll frames, (and shocks) so if you buy a new shock, it will not work on the Jekyll. Push industries does a rebuild with pro-pedal type valving on older shocks, so that may be another avenue. Beyond that, I think a stable platform shock will help tremendously with the raven design. Later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Raven frame SPV shock

Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    I was planning to replace my Raven ('01 Raven 2000) with a Blur or a Spider, but due to $$$ consideration, I might have to make my Raven last a little longer.

One of the upgrade I am considering is changing the rear shock to a stable platform unit. I know that progressive as a 5th element air kit for the Raven, but I was wondering what's the comon widsom on the net about upgrading an older single pivot design to a stable platform. Is it worth it?

BTW, I do mostly trail / XC type riding.

Denis
    I work in a Cannondale shop and I will second the comment about the Raven frame. I have seen more than one with problems with the Carbon fiber especially around the seat post clamp. Examine it carefully. On a positive note I just got a new 04 jekyl frame with the SPV shock and all I can say is WOW! I replaced an 02 Super-v with a Fox vanilla R and what an amazing difference, plush ride and noticeably less bounce. I almost say it rides like a full suspension and pedals like a hard tail. Hope this helps.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I also know someone that had their Raven replaced under warranty with a Jekyll so I would definitely check for damage before making significant upgrades.

I have a Super V and have ordered a Swinger 4-Way for it. This should cure much of the bob associated with this design. But IMHO if you still have the Headshock fork, you’ll notice more improvement from replacing that than you will by replacing the rear shock. I replaced mine (an 80mm travel Headshock with an SL80 air spring cartridge) with a Minute One and it’s honestly like I have a new bike (except for the bobbing… >8P ). I have ridden a VT1 with the 3-Way and although it hardly bobbed at all, although it didn’t necessarily translate into making it rocket up the hill, but that Minute One fork turned it into a rocket going down the hill and in technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Idea! Do it!

Denis,

Putting a modern shock (swinger, 5th) on your Raven (SV or Jekyll) will make it a great performer and eliminate the typical bob. Your Raven is one of the best single-pivot bikes around.

If you have owned your Raven for this long, you know very well what the others were sayign about the frame recall and such. If your lucky to not have one of the "bad frames," your Raven frame will outlast every possible item you may throw at it. I've got one of the "good ones" and have jumped it off 4' and 5 foot ramps for years...I've worn out or bent crankset's, wheels, seats, FD & RD on that sucker. I've been offered a replacement Jekyll but will never do it (they are quite a bit heavier and don't ride as nice). But first, you must inspect your frame very carefully before dumping more money in it. However, if your 2001 Raven is a later build, you should fine. Keep in mind, not all Raven II's were recalled!

Recall Info:
    Frames with serial numbers KFR00425 through KFR00450 and KFR00458 through KIR00001 require the "seat-post" kit.

Frames with serial numbers KJR00001 and higher have already have the reinforced setpost.

Frames with serial numbers KDR00001 through KFR00424 and KFR00451 through KFR00457 must "technically" be replaced. Cannondale no longer uses the "epoxy injection" repair method. If yours already had the epoxy repair, it will be evident from the small decal covering the drain hole in the BB area. If your frame has this, then you have one of the "bad frames" and I would consider other options.