Thread: Spam or Real

Huge Tracts of Land

Spam or Real

I have just received a message from someone in the USA who has discovered I own an old cannondale.

The story is that they have had their C'Dale stolen, same year etc, but the lock company won't cough up any insurance $$ without a serial number. They want my serial number.

It's my oldest dale I have left living and don't really ride it anymore, so not too worried about it and unlikely to need the serial number for my own purposes.

It's well written and seems heartfelt. What would you do?
    Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't give it...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Retro Cannondale Addict
    I agree with Dan. It's probably some kind of scam. Don't give it up!

mtbr member
    I'm with the other guys, don't give it. If he is genuine he should be able to get it from his warranty info with Cannondale.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrat
    I have just received a message from someone in the USA who has discovered I own an old cannondale.

The story is that they have had their C'Dale stolen, same year etc, but the lock company won't cough up any insurance $$ without a serial number. They want my serial number.

It's my oldest dale I have left living and don't really ride it anymore, so not too worried about it and unlikely to need the serial number for my own purposes.

Have you tried a trace on their IP address? See if they are genuinely from the states and not some Nigerian "Scamming" ... ?

The only reason I'd be cautious about it, is if the person who wants your serial number is going to use it to scam someone else...(Maybe he's advertising a similar model to yours on Ebay (as a scam of course) and a potential buyer has asked for the # before buying...) Otherwise I'd say give it to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Once the guy has your serial number all he has to do is report "his" bike stolen to the the local police. After a short wait he can then notify the police that he has located "his" bike at your house and can prove it because the serial numbers match. Don't do it. I know- I'm a cop.

7hz
    Old newbie
    Also, supplying this information leaves you open to fraud accusations.

Stay WELL away!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hz

Stay WELL away!
    You can't argue with a beautiful German blonde girl with a big mug of beer!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrat

I guess if you really wanted to help him and are willing to take a chance, have him sign a letter saying where he got the serial number from you and have it notary sign it. If he is willing to spend a little to have a notary sign it, then he may be legit. If not, it's probably a scam.

Another jerk of an option would be to give a number that is one off an the end. Then if he does come after you saying you have his bike, things don't match. Then, maybe a charge for filing a faulse police report maybe in order.....
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 7hz

Stay WELL away!
    Oh yeah, that would be insurance fraud wouldn't it......

Ignore my last post then

Huge Tracts of Land
    Thanks for the comments.

I forgot to add that I am in New Zealand, he is in the USA. He would be a very talented thief to get my bike. That, and hang up, yup still there. They would have to crawl over 4 other newer Cannondales to get it.

My thoughts were that surely Cannondale must have records, are they helpful in assisting cutomers? I can imagine they must get quite a few calls re lost serial numbers.

Cheers
    Shailer
    Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Once the guy has your serial number all he has to do is report "his" bike stolen to the the local police. After a short wait he can then notify the police that he has located "his" bike at your house and can prove it because the serial numbers match. Don't do it. I know- I'm a cop.
    Kind of a long stretch don't you think?

Since the "scammer" is apparently located in the states and the op is in New Zealand!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Another jerk of an option would be to give a number that is one off an the end. Then if he does come after you saying you have his bike, things don't match. Then, maybe a charge for filing a faulse police report maybe in order.....
    Very bad idea, what if the number one off is the number on one of my bikes?

mtbr member
    The "Don't talk to strangers" rule also applies to ones online. Report the stranger who contacted you to the Mods of MTBR.com if this is where he contacted you from via a pm, etc...and get him banned from here. There is no legit reason why this person needs anyone else's serial number. You said, "It's well written and seems heartfelt. What would you do?" They certainly are not going to demand it at gunpoint from you right? And if the lock company wants the serial, what happens if they contact C-Dale and it turns up your the original buyer? I suppose he wont get his money? How else would they verify its the proper serial number this person has given to them? Commonsense says.... don't give the number ever. Why help a scammer? My god and your from innocent New Zealand! No wonder you seem so nice! I'm here in the USA and i can honestly say its a just a well thought out scam not inteneded to hurt you but someone else whos bike they stole and probably want to put a "legit" serial number on it. Its not a tearful, heartfelt request my friend.
    btw Lord of the Rings trilogy was awesome in movie form! ty for the fantastic scenery you have there!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Very bad idea, what if the number one off is the number on one of my bikes?
    but the police won't be at your house.................
    well at least for that