mtbr member

Spoke noise under braking

Going down some steep hills on the twisting roads where i live when i break on the front to control the desent the spokes sound like your putting a stick to the moving wheel....

Is this just the force/load on the spokes under heavy braking at speed as they dont feel that they need tightening....

Im running 4 pot on 203 eotors....

Thanks....
    2002 M Cannondale Jekyll Goodboy 30th Aniversery...#017-300....

Just a flesh wound
    Something is hitting your spokes when you apply the brake. Is the front wheel in the drop outs and aligned? Is there a screw protruding from the brake caliper mount that is very close to the spokes and hits under pressure?

mtbr member
    Im on a carbon lefty and there is nothing near the spokes,,,,

Just Ride.
    Push your fork down and see if any cables head into your wheel or near it. I had the same problem, right before a race.

mtbr member
    The brake cable has good clearance as it zip tied to the fork above the calliper...

The nearest thing to the spokes is the calliper but thats got enough clearance and has no marks on it as if the spokes wherre hitting it....

It only happends when going down realy steep hills where i have to break heavy....

I see it as....on the flat your just stopping the forward momentum of the bke to slow it down but on a steep hill the brake is having to fight against the bike wanting to keep gaining speed so i think its just large forces pushing and pulling on the spokes....

Under braking all the torgue is loaded onto the hub via the rotor so that force is then transfered to the spokes which are being compressed under the breaking load before the caliper and released after leaving the caliper which causes the noise....

I need to put this te Dr Karl....
    Last edited by qwackers; 07-07-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Just a flesh wound
    Is it the knobs on your tire hitting the Lefty?

Just a flesh wound
    Is the brake line hitting the knobs on compression? Your spokes should not make this noise without help.

mtbr member
    Is it a new wheel? My spokes made some noise when i first started riding the bike, but after a few rides it stopped as the spokes were seated in the rim....

My spoon is too big!
    I had the same thing happen on my Lefty. It turned out to be the brake cable flexing into the spokes as the fork compressed. I just turned the cable clamp a few degrees, and it stopped doing it.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

High Alpine Adventure
    Not sure what the noise is like, but on a new wheel build it is not uncommon for the spokes to make a noise as they rub together. Take some dry lube and lube all of the spoke crossing contact points and see if it stops. I had a wheel that was really loud and this silenced it.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    I had a similar noise at one point. It was one of the bolts that bolts the brake adapter to the Lefty sticking through just enough that under load it would touch the brake disk. I just got a boly 5mm shorter and the problem was solved.