mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Someone please tell me what I have. M400

I picked this up from a friend who bought it out of a police auction. I took it completely apart and put it back together with everything just as it came from the auction. The only parts I replaced were the brake and shift cables.

The mystery for me is trying to identify this bike. Going through the vintage Cannondale catalogs, I see bikes with frames that look like this, but everything called an M400 has a conventional diamond frame. The headbadge logo puts it in the '97-'99 era.

It's just a hunch, but I doubt there is very much original left on this bike. It seems like it was cobbled together from a lot of parts/donor bikes. It rides and shifts very well, and it seem light compared to other smaller mountain bikes I've ridden. I'm not an off-roader, but I think this must have been a decent bike in its day.

If anyone has a clue, or can point me in the right direction, I'd really like to fix this bike up properly if I can track down the right bits and pieces. It seems like it might have been a very nice bike at one time.

Someone please tell me what I have. M400-cannondale-m400.jpg

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Maybe bikepedia can help out a bit more with some info and pics.

Maybe a repaint with different stickers?

Looks like a Killer V frame. But you may want to get verification from someone that knows older cannondales.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I agree with the Killer V frame, but the markings definitely appear to be factory original, and it absolutely says "M400". Also, I have seen one other photo of an identical bike on the web, so that tells me this isn't a one-off.