Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SL4 1.5 Headtube Reducer New 1-1/8 Fork

I have a Cannondale SL4 2012 with 1.5" head tube.
    I want to install a Rock Shock Reba that is 1-1/8 (shock is not tapered).

Rockshox Reba Rlt Ti Dual Air Fork 120 mm Qr

Which headset or adapters do I need to make it work?

Is there anything more I need to know about making it work out?

Can you recommend which spacer to use on top to increase height and will fit clean.

I have seen a lot of mixed info searching the forum and web, but I'm not totally clear on the part numbers to order to make it work.

I went to a couple LBS and they all told me to go search the internet to figure it out because it was not worth their time to research what I needed.

The LBS said I have an integrated top and external bottom headset.
    They said this is irregular and didnít' know what headset would come in that format.
    They said they think I would need to buy two headsets to cannibalize, one internal for the top and one external for the bottom.

It looks to me like these could work:

Chris King 1.5" Devolution Reducer Headset

FSA Orbit DL 1.5R Reducing Headset (websites show multiple variations with this same name)

Cane Creek ZS49/28.6|ZS49/30 (1.5" - 1-1/8" Conversion Standard)

Cane Creek 110 ZS49 (Conversion Headset)

I wonder why the Cane Creek 110 ZS is more then double price of the 40 series headset,
    is it this:
    "The Cane Creek 110 ZS Headset fits has stainless bearings feature Split-Lip seals for twice the protection of a typical cartridge bearing."

Do I also need this:
    Cane Creek 40-Series Conversion Crown Race from
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 08-10-2012 at 11:32 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    It is confirmed this is the correct headset for my frame and fork combination:

Cane Creek 40.ZS49/30.Complete # BAA0077K
    This allows me to put a 1-1/8 steering tube fork (not tapered) into my straight head tube that is 1.5" on Top & Bottom.

The fork I have is uncut but I have no concept of how much will extend up from the top tube once installed, but I can have it cut to the "right" height as needed.
    I prefer it to be relatively tall head tube but with a shorter stem for my arm length.
    I also looked up the CC brand spacers for the CC headset, and based on the height of my current headset, I will get 10mm spacers.

I have to replace my current stem to a 1-1/8 unit so I went looking so I waded through the long list of stems and think this is a good choice for me:
    Easton Haven Stem 55mm in mag color
    I want the 55-60 mm length and it will match nicely with my Easton Haven Carbon Bar and Easton Carbon Seat Post.
    It is a zero rise stem, but like I said my uncut fork should give me all the height I want.
    I also looked at this 30 deg riser stem as a way to boost my height if necessary:
    Ritchey 30 Degree Comp Stem

Do you all feel there is any perceivable pro / con on the trails with a 1-1/8 steering tube instead of the 1.5 on your bikes?

mtbr member
    Cannondale part # KP 058 is their "official" part to reduce SI headsets to 1.125" stearer tubes.

Headset reduction to 1 1 / 8 " - Dr. Cannondale

If have one laying around that was installed but never ridden. PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Cannondale part # KP 058 is their "official" part to reduce SI headsets to 1.125" stearer tubes.

Headset reduction to 1 1 / 8 " - Dr. Cannondale

If have one laying around that was installed but never ridden. PM me if you're interested.
    I do not think this kit for the headshok applies to me.
    Please let me know?

mtbr member
    Well I went ahead and order the new headset with spacers and a new stem.

Cane Creek 110 ZS 49 conversion headset (black) = $150
    Cane Creek Interlocking spacers 4x10mm + 2x5mm + 2x 2.5mm (black) = $60
    Easton Haven Mountain Bike Stem (Black and Mag) = $110

I could have saved about $75 by going with the CC 40 series instead of the 110 but the 110 offers a few internal design features that better stabilize a smaller (1-1/8) steering tube.

I could have also saved $ on the interlocking spacers, but I want to know they will fit perfect when I go to assemble it all, on the first try.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 08-12-2012 at 01:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    I do not think this kit for the headshok applies to me.
    Please let me know?
    Irrelevant now but that kit converts any Cannondale SI headtube to 1.125" standard stearer tube.

You're 100% that the CC110 will work? I only ask because I remember this thread from way back.

Reducer headset for a Taurine frame.

The KP058 100% fits a Flash frame with SI headtube.
    Last edited by driver bob; 08-12-2012 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    When I changed my fork from 1.5" to a tapered I changed the headset with the Cane Creek 40 and had no issues with the install. The 110 just had a better warranty and internals IIRC, so the OP should be good...assuming they got the correct parts. I called CC and spoke to them to make sure I got the correct setup.
    To OP's other question about 1 1/8" response on the trails with 1.5" frame...to each their own. Personally, I liked the fact that I could use a tapered steerer for a stronger/more solid feeling front end.

mtbr member
    I called Cannondale (twice to confirm) they said the Cannondale Trail SL4,3,2 models use a standard 1.5" headtube and the cane creak will fit perfect and they even recommend it.
    I called cane creek and they verified the same thing.

However, I was told the Flash and some other models which say 1.5" on the head tube are actually a few mm larger and a regular 1.5" headset wont fit them.
    There is a special headset for those models apparently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    I called Cannondale (twice to confirm) they said the Cannondale Trail SL4,3,2 models use a standard 1.5" headtube and the cane creak will fit perfect and they even recommend it.
    I called cane creek and they verified the same thing.
    Post some pictures when its all done

mtbr member
    Alright everybody I got my bike back from the shop today with all the new stuff.
    Cannondale SL4 26" 2012
    Cane Creek 110 ZS49 Headset (Reducing 1.5 to 1-1/8)
    Cane Creek Locking Spacers 55mm
    Easton Haven Stem 55mm (Magnesium)
    Easton Haven Handle Bars 711mm (Carbon)
    RockShock Reba RLT Ti 120mm (1-1/8")

Here's the photos as promised:

mtbr member
    Looks good

Just Ride
    The new parts look good!

What's with the LBS saying it's not worth their time? Sounds like you need to find a new LBS. That kind of response from mine would make me never shop there again!

"If it's not worth your time to help me, then it's not worth my time to shop here." Would have been a good rebuttal!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    It is looking nice. You definately got a sweet deal on that fork!
    What did you put in that sandwich?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice! Thank you SO MUCH for the post! This just saved me a BUNCH of time. I'm trying to upgrade the same exact bike after the stock fork failed. I got so confused with the whole "integrated headset system" and non-standard 1.5" headset. Gone on any rides yet? How does it feel? I may go with your setup to simplify things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Question - what are the spacers for and where can I get them? I google search came up unfruitful.

EDIT - Nevermind found these Cane Creek 110 Series Interlok 5/10mm Spacer Black, how many is needed or how to I figure that out?

mtbr member
    I measured (using a regular tape measure) the current height of my headset from the frame to the top of the headset.
    It was about 50mm.
    I knew might actuallt want it taller so I bought 60mm of spacers.
    The cane creek locking spacers are very expensive but they fit perfect with their headsets.
    I have had past issues with spacers that were not locking shifting around and also the headset cap not properly fitting the spacers.
    So I paid the premium to get the cane creek spacers.
    You may want to google or mtbr search for people using the CC headsets and what other spacers fit well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ok, so if I'm looking at your bike pictures correctly, you have x2 10m spacers and x1 5mm spacers under the stem and the same on top? But I can just cut the steerer shorter to eliminate the spacers on top?

mtbr member
    Yes it can be cut to any length.
    I left it long just in case I wanted to raise my stem, which I did.
    I moved the spacers down and the stem up with only a 2.5mm +cap at the top.

bsi
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry for the digging out 2year old thread...
    Just want to make sure before I brake something.
    The two bearings that are installed in the head tube (in the CDale SI head tube) needs to be pushed out before installing the 1 1/8 reducer, right?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    The reducer could potentially work with your old bearings. But I recommend getting bearings that match thr new headset so the seams fit tightest and minimize gaps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi Trail_Blazer, i need some help from you!

I have a Cannondale Trail SL2 (2012), and i'm going to change the steerer (i've bought a Magura TS8R Tappered). I need to put a reducer, but i don't know what i need...

can you give me some information? thanks!

mtbr member
    The best thing to do is call cane creak directly and speak to their sales or techs. They will tell you the exact model to order.
    They have so many its easy to choose wrong.
    I have done it both ways. LoL

Get your bike specs from the cannondale website ready before calling also you can look on bike pedia for the specs of head tube size top and bottom and the size of your fork.

One hint i can give is.
    You will want an internal top and internal bottom and dont forget the bottom cover which seals it.
    The cover often has to be hammered onto the fork with a tool.

You should also get two or three 2.5 5 10mm locking spacers from cane creak to go above and under the stem for handlebars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    The best thing to do is call cane creak directly and speak to their sales or techs. They will tell you the exact model to order.
    They have so many its easy to choose wrong.
    I have done it both ways. LoL

Get your bike specs from the cannondale website ready before calling also you can look on bike pedia for the specs of head tube size top and bottom and the size of your fork.

One hint i can give is.
    You will want an internal top and internal bottom and dont forget the bottom cover which seals it.
    The cover often has to be hammered onto the fork with a tool.

You should also get two or three 2.5 5 10mm locking spacers from cane creak to go above and under the stem for handlebars.
    The Headset is the Tange Seiki 1'5", in a frame Trail SL, like your old SL4 :P

I think, i only need the internal top for change the steerer.

right?

thnx

mtbr member
    When you call them they want to know the milimeter spacing of the top and bottom because 1.5" isnt the way canecreek measures some parts are only in mm.

I was glad to replace the old bottom unit as it was full of crud and didnt have a sealed bearing. The replacement unit from canecreek is pretty cheap but well made and sealed good, imho worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast