mtbr member
    May 2006

si crank issues with new Taurine : (

I had a number of questions so broke them up to two threads. This ones about the SI cranks.

1) The cranks don't spin freely with no chain and pedals. If I give it a hard spin it does < 2 revolutions. Is this amount of resistance usual?

2) Has anyone upgraded to ceramic BB bearings and has this noticeably reduced resistance?

3) I don't have any instructions on how to remove the Si cranks. It looks like all that's needed are allan keys. Which direction to turn in and which side to take off first?

mad aussie
    1. The bearings are preloaded with washers, you could try and remove one, but they do get smoother with some use.

2. Ceramic bearings are not available yet from Cannondale, although they are going to be available with the new lighter SI cranks. I ordered some through one of our distributors, they make a big difference, but they are now out of stock.

3. Removal does require the use of a special tool, you can find instructions on Cannondale's website here:

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf

Hope this helps.

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There's an Australian site that lists Enduro bearings for the bottom bracket upgrade. http://www.diymtb.com.au/static/EnduroBearingBBKits.asp

Are these the same as what you got?

mad aussie
    I got the enduro bearings, but I live in the US so they came through a local distributor.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Vang,
    Get on that bike and ride. Then ride some more.. and then a bit more. The grease they use is the heaviest, stickiest crap in the world. It's probably great at fighting water though. Anyway I had the same issue on my Scalpel. It will fix itself. I'd leave the ceramic bearings for the TT bike were the seconds matter. Most times your not winning or losing mtb races by seconds. Great choice for a bike though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is the first bike that I really want to get on and ride, but it's still on the work stand with uncut cables hanging off it. I took off the derailleur this morning and thought about drilliing holes and loping bits off that aren't needed. What's happening to me!

The bearings are ordered and will be installed on Sat along with re-cutting the brake hoses. Hopefully I'll break it in on Sunday.