mtbr member
    Jun 2013

SI headtube, what headset for tapered fork?

I'm attempting to put a Fox RLC with tapered steerer in my '08 Prophet 4, but having trouble with the headset. I thought i had bought the correct headset adapter but the LBS wasn't able to put it on since the bottom cup parts don't seem to fit in the frame.
    This is the headset I got: Cannondale Reducer Headset - SI/Headshok to 1.5 -1-1/8 Tapered - CannondaleExperts.com

Anyone other Prophet owners done something similar,and if so what headset did you use?

mtbr member
    That's the same headset i just got for my '08 Scalpel. I just installed it and it seems to not sit flush. I think it needs about .5-1mm more. I'm thinking its to keep the crown race and top portion from rubbing on the frame since its an integrated head tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    That's the same headset i just got for my '08 Scalpel. I just installed it and it seems to not sit flush. I think it needs about .5-1mm more. I'm thinking its to keep the crown race and top portion from rubbing on the frame since its an integrated head tube.
    What fork did you use and did you have any problems installing the headset in your frame? If that's the same headset you used, I either got sent the wrong kit or maybe the lbs is not quite familiar with using a headset like this.

mtbr member
    My fork isn't installed yet since i don't have the correct PVC pipe to seat the crown race. It's a Manitou Marvel Pro. I installed the headset with a bolt and washers. Top is a reducer cup and the bottom is an integrated bearing similar to the lefty, but, it has an inner angle for the race to set in. I installed this upside down the first time. Only one side had the angle on the inner portion of the bearing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    My fork isn't installed yet since i don't have the correct PVC pipe to seat the crown race. It's a Manitou Marvel Pro. I installed the headset with a bolt and washers. Top is a reducer cup and the bottom is an integrated bearing similar to the lefty, but, it has an inner angle for the race to set in. I installed this upside down the first time. Only one side had the angle on the inner portion of the bearing.
    This is great info, I appreciate it!
    If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind taking pictures of what this headset looks like installed on your frame? I'd like to confirm that I do have the correct hardware, and also show the guys at the LBS that the headset does indeed fit in the frame if i do have the same hardware as you. I can PM you my email address if you don't want to post them on the forum or whatever is best/easiest for you.

mtbr member
    Basically, the reducer cup on top sits flush with the headtube. The large bearing inserts directly into the bottom cup and also sits flush. Just make sure the angled edge is on bottom and not up in the interior of the headtube. That angle outta what the crown race sits in.

Honest Disclaimer- I'm a bit impatient to take (and then post) photos. I'll try to remember tho.

mtbr member
    Here is my crummy cell pics. There is no bearing installed on the top just so you can see how the reducer cup is in. And you should be able to see the beveled edge on the bottom bearing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SI headtube, what headset for tapered fork?-cam00169.jpg  

SI headtube, what headset for tapered fork?-cam00166.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks a ton for the pictures, they certainly helped! After looking at your pictures I talked again with my LBS and after taking some measurements and comparing to other bearings from a new Cdale bike with a 1.5 fork, we found out that my headtube is apparently not SI size since the bearings and spacers are just a little bit too big to be pressed into the headtube. So it looks like just a normal 1.5 headset is all I needed, so that's what we're going to try next--hopefully it works!

Redcoat

Matador it sounds like you need bearings with cups so it's not an SI head tube. Go to this site
    Www.cannondaleexperts.com and contact them telling them your specs and what you want to do.

They will tell you exactly what you need.

One thing to note: the bearings that come as factory from cdale are slightly smaller than 1.5 and will not fit a tapered fork. See below

This is my 2013 trigger 2 frame that had had a lefty on it with "1.5" steer tube. It's an SI and it finally worked with the kp205 kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    One thing to note: the bearings that come as factory from cdale are slightly smaller than 1.5 and will not fit a tapered fork.
    The cdale bearings also don't have the beveled inner ring to match up with the crown race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yep I did emil the cannondaleexpert guys last night and they sent me some info explaining everything and told me what headset I can use. If I had the SI cups then I could have used the kp205 kit, but my bike came stock with a 1 1/8 steerer tube fork so I only have the 1 1/8 adapters pressed into the headtube and not the SI cups.

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Yep I did emil the cannondaleexpert guys last night and they sent me some info explaining everything and told me what headset I can use. If I had the SI cups then I could have used the kp205 kit, but my bike came stock with a 1 1/8 steerer tube fork so I only have the 1 1/8 adapters pressed into the headtube and not the SI cups.
    So they told you what you need to do or you are still stuck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    So they told you what you need to do or you are still stuck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm good now, thankfully. I was about to order the FSA headset recommended but the LBS found a similar FSA bottom cup and they just reused the top adapter so the new fork is on the bike now!

I havent taken a trail ride on it yet since it was bitterly cold today but i did a quick test ride and everything feels great. The front is now about 0.5" longer than what's printed limit is on the frame but hopefully it will still be ok.
    Much thanks to you and to Jetboy23 for helping out, you guys awesome!!

Redcoat

All good man enjoy the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brockwan; 01-06-2014 at 03:36 AM.