mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Signal to watch for to re-set on Lefty Max140

To all the Lefty expert here , I would like to know is there any sign to look for to determine when a lefty is due for a re-set ?

I have a 07 Max with the old oil and spring set up , no air , ridden it for almost two full seasons , about 300 hrs worth with not much done to it other than cleaning the mud off , the rig still feel ok and rock it without any noticable issue , just want to find out if I should open it up to have a look or keep riding until some sign shows up?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I measure mine(2010 Max 140) from the bottom to the top(not including the red knob). It is supposed to be 71 centimeters. If it gets below 70 I reset the shock. However, this is my first season with lefty and I would like to know if I'm doing it right.
    "Flow" is characteristic of the rider, not of the trail.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I just wait 'till I feel a top out clunk. Just press down on the HB and let it off quick. If it feels like it hit something (clunk) rather than smoothly returns, you know it's time to reset.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Topping out is your fork yelling at you, (albeit, without any worrisome impending damage concerns).

This typically occurs at more than 50% travel loss or so.

I reset mine before it gets to topping out. Just did mine tonight, and gained about 1.5" on my older TPC 140. It's bearing preload build is on the light end, so I rest it about once every 10 rides or so. Love the buttery ride quality of it, so it's worth the frequency for my needs.

At 300 hours, it would amaze me if you didn't need some resetting. Rather than waiting for a sign, (though, topping out, and measurement are good indicator tools) I just reset mine on an even interval. You'll figure out how often you need to, if you do it regularly at first, till you get how long you can ride before it's worth pulling the cap off to do the job....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Topping out is your fork yelling at you, (albeit, without any worrisome impending damage concerns).

This typically occurs at more than 50% travel loss or so.

I reset mine before it gets to topping out. Just did mine tonight, and gained about 1.5" on my older TPC 140. It's bearing preload build is on the light end, so I rest it about once every 10 rides or so. Love the buttery ride quality of it, so it's worth the frequency for my needs.

At 300 hours, it would amaze me if you didn't need some resetting. Rather than waiting for a sign, (though, topping out, and measurement are good indicator tools) I just reset mine on an even interval. You'll figure out how often you need to, if you do it regularly at first, till you get how long you can ride before it's worth pulling the cap off to do the job....
    I'm lucky if I can get 10 rides on my Lefty before it starts to top out which is why I don't reset more often....and another reason why I just added thickness to my inner races.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I reset my Lefty 140 max carbon (w/SPV) every 3 rides. Usually I gain back ~1/2" in travel. It is so simple to do you just need a bottom bracket tool. Take the cap off with the tool, take the 2 split rings off with your fingers, grab the wheel and give it a few light rams down. Looking down from the top you will see it reset back to full travel. Then put back on the 2 split rings and then the cap. That's it, less than 2 minutes, full travel restored. Since you've gone a full season, I'd send the lefty to Senor Smith at Mendoncycles if I were you, for him to change the oil and check it all out, replacing anything worn or damaged. Great service, reasonable price. It will thenl be as good as new after that, believe me.