mtbr member

should i go carbon?

I have the opportunity to get a good deal on a carbon rush. I have been eying a rush 3 for a while and haven't done it yet.... and now is the opportunity to get a rush 1 at a really good price.

anyways, i am hesitant to buy the carbon rush because i am a fairly new rider. I am worried something that will dent the aluminum frame (but not render it useless) will ruin a carbon frame and my money will be wasted........ i do fall quite a bit, at least once every other ride simply because I am pushing myself to be a better rider and riding more and more challenging terrain. Right now my bike is a super old stumpjumper hard tail.

I am pretty young and dont have much money to put into bikes.... so I want to get one bike that will last and that I will be happy with for a long time, and a bike that can take a beating (within reason).

Anyways, I am thinking I shouldnt get the carbon rush.... ?? any input??

wjs
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Young? Donít have much money? Fall quite a bit?
    I say: stay with aluminum. One good fall and an alu bike will have a small dent, but a carbon bike will brake in two! Stick your money in upgrades, or a newer model! Carbon is nice, bit lighter, bit more comfortable, but a lot I say a lot more expensive, you fall ones good and you have 2 half bikes!
    Good luck!

mad aussie
    Cannondale has been making carbon lefties for some time and there hasnt been a stack of people crashing and having them break in two or be unrideable. Locally in Phoenix our rep has a demo Carbon Rush team that has been ridden and abused a lot in a place where sharp rocks abound and is still doing fine, albeit scratched and scraped.
    I wouldnt be concerned about the frame, sure you could break it, but that impact would likely destroy and alloy bike as well.
    The carbon rush does ride a lot better than the alloy version, my advice if you can afford it.......

wjs
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You’re right, if you can afford it……
    But Urnicus doesn’t have a lot off cash remember!

btw, cannondale is calling a lot of carbon lefty’s back, see here

LA CH»VRE
    The recall has nothing to do with the carbon, they just missed some loctite on a thread for a batch of them and they want to make sure they are safe to ride. The carbon Lefty has been abused by Cedric Gracia back in the day and it's one strong fork.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Carbon fiber is actually stronger than aluminum...

It's just harder to tell when it is wearing, unlike aluminum, which you can see cracks forming, or dents..etc.

If you can afford it, I would go for the Rush Carbon. It's a sweet ride, I've only test-ridden a Carbon Rush 1 a couple times, but it is a noticeable difference from my Rush 1000.
    But if you go aluminum, the Rush is still a great bike.

You really can't go wrong either way.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    Ok, you say carbon is stronger than aluminum.

I have heard this before and here is what I am wondering..... Is is stronger in the sense of load bearing, torsion etc (i.e. it can handle more weight / stress) or is it stronger upon impact (i.e. into a rock, tree, ground etc.)???

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    ok, here's where I am out of my league to explain it...

I've talked to my LBS about it, and they had all the fancy evidence to back it up.

I'll just have to sit back and wait for someone who knows more than me to answer.

(btw, one of my riding buddies has a carbon giant NRS that he has been riding for about 4 years now)
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

wjs
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know that there are different kinds of carbon, I imagine cannondale carbon is a good quality carbon!

Is it worth the 700 dollars (about the difference in carbon and alu), especially for a beginner-not rich-fallís quite a bit?

Ride Fast
    If you got the money I would go with carbon. Carbon Rush's ride better then aluminum ones. The carbon is also stiffer, which makes for one awesome ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    "Ok, you say carbon is stronger than aluminum"

It's stronger in terms of ultimate tensile strength, but not in terms of toughness (function of both tensile strength and elongation at fracture). So, in the extreme it's stronger, but it's not as predictable or forgiving. Aluminum will either bend before it breaks, or it will fatigue in which case there are visible cracks.

Never owned a plastic bike myself (and being a metallurgist, I'm admittedly biased to metal stuff), but I'd get the Al frame just because it's a known quantity.

Ridin' dirty!
    I wouldn't buy a carbon rush for the simple fact that it's not made in the USA like it's aluminum counterpart.
    I also remember that cannondale has had recalls on almost every other carbon part they ever made (I know I just like to blow things out of proportion).
    Remember the Raven frame recalls??? They had 3 different issues with those!
    Also, I think having something as easily replaceable as a fork, handlebar etc. made out of carbon is different from having an entire frame made out of that material.
    See, those items don't cost a fortune to replace... If you fall in a rock garden and the carbon frame hits something it is very likely to fail in that particular area and touching it up is a pain since it requires quite a bit of expertise.. An a alloy frame on the other hand might just get a ding or a dent, that's it. Go with an aluminum frame if you're a beginner and want to hone your skills. Once you're comfortable riding technical trails and stuff, don't crash that often anymore you can think about upgrading to carbon....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

wjs
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Will carbon last as long as aluminium? 5 years - 10 years ... ?????