Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I single speed my F5?

755 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jay04cobra 
#1 ·
I am strongly debating whether to do it or not. Right now, the bike has a nice frame, but most of the parts on it are substandard. Not to mention the bike weights 31 pounds for a hardtail.

If I changed the bike to single speed, then it will have a great Cannondale frame, zero low end parts (minus the wheels and disc brake). Another word, a great bike.

On the other hand, I use this bike mainly for road sprinting/training. I have a Santa Cruz Bullit that I ride hard on. If I switch to single speed, I wont be able to do much sprinting on it as cross training. My sprinting gear is 42x11 (mainly to buildup my legs for power)

I raced XC back in High school, so I would considered myself a fair climber. Not a power house, but can ride a bit on the long climbs.

I figured I always have the other bike as a spare. But it kind of defeated the purpose of buying the F5 for sprint-training since I wont be able to do 42x11 kind of speed training on it.

Any opinons are welcome. I am 50/50 right now to do it or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
I did it to my F2. On a large frame you can run a 34/17 gear and no singulator or halflinks. Works great! Right now it is just under 23lbs, but I have some things on the way that will get it under 22, maybe real close to 21. A buddy has one that is close to 20 even, but he has some light parts that I don't trust being a clyde.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.