Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100

    Should I be worried about this crack?

    I found this crack near the top of the head tube on my 2009 rize 1. I can't tell if it's just the paint or if it's the carbon

    Anyone else have this happen on a rize/RZ










  2. #2
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    You should only be worried about it if you're not the original owner.......
    If you are then bring it to your lbs to have them replace it under warranty for you.
    Seems like the aluminum insert for the headset bearings is separating from the carbon....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    543
    Looks like a paint crack to me ( the white paint on the Rize is very brittle ), but it will do no harm to have it looked at by your LBS.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    826
    Looks like paint only. Is there a crack in the actual frame? Or just paint?

  5. #5
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    926
    Yeah , it looks like cosmetic only.
    I wouldn't worry about that.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    543
    It will be an easy one to check. Just take the forks out and see if the crack is visible on the inside.

  7. #7
    Can't stop the Prophet
    Reputation: brows141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    Looks like there is some type of play between the aluminum insert and the carbon that is causing the paint around it to crack. If you are the original owner take it to your LBS and have it looked at under warranty.

    This does not appear to be normal wear as the paint is bonded to the carbon and the insert, and if there wasn't any play this would not have happened.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    I am the original owner I bought it new as a left over in April of 2010

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    UPDATE:

    Cannondale was sent pictures on Monday, they have requested to see the bike to make a final decision. I am going to drop it off at the LBS on Saturday. I hope they can find another Large Rize frame as I really love that bike.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dsquaredmsquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30
    My 2009 Rize (medium) has the same issue with the paint cracking at the top and bottom of the head tube. My shop looked at it with the steerer out and didn't think it was a structural issue. I'll be interested to see what Cdale has to say about your bike.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    Cannondale said it is warranty, there is grease leaking out of the crack
    So I think that means the insert has separated from the carbon.
    Unfortunately no more Rize/RZ frames so I ordered 29er Scalpel.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    Cannondale said it is warranty, there is grease leaking out of the crack
    So I think that means the insert has separated from the carbon.
    Unfortunately no more Rize/RZ frames so I ordered 29er Scalpel.
    What other choices did you have? A Jekyll ?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    23
    The paint on the USA made Cannondales seems very poor. I had a 2011 SL3 which was made in Taiwan and just from comparing it to the 2010 F3 I recently picked up there is a noticeable difference in paint quality. I don't know if they paint the new frames in Taiwan or if they are made there and shipped here to be painted but the painting process has been improved. I love this bike and the fact it was made in USA but I'm going to be watching out for paint cracks around the joints. From what I was told the paint has a 2 year warranty correct?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by REDMASTA View Post
    The paint on the USA made Cannondales seems very poor. I had an 2011 SL3 which was made in Taiwan and just from comparing it to the 2010 F3 I just picked up there is a noticeable difference in paint quality. I love this bike and the fact it was made in USA but I'm going to be watching out for paint cracks around the joints. From what I was told the paint has a 2 year warranty correct?
    Totally agree, the paint finish on my Rize is poor at best.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    Cannondale first offered a Jekyll frame without the rear shock I wasn't interested in that bike. Then they offered an RZ120 frame with a rear shock. The RZ120 is nice but I felt replacing a carbon frame with an Alum. frame wasn't really to me. So they made a good offer for a complete bike so I took it. The only problem is the Scalpel two 29er wont be in for several months.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    Cannondale first offered a Jekyll frame without the rear shock I wasn't interested in that bike. Then they offered an RZ120 frame with a rear shock. The RZ120 is nice but I felt replacing a carbon frame with an Alum. frame wasn't really to me. So they made a good offer for a complete bike so I took it. The only problem is the Scalpel two 29er wont be in for several months.
    Did they say how much it would be for you to buy the Shock for the Jekyll ?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    I think they said around $400-$500

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    I think they said around $400-$500

    Cool. Thanks for all the info, and good luck with your new ride once you get it.

  19. #19
    Can't stop the Prophet
    Reputation: brows141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    Cannondale first offered a Jekyll frame without the rear shock I wasn't interested in that bike. Then they offered an RZ120 frame with a rear shock. The RZ120 is nice but I felt replacing a carbon frame with an Alum. frame wasn't really to me. So they made a good offer for a complete bike so I took it. The only problem is the Scalpel two 29er wont be in for several months.
    Good deal man! Nice to hear you got something accomplished. Was it your persistence or your LBS that came through in the end?


    Of course we want to see your new bike...............when it arrives

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jamas1395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141 View Post
    Good deal man! Nice to hear you got something accomplished. Was it your persistence or your LBS that came through in the end?


    Of course we want to see your new bike...............when it arrives
    I was a little worried about taking it to the shop I did because I bought it at another shop. However the shop I purchased it from is longer in business. I called a shop about an hour
    away and described my issue and let them know right away that I know they didn't sell me the bike but my LBS closed. They looked the bike almost instantly and agreed it was warranty, he sent some pics to Cannondale and 24 hours later they gave me 3 options:
    Jeykll, RZ 120, or another complete bike. I have was extremely happy with final offer, it almost seemed kind of easy!

  21. #21
    Can't stop the Prophet
    Reputation: brows141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    I was a little worried about taking it to the shop I did because I bought it at another shop. However the shop I purchased it from is longer in business. I called a shop about an hour
    away and described my issue and let them know right away that I know they didn't sell me the bike but my LBS closed. They looked the bike almost instantly and agreed it was warranty, he sent some pics to Cannondale and 24 hours later they gave me 3 options:
    Jeykll, RZ 120, or another complete bike. I have was extremely happy with final offer, it almost seemed kind of easy!
    See how nice it is when things work the way they should.

  22. #22
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    So much for folks that said "It's only a paint chip".....
    Never take ANY chances when you see cracks on frame like that! Especially when it is still covered under warranty.....
    Glad to hear that everything worked out in the end!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  23. #23
    Can't stop the Prophet
    Reputation: brows141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    So much for folks that said "It's only a paint chip".....
    Never take ANY chances when you see cracks on frame like that! Especially when it is still covered under warranty.....
    Glad to hear that everything worked out in the end!
    I would hate to see what condition some of these peoples bike are in. I bet you some people are going to be reevaluating their so called "paint chips" after this one.


    Rule of thumb for ANYTHING covered under warranty:

    If it's under warranty then it is the dealer/dealership's responsibility to have it fixed or replaced. If your even under the slightest impression that something is wrong take it in to the shop and have them look at it. If they tell you nothing is wrong and you do not agree persist or go one higher. People don't forget that the customer is always right, well in the U.S. they are anyways.

  24. #24
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141 View Post
    I would hate to see what condition some of these peoples bike are in. I bet you some people are going to be reevaluating their so called "paint chips" after this one.
    I'm on my eight year on my 1FG.


    Lots of chipped paint on it.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    I'm on my eight year on my 1FG.


    Lots of chipped paint on it.
    seriously man you're riding a fricking time bomb!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Frame crack or paint crack?
    By Rad Rider 415 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM
  3. So within one year another crack!!! & same type of crack
    By arielDB in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 03:20 PM
  4. Should i be worried?
    By mrpercussive in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 01:35 AM
  5. Should I be worried?
    By FoShizzle in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 05:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •