Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sick Mick Off of Cannondale

Wonder whose decision this was?

LINK

mtbr member
    Any suggestions who will replace Sick Mick at the Cut Team ? After the Kona Team with Fabien Barel und the Honda Team have vanished there seems to be some interesting options.....

mtbr member
    My hope is that they do replace him; and that this doesn't signify their lack of commitment to the DH segment. Wonder who fired whom?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    Any suggestions who will replace Sick Mick at the Cut Team ? After the Kona Team with Fabien Barel und the Honda Team have vanished there seems to be some interesting options.....
    Honda team is gone? (Sorry, but I don't constantly follow the news )
    Wasn't Honda working on a sick gearbox/chain-less drivetrain for MTB's or something?
    Sorry, didn't mean to change the subject here...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    voices are that also dickmann and hatton are no more in the cut....

mtbr member
    Damn; C'dale will turn [back] into a road/XC company. Maybe my Judge will now be worth something.

I felt the Cut was pretty lame anyways; no real substance. Kind of a half-arse marketing effort.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yes i think the same...and i don't like this new trend. They have good products but the marketing it's a little ridiculous. If they turn back in this direction my next bike will not be a c'dale....

LA CHÈVRE
    So you choose your bikes because a certain pro rider is paid to ride it? If the product is great, the bike rides perfectly, ride it. Pros change teams all the time, sometimes they get fired, sometimes they leave on their own, sometimes they want too much money, sometimes they want to ride with their friends on the same team... it's just the way it is.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    True Dan, but you have to admit that pros winning races on a brand's bike helps that brand's image. Besides the fact that it does give the brand credibility. What if Mick wanted off of Cannondale because he felt their bikes were limiting him? I did consider the Sunday before I got my Judge simply because Sam HIll is just fast as shite on one; as well as the Demo because so many pros have ridden it. Not that I think I'll ever be as fast or as good as them obviously. But it's marketing 101. The Cut is just a half--baked effort to get Cannondale into the FR/DJ/DH segment. But if you check the DH/FR board here as an example, Cannondale is rarely considered a top of mind brand for these riders. Not sure how exactly they can overcome this (besides building kick-arse bikes); but I imagine truly investing in this community would be a start.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I don't get why people think it is halfast effort? Wayne Goss gets in all the mags, Aaron (when he is healthy) gets in all the mags. Mick got podiums at a lot of races, and CVD is an amazing ambassador for the sport.

Just like Dan said people leave for various reasons. Maybe Mick wanted more money? Maybe his faith led him in another direction. Maybe he had a personality conflict with someone else on the team. Who knows, but either way we can all agree that Cannondale does make great bikes and someone somewhere will always be shredding on one having the time of their life...No matter who the company is sponsoring at that time.

LA CHÈVRE
    I understand the marketing value of a big name racer that has results but it's pretty much common knowledge that a rider of the caliber of Sam Hill, Greg Minaar or Steve Peat can achieve the same results with pretty much any bike. Not all bikes are the same but most pros don't care as much as we think they do. But Mick is good and all but he's not up there with the best either, maybe he's not such a good value from a marketing standpoint after all? Maybe he left but maybe Cannondale felt they don't get the results that they would hope... I don't know, maybe Cannondale think exactly like you do and feel that Mick doesn't help them get into the FR/DH community so they want to try something else, they wont abandon the market. And yes, Aaron Chase, Chris and others, are pretty great riders...

It's hard to replace someone of Cedric stature though, even if he doesn't win anything (which is the case since he left Cannondale for a supposedly better bike), he has tons of fans and he has the charisma that Mick will never have. Whatever the reason, Mick will go on and Cannondale too but I think it would be better for the company to have a rider that has more... stature? Presence? I always thought Mick was too low-profile to be the star of the team, when you are low profile and shy, you need to perform and beat everyone else to be a good marketing tool!

I think Cannondale are very supportive of cycling in general, they have teams and riders in pretty much all spheres of cycling, from european roadies, top US based road team, new-england cyclocrossers, grassroots mountain bikers in XC and DH, top XC racers in europe, marathon and 24 hours racers in the US, the Cut... Cannondale supports racers at pretty much every level much more than most other bike companies.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just because a product is good or the best doesn't necessarily mean that it would automatically sell. That's why companies spend tons of money on marketing. Except for Gracia most pro mtbs look like walking billboards.

I was up at Whistler during Crankworks. Everyone and every company was that is in the mountain bike business was there including Cannondale. I saw lots of different DH/FR bikes. I saw V10s, Demo 8/9s, Giant DH, IronHorse DH and many other brands. I even saw 2 privately owned White Cove STDs. That color was the last to ship and were just shipping at that time. What sad is that the only Judge that I saw besides mine was the ones Cannondale employees had brought. The Judge is a proven WC winner. Cannondale is doing a lousey job marketing it if a Judge was a rare item to see at Crankworks.

mtbr member
    I agree; at Northstar this summer I saw only 1 Perp and no Judges. At my local bike shop full of DHers I brought in my Judge and they thought it was my old Prophet. The Judge has very little brand recognition in the DH segment; and since we all feel it's an excellent bike, this can only be due then to marketing and promotion (or lack thereof). The Perp, with its recent reviews in zines like Decline and Pinkbike, I imagine is getting some traction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't know how many of you know this, But Cannondale has a very small marketing budget. They choose to have the product do the talking instead of paying off the industry like specialized or Santa Cruz does.

gl1
    Jan 2006
    Sorry Dan, I think you are missing some details. If you look at the WC scene, only a couple of riders are at the top. A few others win World rounds, as Mick has, but only a couple of riders are winning consistently, namely Sam, Greg and Steve. Therefore, the chances of Cannondale grabbing a rider of that quality, is pretty low. I don't think Mick's performance on the WC circuit has a lot to do with him leaving.

From the rumours going around here in Aus, it seems like it was a Cannondale decision to drop him from the team. I get the vibe that Cannondale feel winning a downhill WC round is not a significant factor in selling their bikes, as a few people have already pointed out - that can be seen by how much coverage road, cyclocross and a less of an extent cross country get on the Cannondale site, compared to the downhill. Maybe Cannondale want more bang with their buck when it comes to DH, but realistically, guys like Cedric or World-beaters like Sam Hill (who is a freak!!) are a rarity. Again, I bought my Prophet based on how well it rode and to a lesser extent reviews. If I want to buy a DVD, then I will be interested in the riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Two other factors in bike sales is that the downhill/freeride market is only 1% of the companies annual bike sales. So It would make sense to invest more money into bikes that have a return on there marketing investment. That is why they put much of there marketing dollars into there demo fleets. It is more likely that a person will buy the bike if they have an opportunity to ride it first. If you notice they have a larger demo fleet then any other company. They also like to sponsor more of the grass ruts riders because a company is more likely to sell bikes in a particular area if the local star is riding the bike.

mtbr member
    I quite agree that buying a bike must rely on logic and not marketing.
    But not everyone thinks like that, for example roadies with their multi thousand euro machines are more profitable to a company (For instance in Greece the top of the line SuperSix carbon road bike is bought by the store for 4.500 euros and retails for 10.250!!!!!) and there are a lot of people that think that the "liquigas weapon" will make them a better rider and buy it without even doing a test ride on it!!!
    On the other hand I've seen in other threads within this forum a quote "The Sunday is a very good bike and since Hill is doing so well on it I will buy it!!!!!" and falls under the same principal with the liquigas guys stated above.
    Scott has done a huge promotional thing for their new FR/DH bike the "Gambler" and from their pre-production orders the bike is going extremely well.
    All I've seen from the Judge in the press is an MBA article 2 years ago (Gold FR-1 model) and another one at MBR about a 1,5 year ago (a blue FR-2).
    Concluding in Greece there are 3 Judges I'm a proud owner of one of them and if I have the oportunity I'll buy another one in a heartbeat because it's a sweeeeet bike.
    Last edited by k.kazantzoglou; 11-01-2007 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dan, i have had only C'dale bikes. I have started with a F500 , a Jekill 700, a Gemini 1000, a Gemini DH and today a Judge and a Prophet MX. The problem is not Sick Mick, i am a big fan of Sam Hill but not for this reason i have a Sunday! The problem is if the big C is coming in another direction. No prophet mx this year ...bad! No slopestyle frames, ok we have 3 Perp's but it's not the same. And the judge? only a frame! So if you want scalpels, scalpels carbon, rush or rush carbon you can choose a lot because the company is much more involved in this segment and obviously in the road.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Don't worry Banano, there is a bike in the works to fill the voids you speak of. It's not that C'dale doesn't care about the FR, DH scene. It's that cdale is just buried under the marketing spiel of all the other companies. I think specialized said once that only people who hate kittens and drown puppies ride Cannondales.

For real though, one of the biggest problems Cannondale has is that it is Handmade in USA and that it tries to come up with it's own ideas. The iron horse just uses someone else's technology. Same with Santa Cruz, Intense, etc. When you have the collective marketing efforts of all the companies using the holiest of holy DW link there is no way Cannondale could compete even with a 3 million dollar budget. As for the USA comment, Cannondale's FR bikes are so expensive to develop, make and market they charge a premium price to cover all the expense of making them. People who ride DH / FR like anyone else are always looking for the best deal and we can definitely face the fact that Cannondale is not the best deal. It may be one of the best bikes on the planet, but hey it ain't cheap and that is the biggest reason why you see 100 Kona's for every Cannondale.

