mtbr member
    Jan 2006

SI Carbon Cranks

I just ordered a Carbon Rush 2 and didn't give it much thought that the crankset was carbon with the plans of putting in my XT crankset. However after doing some "after the fact" research I noticed I need an adaptor to fit the XT cranks. The SI are a bit lighter so I wouldn't mind keeping them but am concerned with durability. Mostly with striking the lower crank arms on rocks, since we do have a fair share of them here in Pa. The bottoms of my XT's will prove that I am not always the best at timing...

So how well do the carbon SI crankset hold up to the ocasional rock bash?

I remember a while back I seem some Bontrager Carbons with an alluminum cover over the bottoms, seems like that may be a good idea.

Thanks, Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

So far so good

Hi,

riding those Si carbon cranks as from March, and rock hits happen to me occasionally too. Nevertheless, so far did not noticed any issues with cranks durability...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lots of scuffs/gouges

I ride in pretty technical places and tend to hit my cranks on rocks quite often. So far they are all still in one piece but I've scratched the heck out of them and wonder what the implications are. So, not sure exactly what you mean by "how well do they hold up" but can tell you they've held together since March with more than occasional bashes. I'd love to hear from others too about this. And need to learn myself how many gouges are too many.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys, that's the news I was hoping for.