mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SI Crank Installation ?'s

I have read the document from Cannondale several times. It is pretty straight forward. My issue is with the dust shields. I have 3 in each color. 2 are flush with a shoulder on the bearing side, the third has a shoulder on both sides and is labelled MTN-132MM Spindle/68MM Shell. Those are the measurements of my spindle and shell. What the directions do not specify is which side this special shield goes on. Any help or tricks would be greatly appreciated. The bike is an '11 Scalpel 1 that is getting as set of SL/XX cranks.

Matt

LA CHÈVRE
    The 2011 Scalpels have a 73mm BB shell no? Older Scalpels up to 2010 were 68mm though.

In a 73mm frame, you use the two shields with the flush side facing outside (the rubber seal fits around the other side shoulder, against the bearing).

Just for putting the info out there for those who may need it, the shield that has a shoulder on each side is to align the 132mm spindle into frames with 68mm BB shells (without it, the whole crankset would be off center). On a 68 you would use it on the non-drive side, putting the side that is exactly like the inside-facing of the flush ones facing inside too (the side where the rubber seal fits should be the same on the flush shields and the offset shield. Look in the manual, the edge facing out that sits on the spindle is a bit more round, less edgy)...

Here's the image from the manual to illustrate:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SI Crank Installation ?'s-bb30.jpg  

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :