Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Someone please tell me what I have. M400

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BeckyGG_PDX 
#1 ·
I picked this up from a friend who bought it out of a police auction. I took it completely apart and put it back together with everything just as it came from the auction. The only parts I replaced were the brake and shift cables.

The mystery for me is trying to identify this bike. Going through the vintage Cannondale catalogs, I see bikes with frames that look like this, but everything called an M400 has a conventional diamond frame. The headbadge logo puts it in the '97-'99 era.

It's just a hunch, but I doubt there is very much original left on this bike. It seems like it was cobbled together from a lot of parts/donor bikes. It rides and shifts very well, and it seem light compared to other smaller mountain bikes I've ridden. I'm not an off-roader, but I think this must have been a decent bike in its day.

If anyone has a clue, or can point me in the right direction, I'd really like to fix this bike up properly if I can track down the right bits and pieces. It seems like it might have been a very nice bike at one time.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

See less See more
#4 ·
It's a 14" frame M400. The M400 was part of the 3.8 Series mountain frame. Probably mid-90's.

"Our 3.8 Series mountain bikes... available in a unique 14-inch frame. Configured similarly to the Killer V models... provides extra strength at the head tube/ down tube junction. More importantly... provides the proper length top tube with plenty of stand-over height for exceptional crotch clearance".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.