-R

mtbr member
    Not sure about the Cannondale demo fleet - I was all set to buy a Perp and ride one, but my local truck had none. Luckily he had a Judge which is what swayed my decision towards getting one. But the majority of bikes on there were road bikes and the XC ones everyone loves.

On the Cannondale pricing, I feel they're actually a decent deal. I mean, look at the Perp 3 - $2K for a complete (albeit cheap) build?! And I got my '07 Judge 1 (decent component set included) recently for $3000.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, i think it's too early to write cannondale off. their lineup for next year is simply put be spectacular if the new 130 and 160mm frames lives up to the expectations. if they can make a sp design that's less reliant on platform dampening, great. apparently the finished design is gonna look quite different from the photo most of us has seen so i'm really excited about that one.

for one, i've been trying to talk myself into buying a judge all week long, but simply cannot find compelling enough arguments to justify it. simply put, i don't need it, though it would be fun to try one. none of the terrain i currently ride would benefit enough to justify using a judge instead of my commencal supreme. but don't we all want what we can't have, even if we don't need it? anyway, here's a pic of the one i was thinking about getting:

i think it is simply stunning, but i'm not sure it's better than the new commencal supreme dh frame due next year.
    Last edited by klinkekule; 11-01-2007 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Klink> It's a beauty, and note (1) you can make it light and (2) you can pedal it. Did you ride it yet?

mtbr member
    Update - press release from Mick:

November 2, 2008

Michael Hannah - 2008 Ride Plans

“It seems that some of the MTB media have picked up on a media release regarding my 2008 plans and my relationship with Cannondale. Unfortunately a lot of the postings have contained inaccuracies and have left me in a position where I feel I have to set the record straight.

First of all my contract with Cannondale is still current until the end of the year and I have full intentions to honour that as Cannondale has always done the right thing by me.

Some time ago, Cannondale approached me with a plan for 2008. They left the ball in my court to decide on things and considering my time with Cannondale has been nothing but enjoyable, I really did think this was my future riding home. I could not make a decision by my deadline so I chose to let the offer go. To be honest nothing has really changed at all other than the fact that I have some opportunities arising at home and I am a little tired of traveling. I have been out riding for a number of years now, and even with the great support the Daniel (Hespeler), Rory (Mason) and all the rest of the Cannondale crew have always given me, I have found myself asking whether this is what I want to be doing next year (and perhaps beyond). I have always been a rider who likes to give 100% at every event and at this stage I am unsure of my future and Cannondale is not a company that deserves less than 100% from their riders.

My biggest regret is in not being able to put this into the proper words for those who have supported me, particularly Cannondale, and thus letting a situation be created where their brand could be hurt in anyway. I was stupid to share my thoughts with someone without explaining it properly or fully and the industry being what it is the next thing I know all of you are writing about my leaving Cannondale.

I want to state two things very clearly - I am not actively looking for another team although I have been approached AND I have never been happier with a bike than I have been with the Judge. To be honest guys, some of the waffle that I have seen written on the various forums is just not true. I have at this stage no plans for 2008 and do not intend actively looking for anything until I am sure in my own mind and heart that this is what I want to be doing. I want to spend more quality time with Hannah and my family for starters.

I would like to thank Cannondale for their awesome support and all of my other sponsors for their kind words - and in particular all of the people who have written about their disappointment in my perhaps not riding in the World Cup in 2008. This will not be the last you all see of me at that level - but it just might be in a different way in the future. Thanks to all of you.”

Any queries should be directed to Michael.

- Gavin Donehue

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    see? nothing to worry about. the guy is taking some time to reprioritize and cannondale is filling the void of the prophet. go c! hehe.

and kev, nope. not yet. the weather has been abyssmally bad over here lately so haven't gotten to ride my bike at all. not that i have the time anyway. i need to get a really good set of lights so i can ride at night as it gets dark at five to six here, and yes pitch black. hehe. i really wanna try it though as it would prob be really fun to try this kinda bike. though i'm a sucker for expensive gear this one is built up pretty much perfectly i think. or a revox would be nice.. hehe. i read in the post your judge thread that some people prefer the judge without the brake link due to excessive brake jerk or the... arg what did dd call it, that the bike settled in a bit during turns. has a verdict on the to brake link or not debate arrived? or, if i'm getting this there's no way in heell i'll bother to replace the rear wheel so i can remove the brake link, though it saves some weight. oh well, nm

mtbr member
    I can't believe he has a wife / girlfriend called Hannah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast