mtbr member
    May 2005

Some Carbon Flash 29er weights

Since everyone was in such a hurry to build up their long awaited 29ers and didn't weigh them, here ya go.

Frame is complete with BB bearings, headset cups and bearings, seat collar and water bottle cage bolts, size Med. Pleasantly surprised at the crank weights, only 38 grams more than the Hollowgram triple, but REALLY wide Q-factor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize-6.jpg  

Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize8.jpg  

Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize10.jpg  

Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize-9.jpg  

Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize-5.jpg  

Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize-7.jpg  

Now broadcasting from CO
    Good to know... the cranks are lighter than I thought too. Thought they would come in closer to 700 g. Now I wait for mine to show up. It seems C-dale has no qualms not shipping a bike that has been paid for to a shop that is within walking distance from their old factory...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Got any more pics? Interested in the wheelset, what rear hub came on yours? It's not listed on the Cannondale site.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    which bottle cage ?

bearings weight 46 g pair , headset is 54 g pair = -100 g

to have right frame weight 1232 - 100 = 1132 - cage = ?

around 1100 g ...wow

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What do you mean "really wide Q"? I thought these FSA are about the same as Hollowgram triple.

Also worth mentioning that it seems there's a whole lot more posts about the 29'er Carbon Flash than the 26'er.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    which bottle cage ?

bearings weight 46 g pair , headset is 54 g pair = -100 g

to have right frame weight 1232 - 100 = 1132 - cage = ?

around 1100 g ...wow

He said "cage bolts" not with a cage so that's the weight though aluminium bmx bolts is a way to save a few more grams.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

FIRENZE rulez !!
    oh yes ... i red well his post ... so frame is 1130 g in a M size as mine ...

mtbr member
    anyone recall what a 2009 aluminum frame weighed for a comparison? I was banking on about a 500g drop which should get me down to around the 8.7kg (19.2 pound) mark with my current build that will be swapped over to the new carbon frame.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Haven't weighed the wheelset yet, but it is a DT 240 on Aerolite spokes and Arch rims, just like the website says, it's a 1. I thought about going to the Crest rims but I find the Arches are pretty flexy and I only weigh 150 pounds.
    The FSA cranks are 4 MM wider than the Hollowgrams, which are the widest crank I own. I don't get why they need to be so wide. It is a 73 mm shell, a first for C-Dale I believe. They wont go on a 68 mm shell, I tried to move them across to one of my Scalpels with no luck.

The frame was 1116 grams bare, I just didn't get a pic.

I put two rides on it this weekend, back to back 60 milers with 15,000' of climbing combined. I was pretty indifferent the first day, but after the fork broke in and I figured out how to ride it, I REALLY like it. I bought it for the Colorado Trail Race, 600 miles across Colorado unsupported, 360 miles of singletrack. It's gonna be great for this purpose.

It was 20.8 out of the box tubeless, some changes and it's 20.4 with pedals and cages. It will be down to mid 19 here pretty quick. It's only a pound lighter than my Scalpel and while it's a really nice ride, I think the only people who think 29er hardtails are the best bike ever made have never ridden a nice light FS 26er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-resize-1.jpg  

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    anyone recall what a 2009 aluminum frame weighed for a comparison? I was banking on about a 500g drop which should get me down to around the 8.7kg (19.2 pound) mark with my current build that will be swapped over to the new carbon frame.

i have a holiday bike , a F29er

naked frame , M size as Flash 29er
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Carbon Flash 29er weights-13062009-004-.jpg  

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    It is a 73 mm shell, a first for C-Dale I believe. They wont go on a 68 mm shell, I tried to move them across to one of my Scalpels with no luck.
    taurine has 73 mm shell too

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

awsome

I own that bike it's awsome. the frame weight would be lighter w/o headset bearings and bottom bracket bearings.

mtbr member

FSA or Hollowgram?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    Pleasantly surprised at the crank weights, only 38 grams more than the Hollowgram triple, but REALLY wide Q-factor.
    Are the FSA cranks worth it or is it better to upgrade to the Hollowgram? Heard the FSA bearings suck.
    &
    Are you racing Boggs? I love to see one up close.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nothing wrong with the FSA's. If you have some Hollowgrams lying around go for it, Hell, I have some lying around and I stayed with the FSA's. With some lighter chainrings they would be almost the same weight. Just run the bearings until they wear out, then get whatever you want, I'm running Phil Wood right now.

No Boggs for me, I've raced there so many times that I need a break. Coolest 24 will be the next race for me, I'll have the Scalpel and 29er for that. You're welcome to check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Questions for those lucky folks who have their Flash 1s already:

1. Are the BB bearings ceramic? The FSA website lists the aftermarket K Force BB30 as having ceramic bearings.

2. What cassette did it ship with? I hear some are coming through with low level Shimano cassettes vs. the SRAM 990 listed in the spec sheet.

mtbr member
    All FSA K-Force Light cranks come with ceramic BB bearings. I can't prove that they are in my BB from looking at them, but the BB bearings are exceptionally smooth.

My Flash Carbon 29er 1 came in with a SRAM PG-950 low end (HEAVY) cassette. I complained to the shop that the spec was supposed to be a PG-990. Cannondale sent a Shimano XT cassette to change out at no charge. The XT is about equivalent to the 990. I put on an XTR and sold the XT to a buddy.

The shop trimmed my hoses and cables to the correct length, since my position was set with a 110mm stem/steerer. The bike is now down to 19.52 lbs! That's is with the stock triple crank.