mtbr member

SOS Lefty Collar Sleeve Rust / Stain

The bike is a Flash hi-mod 2 (2011). The bike is just over a year old, used plenty. The de-colorization looks like rust, does anyone else have this problem & what would you suggest?

The sleeve on this bike has a gap, whilst my 29er has no gap. I have a feeling something there needs adjusting. Any suggestions on tools and where to read up on this.

The fork works perfect, infact, the bike is in terrific condition.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Cannondale wrote back to send it to:-

"....Cannondale retailer to have the headset and OPI stem disassembled and
    checked? I'm sure the color can be cleaned, but that does not tell us
    what is causing it.

please ask them to report their findings to their Cannondale
    representative. "

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had a similar issue on my previous lefty (2010 Carbon PBR 140mm). In my case it's the grease (Park Tool green grease) that caused the stain. I put too much grease on the headset at a time, got some left over on the lefty clamp (painted white) and forgot to wipe them out. After a while that area turned yellow / orange exactly like yours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    I had a similar issue on my previous lefty (2010 Carbon PBR 140mm). In my case it's the grease (Park Tool green grease) that caused the stain. I put too much grease on the headset at a time, got some left over on the lefty clamp (painted white) and forgot to wipe them out. After a while that area turned yellow / orange exactly like yours.

That's what I thought too, excess greasing will get my bike fully checked over soon. I think this is a rare occurrence as very few have come across it. Thank you.