mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Spindle Length for Hollowgram XX1?

I am going to get the Leonardi Hollowgram XX1 spider and I was wondering if anyone knows if a shorter spindle (ie 122mm, 128mm) will work with a 2012 Flash 29er or just the 132mm that came with the 2x10 setup?

Also Leonardi also sell a spider lock ring, do I need this as well or will the lock ring that came with my 2x10 hollowgram crankset work?

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm a big fan of using the shortest spindle you can get away with, I ride a cross bike a lot more than my mountain bikes nowadays so everytime I ride my mountain bikes, it feels odd to have the feet so widely spread apart.

But, what can you get away with? The 122mm might not work, not because of the ring alignement but because the actual crankarms may be too close (if not hitting) the chainstays. At some point, the CFR guys were using 122mm spindles on their Flash 29ers but they also machined the crankarms to remove some material on the inside of the arms, at the pedal ends... Also note that, the 122 and 128 spindles were only made for 68mm BB shells but the Flash (Carbon... I think) has a 73mm wide shell so you would either have to machine the lip off the spindle and use spacers on both sides (that's also what the CFR guys did) or tinker with spacers and cleat positioning to have the feet centered with the bike.

Basically, i's much simpler and safer to just use the 132 spindle but if you already have the softer spindles and want to experiment, go ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by KtKona View Post
    I am going to get the Leonardi Hollowgram XX1 spider and I was wondering if anyone knows if a shorter spindle (ie 122mm, 128mm) will work with a 2012 Flash 29er or just the 132mm that came with the 2x10 setup?

Also Leonardi also sell a spider lock ring, do I need this as well or will the lock ring that came with my 2x10 hollowgram crankset work?
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 02-14-2013 at 10:21 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Spindle Length for Hollowgram XX1?

Thanks, I have a machined "lip free" 128mm spindle that I will give a try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was able to use a 122mm with the Leonardi spider. I posted a new thread about it before I saw this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I recently received the Cannondale issue XX1 spider and it is too close for comfort with a 34t and 132mm spindle. The Cannondale version of the spider brings the chainring closer to center than the Leonardi which works no problem.

There is apparently a 137mm Cannondale SISL2 spindle for this set up and is the spindle the CFR team were using this year.