mtbr member
    Mar 2007

SI BB spindle for Carbon Rush

Hallo all there.

Recently I purchased Si cranks (4 bolt pattern with FSA chainrings) in order to upgrade my Carbon Rush.

Unfortunately, although ordered a BB spindle of 131mm length, it seems impossible to install those cranks, as the lower chainring hits the BB shell with its screws.

Have seen that many of riders here adopted cranks to 2 rings only, but I would like to keep 3 rings anyway.

Any opinions, where the problem can be?

Many thanks,

Vlado

mtbr member
    How many washers are you using along with that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, in BB set there were 4 of them I guess, and we tried to install them all first, but in this case the crank didn't sit to spindle completely, resulting on falling the crank off the spindle if the fixing bolt was released. Moreover, the axial press to bearing seemed to be too high. Then removed them, and bolts of the chainring rubbed the bb shell.

mtbr member
    Your BB probably came with 1 thick shim and 4-5 thin shims. Usually on mtb si cranks you'll need to use the thick one, 3 of the thin ones and the wave washer then be sure when you torque down the bolt to 30-35 ft lbs. you should still see a wave to the washer when complete.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    We /more precisely the importer/mechanic tried to install the washers in various modifications, but it didn't worked. It seems that the only way to complete the installation is by either changing the spiderarm for 5 bolt design, which we all hope could solve the problem, as this 5-bolt spiderarm is pictured on official catalogues, or, to resize the thick washer to height, suitable for proper installation of the cranks.

Besides those attempts, we contacted C'dale Europe for assistance, so maybe they also bring some fresh ideas.

Anyway, so far thanks help.

Vlado

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had the same problem.. You need a 132mm spindle for your Rush, instead of the 131mm. That will do it. -Also on the 4 bolt spider.

Best regards, Soren Beck
    I┤ll buy your old Klein (pre Trek)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So, I reviewed the spindle length with local importer, but there's a problem with 132 mm length - he's not able to order 132 mm as it is not listed in his official list of spare given by C'dale Europe.

Does somebody have an idea, where this spindle could eventually be ordered for delivery to Europe (I think due to reason above, it should be from US apparently)?

Thanks,

Vlado

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    QC851/ KIT,BB,CDALE Si,73x132mm MTN

I am not sure what list your dealer has but my dealer has this kit listed for the Carbon Rush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider
    QC851/ KIT,BB,CDALE Si,73x132mm MTN

I am not sure what list your dealer has but my dealer has this kit listed for the Carbon Rush.
    Hi,

thanks for complete ordering info. Just forwarding to importer for realisation and will keep informed on result. V.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a Order number called "QC853 " , so maybe you should ask before you order, just to be sure..

Best regards, S°ren

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This might depend on which Cannondale your dealer orders this part from. In the US, QC851/ is the correct part. Cannondale's European offices sometimes have different part numbers for the same part which is where the QC853/ comes form. Either way just make sure that it is 73x132.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider
    This might depend on which Cannondale your dealer orders this part from. In the US, QC851/ is the correct part. Cannondale's European offices sometimes have different part numbers for the same part which is where the QC853/ comes form. Either way just make sure that it is 73x132.
    Yes - this is the number i got from Cannondale Europe, so it seems like that you are right..
    And offcause, as long that it's 132mm long.. It should fit.

Best regards, S°ren

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just for info - my importer informed me today, that QC853 is the correct part number at Cdale Europe.

Anyway thanks to all for engagement and help.

Vlado