Thread: SPV Volume

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

SPV Volume

Any guidlines as to how far to go with the SPV volume? All the air pressures and rebound clicks have listed recommendations. I read and understand the ice cream and peanutbutter analogy (thanks Mendon). Is this "decreasing the bottoming resistance" going to give a similar effect if I replace the red spring with a black one? I am 220+lbs on a large Phrophet.

I'm asking this because I went over the bars last night in a spot I've been clearing with this bike an my other 100mm bike. Bothers me because I saw a girl last year in the same spot slice her gut open from falling into her bars. Riding partner did mention I was heavy on the front while going over the ledge, but it felt like my usual formation.

in closing how hard is it to replace the Lefty spring? All my LBS' want to send it out to get it done.

Thanks.

LA CHÈVRE
    The correct spring is needed to have proper sag for your weight. With the correct sag, start with the SPV volume at it's biggest, the volume adjuster backed out. This will make the Lefty stroke feel more linear. If you bottom out often, even with the correct sag and you like the feel of the Lefty with that spring, decreasing the SPV volume will make the travel more progressive, it will ramp up as you move into the stroke. The more you screw in the volume adjuster, the more it will ramp up and prevent bottom outs. If you have a too small volume, smaller than what's needed to prevent bottom outs, you wont get the full 140mm travel. If you have a too soft spring for your weight and use the volume to prevent bottom outs though, you wont have the best experience has your sag will be too much, you'll have less effective travel if you start with half the travel gone and it's action might feel a bit weird.

Does that make sense?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    "how hard is it to replace the Lefty spring"

If you end up going that route, it's pretty easy.
    If you've done a bearing reset, you're most of the way there.
    I can't even change the oil in my car, but I did the Lefty Max spring change, no problem.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek

I'm asking this because I went over the bars last night in a spot I've been clearing with this bike an my other 100mm bike. Bothers me because I saw a girl last year in the same spot slice her gut open from falling into her bars. Riding partner did mention I was heavy on the front while going over the ledge, but it felt like my usual formation.

Thanks.
    The Prophet is an All Mountain/XC bike. It is relatively neutral in handling so any attempts to do drops or going over ledges requires a firm positive move. A weak move usually results in the front dropping.

I have not ridden my Gemini since January 07 because I was waiting for a part to fix the fork. In the mean time the only bike I had in one piece was my Prophet. I ended up just riding the Prophet for like 3 months. I normally like to change bikes Gemini, Prophet and HT. I finally got my Gemini back together last week and took it out for a quick spin on my home trail. I was flying toward my favorite ledge drop. I can hit this drop with 4 different styles. A pre-jump, a, pre-jump lift, a racer style no lift drop and a no pre-jump lift. I decided to hit with with a pre-jump lift to get some height as I cleared the ledge. Everything felt the same as I went through the moves except the front came up a nearly a 45 degree angle. I fell off the back of the bike when I landed. I totally forgot that the Gemini requires minimal moves almost to the point you really just have to think lift and bike will lift. I went back and hit it perfect after remembering not to pull so hard.

I think you need to work on figuring out what the bike is doing and what inputs it needs to work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks for the responses, i guess the right equipment is the key to the best ride. if I'm riding on a spring that's meant for someone 50# lighter I'm not on the right equipment. i could see if i was on the border of two springs i could go either way, but 50# is a lot.

i'm not yet ready to be launching off that ledge (if i could only find a 6" ledge to launch off of), yet i read moderate launches are about 80% mental. i think that endo set me back a bit, i'll be rolling over that ledge a few more times before i think of launching. so i guess this Prophet is a bit more bike than i was ready for, but it's been a treat so far and i'm growing into it. also don't think it'll break beneath me like my Trek Fuel.

i've done the bearing reset, so from there i guess all i need to do is remove the rebound rod and swap springs...and let someone else "test ride" it.

thanks again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek
    Any guidlines as to how far to go with the SPV volume? All the air pressures and rebound clicks have listed recommendations. I read and understand the ice cream and peanutbutter analogy (thanks Mendon). Is this "decreasing the bottoming resistance" going to give a similar effect if I replace the red spring with a black one? I am 220+lbs on a large Phrophet.

in closing how hard is it to replace the Lefty spring? All my LBS' want to send it out to get it done.

Thanks.
    God dear, slicing guts open hears terrible. I always ride with bar ends and was very happy the last time as I hit a long spike cactus with full speed. I hope if I sometime fall into the bar the bar end will save me.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web