mtbr member

some lefty questions

can anybody tell me when lefties were first introduced? 2000?

also, does anyone know which bikes had the 130mm lefty max and what kind of internal system it uses?

one more: when did the prophets and rushes get introduced? it looks like 2005 and 2006 respectively. thanks anyone.

mtbr member
    2005 on the Prophet (I believe) and 2006 on the Rush.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    As per SP, the 2005 prophet was the first year of production, though it came with a 140 Lefty Max.

The 130 Max came on the Jekylls or early Gemini 1000's (pre 05 obviously).
    The 130's came with the TPC or FFD system, don't believe it ever came with SPV.

Cannondale bike archive
    http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/archive/index.html

More info on lefty's:
    http://www.golefty.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Lefties came out in 1999 or 2000 I think. It was basically the older super beefy moto fork split in half. They first showed it along with the Raven when it was introduced if I remember well. Sure made quite an impression as being among the craziest looking bike of that era.

The 130mm Lefty Max was first used in 2003 on some Jeckylls and Geminis.

The Prophet was introduced along with the 140 Lefty Max in summer 2004 as a 2005 model, shipping later in 2004 and the Rush one year later. For 2006, the Prophet MX was added to the line and for 2007, the Carbon Rush was released.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    it was presented to the press in april 1999 and the first models were the on the 2000 line (june 1999)

mtbr member
    thanks guys.

i have another one for you all:

some lefties feel like you are pushing down on nothing but air (feels great). and some lefties feel like something metal is sliding/rubbing against something else thats metal. why is this?

i dont think its the spring cause i havent felt it on rear shocks with springs. unless its rubbing against something (sorry i dont know the internals of lefties). or maybe its the bearings?

i dont know. i have an old lefty jake that feels amazing. but i want more travel. ive thought about getting a longer fork (lefty max) vs. trading up to a bike with a lefty max, but every other bike i try out at the lbs has this rubbing issue in the lefty fork.

is it just me? is it the different lefties? why does mine feel so much better/smoother?

if it is the bearings, can this be serviced/fixed? cause i see it on brand new bikes.

LA CHÈVRE
    The spring of a shock can't rub against anything, the spring in a Lefty is compressed along the outer tube and can rub aginst it but not too much... and it should be greased anyway. My guess is the metal feeling you are talking about could have been the roller bearings that rolls on the metal races, with not enough grease, that could also have a rougher, metal feel.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-30-2007 at 04:08 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Many times, the tolerancing that a fork gets, has alot to do with how the builder is feeling. They take measurements, to get it close, then swap out races till it feels "right" Some builders at Cdale seem to like a stiff bearing preload, whjile others prefer a softer one. The ones your preference leans towards, are the softer ones. Any fork can be retoleranced to feel that way. Also, as Dan said, less grease makes the feeling more apparent.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com