mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Specialized SX Trail vs. Prophet 2000

Hey all,

I already own a Scalpel 3000 for mostly urban cycling. Most of my friends go freeriding the weekends at Bromont. I'm not sure it's a good idea to bring my XC bike there. I was thinking of buying a good freeride bike, not too heavy like a downhill bike. At my LBS, I was looking at a Specialized SX Trail and the Prophet 2000. I never tried both, and I don't know anything about freeriding. The guy said that the Prophet is easier to pedal but the SX is more rugged. If I remember, they cost pretty much the same.

I really like my Cannondale and the Lefty. I know it works great but I think I want something different. Any suggestion? What are the pros and cons of these 2 bikes and how it will affect my riding?

Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    They look like two very different bikes. The Prophet is more a (wonderful) trail bike that can handle light freeride with clipless pedals, narrower rims, 160mm rotors... The SX Trail looks to be closer to what a freeride bike is with beefier wheels with through axles, flat pedals, 8" rotors, bash guard, . I don't know the SX too well but it looks like a decent machine. How much does it weigh? The Prophet 2000 is around 28-29 pounds stock. Your choice all depends on what you're going to do with the bike.

If you want to use it more than to go downhilling/freeriding with your friends, like climb Bromont (altough the XC trails suck there this year with all the ski trails they are building), go have some fun at nearby Rougemont or go ride the Mont-Royal trails during the week (although your Scalpel fits the bill there too), the Prophet would be a great choice. It can do almost anything very well including climbing. Set it to XC when you ride the trails, and switch to the FR setting when you go bomb downhill with your buddies. A perfect bike if you don't keep the Scalpel as it can go anywhere.

If you'll only ride the bike downhill and on freeride stuff, then the Specialized might be a better choice... Stronger but heavier for sure. Also, have you considered the Gemini? Definitely more bombproof and freeridable than the Prophet but still pedallable and lighter than many freeride/dh bikes.

Also, there are trails at Bromont where your Scalpel would be great too (I've had fun there with 5" fs bikes as much as with a 23 pounds racing hardtail), but probably not the ones your freerider friends like tough. Maybe you should go there and rent a freeride bike to try. If you don't know anything about freeriding, it might be a good idea to try it first to see if you like that type of riding before you spend over 3000$ CAD on a new bike...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 06-19-2005 at 02:34 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :