WI. Big Boy MTBer

ST 400 / converting to a dirt rig?

I have a made in US Silk Trail 400 complete bike that I am thinking about converting to a dirt specific rig. Has anyone done this?

I'm talking new, crank / chainrings, front derraileur, flatter stem and bar, tires.

I thought about just buying a dirt rig and leaving my ST as is, but with my household down to just one income..it's not financially feasible to drop bigger coin on a dirt rig.

I am not planning to race this bike ..just hit some local singletrack and possibly the kettles.
    There looks to be plenty of clearance for 1.95 - 2.1 knobbies and the bike is equipped with double walled rims and decent shimano hubs. I don't ride in alot of muck-so the rim binders will be sufficient.

What do you C'dale guys and gals think here? Could this bike be a decent dirt rig?
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If its fire trails ,you just need some knobbies on it and perhaps a more trailworthy stem, lose the reflectors and the front cage.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Well, no..it would be more tight and twisty forest singletrack with rocks roots, hike a bikes..
    I just wondered if anyone out there had an opinion on whether or not this frame would be suitable.. I think it will be on eBay this weekend.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX