Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Can't stop the Prophet

So what's in your saddle bag/back pack?

I know this isn't really Cannondale specific but I just feel a warmer climate in this section than any of the others.

So as the title states, What is in your saddle bag/back pack?

Thought it would be interesting to find out what everyone is taking with them on the trail.

mtbr member
    Normally I use a a seat bag for everyday riding that includes a tube, lever, inflater with extra cartridge, multi-tool, spare link and connector and spare der. hanger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skinl19
    Normally I use a a seat bag for everyday riding that includes a tube, lever, inflater with extra cartridge, multi-tool, spare link and connector and spare der. hanger.
    + rubber gloves, sawn off tooth brush, cable ties, small roll of insulation tape.

i'm thinking of getting a byrdrench multi-tool too as it has a moving spanner.

mtbr member
    saddle bags are for NOOBS get with the program

http://www.backcountryresearch.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    and where do you put your tool, up your shorts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    and where do you put your tool, up your shorts?
    bike jerseys have THREE pockets in the back

you can fit a lezyne crv12 multi-tool, spare tube, two 16g c02's and inflator in to them with room to spare for Gu and a Clif bar or two and a ten dollar bill.

everything fits nice and sleek no rattling and it's not so much junk that your jersey sags.

i have a sram powerlink taped to my shifter cable incase my chain snaps and i need to repair it trail side.

somehow in the last fifteen years i've been able to get myself out of any trailside/backcountry jam with just what i can carry in my back pocket of my jersey.

i do carry a micro-pump and small patch kit when riding solo on the road being stuck out forty miles from your truck with two flats sucks.

LA CHÈVRE
    I use the jersey pockets as well, hate rattling saddle bags, not a fan of back packs either. But I travel light, I don't even carry tubes and air for XC races thanks to UST tires. I will use a Camelbak for longer races or rides where I need more to drink, more stuff to bring along...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I don't even carry tubes and air for XC races thanks to UST tires.
    I'm not a professional and get paid to finish races so I gave up long ago taking a tube or any tools for a two hour XC race just a big-air in the back pocket.

It's been years since i've done any "marathon/24hour" type of races and on those i'd take the stuff listed in my other post and a light camelback for extra water.

when in colorado or any other place where i'm gonna be riding all day far away from the trail head i'll pack maybe a map, extra tube, c02 and rain jacket and lunch.

i seriously don't get where folks get the idea that they need to carry an entire tool box on their backs or saddle bag to ride.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    I'm not a professional and get paid to finish races so I gave up long ago taking a tube or any tools for a two hour XC race just a big-air in the back pocket.

It's been years since i've done any "marathon/24hour" type of races and on those i'd take the stuff listed in my other post and a light camelback for extra water.

when in colorado or any other place where i'm gonna be riding all day far away from the trail head i'll pack maybe a map, extra tube, c02 and rain jacket and lunch.

i seriously don't get where folks get the idea that they need to carry an entire tool box on their backs or saddle bag to ride.
    Thing is, I haven't had a flat since I started using UST years ago so, there is still a risk but it's so small that I'm taking it... And I too am just racing to have fun... But pros don't carry tubes in XC races, they will usually ride on the rim until the next tech zone. Of course, the longer the event, the further you go, the more you try to be able to keep riding, walking for 2 hours ain't fun.

Maybe people wouldn't need as much tools if they kept their bikes well maintained in the first place! I have used my tools to fix friend's or other people's bikes more than mine... I take tools more in case I meet the perfect girl needing help with her bike than to fix mine! That's a risk I wont take!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous

Maybe people wouldn't need as much tools if they kept their bikes well maintained in the first place!
    Bingo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    a well maintained bike is all good, (and pretty obvious really), but a good boy scout is always prepared especially when it comes to saving damsels in distress.

one of these will be on someone's flash before long...

http://noquedanblogs.com/diseno/handlebar-basket/

LA CHÈVRE
    a well maintained bike is all good, (and pretty obvious really), but a good boy scout is always prepared especially when it comes to saving damsels in distress.

one of these will be on someone's flash before long...

http://noquedanblogs.com/diseno/handlebar-basket/
    Hummm, these do look nice, nice as in on the commuter to bring a six-pack of beer on the way back from work...

mtbr member
    but a good boy scout is always prepared especially when it comes to saving damsels in distress.
    I met my future wife on the trail she was struggling with a flat tire I stopped to help the rest is history

Ridin' dirty!
    I met my future wife on the trail she was struggling with a flat tire I stopped to help the rest is history
    That's why one should always carry a spare tube and tools even if the bike is well maintained...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member

New question here.

saddle bags are for NOOBS get with the program

http://www.backcountryresearch.com/
    Nice one.
    I think I will order some. Never hear of these before, very clever idea How is the quality? Does it work?
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    Nice one.
    I think I will order some. Never hear of these before, very clever idea How is the quality? Does it work?
    of course they work!

one of the local hot shots that does the 24hr worlds around here swears by em' I got one a year ago but left it at a car wash by mistake when we had to do emergency bike wash due to mud caked bikes post ride and no place at the motel to wash em'.

this guy makes a good quality knock off too in colors

http://www.byekyle.com/

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    generally speaking-
    For backcountry: medium sized CB backpack; cell phone, a local map, tube/pump, LS capilene tshirt, windpants, bandana, zip ties, an old toothbrush chopped and sanded to resemble a Quickstick/lever wrapped with a couple of feet of electrical tape, a $5 bill, expired driver's license, a small first aid kit, needle w/some thread, and a 5 inch survival knife, at least 3 energy bars and a bottle of 3 hour energy.
    For "regular" rides: same as above minus the knife/extra clothes.

mtbr member
    I got this bag NEW on ebay for $16 + $4 shipping. http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/...k_medium_Quick. I carry one tube, 2 levers, a multi-tool, and a link in it. Small pump mounted with water bottle cage. Cell phone, ID, and keys in jacket pockets.
    Last edited by MegaMustang; 02-27-2010 at 02:25 AM.
    I just wanna ride....

mtbr member
    of course they work!

one of the local hot shots that does the 24hr worlds around here swears by em' I got one a year ago but left it at a car wash by mistake when we had to do emergency bike wash due to mud caked bikes post ride and no place at the motel to wash em'.

this guy makes a good quality knock off too in colors

http://www.byekyle.com/
    What ashamed. Wanted to get/try these "Awesome Strap" but they don't ship to HK
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Funny... I once tried to get through airport security with a big air in my back pocket. I packed for a week long getaway and when packing my bike shipping box earlier that morning, I temporarily put it in my left rear pocket. But then forgot it. Going through security, it didn't set off the alarm, but got patted down and it was found. Only then did I learn that it was butane, and not CO2.

Crap. That nearly killed my whle vacation. It took me a LONG time to get cleared. Couldn't fly out till the next day. Only the fact that I had packed a bike and the big innovations web site saved my ass from being put on a no-fly list.

...just a big-air in the back pocket.
    Last edited by almontebarnes; 02-27-2010 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    inhaler and cell phone

rebelssof@yahoo.com
    Man I wish I could travel as light as some of you have stated but I am a type 1 diabetic and I normally carry more that enough food, sugar pills, glucose shot, a few tools, tube, cell phone and meter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    In the Saddle bag I have all the tools needed to fix punctures,chain tool even a strip of old side wall for those "nails" I tend to hit,
    Everything wrapped together and zipped and velcro'd shut,no rattles

In my camelback I carry my phone,energy bars etc, poss a spare pair of biking gloves depending on how cold it is,everything in a clear plastic bag to keep everything dry (Im in England .. it rains a bit )
    And my digi cam on top of everything,
    I don't realy ride less than 15 miles,mostly 20 - 40 miles so I need to know I can fix most stuff that the trails/roads throw my way,

Ive lost count of the times Ive seen people in trouble with no means of fixing punctures etc because they wanted to keep it light,and they call me "Mr Toolkit"

KK..

mtbr member
    I keep everything in my jersey pockets. Phone, tube, C02, tire lever. sometimes a tool and food.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang
    I got this bag NEW on ebay for $16 + $4 shipping. http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/...k_medium_Quick. I carry one tube, 2 levers, a multi-tool, and a link in it. Small pump mounted with water bottle cage. Cell phone, ID, and keys in jacket pockets.

I have had bad experiences with saddle bags that have a plastic "mounting system". Maybe it's just me, but they tend to snap after a long period of time. I have been through 3 and have just done away with em. I wear a camelbak so everything I need is in there. Due to the sport not having many followers here trails are far and usually away from civilization. Actually, trails here are not trails they are dirt paths which are used by herders so running into someone in need or someone to help is usually out of the question. My pack consists of just about everything you can imagine just off the top of my head:

2 inner tubes
    patch kit
    tire levers
    mini pump
    multi tool
    2 extra links
    der hanger
    cell phone
    Gerber firecracker flashlight
    small pocket knife
    light rain jacket
    couple of power bars
    Maybe a small sandwitch

Will add a small digital camera as soon as I find the one I'm after.
    Last edited by brows141; 03-01-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast