mtbr member
    Feb 2012

should i get a lefty or stick with the sid?

to cut a long story short, i have a carbon flash with a pair of sid race forks, the bike is used on roads, canal paths, fire roads and smoothish singletrack, nothing mad, i also have a jekyll for the mad stuff, i've been really pleased with the carbon flash, its lovely for what i do on it but i recently did a trade with a guy i know, i got an alloy flash f1 in exchange for an oakley watch that i was going to sell, the flash f1 was a bit too big for me but i figured it would be easier to sell than a nich market watch, the flash f1 had a lefty which i really liked, it also came with some mavic crossmax slr wheels which i'm keeping for now, i sold the flash f1 today and am thinking about buying a lefty carbon 120 pbr for my own flash carbon, so i can use the mavic crossmax on mine,

is there much of a weight advantage over a sid? are the quoted weights for the lefty, 1260g with a steerer tube or without because my sids weigh 1398g on my scales with a steerer tube and oil etc so if the quoted lefty weight is without steerer then i can't see me gaining much more than 50g which is poor for aprox 1000 outlay

is there a real performance advantage for my kind of riding?

i like the crossmax wheels but i'm sure i could sell them, stick with the sids and buy a nice set of stans crest on hope hubs with some light spokes and have change left from the sale of the mavics and they would likely be lighter too, and i'd still have the 1000ish from not needing to buy a lefty, but i do like them alot

what would you guys do and why

cheers

ste

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    also, seeing as i have the sid at the moment i have a 1 1/8th headset reducer in the frame, shuold i get the 1 1/8th lefty for all steerer so i can use my current easton ea70 stem (0deg 70mm) or get a 90mm opi stem steerer and a new headset, which would be lighter, the easton stem is 90g

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    well, i bit the bullit and ordered a carbon lefty pbr, and a 90mm -5 opi stem/steerer and i'll be using the mavic crossmax wheels, what convinced me was i took the tyres off the crossmax and the tyres off my std cannondale wheels and had a weigh off, the pair of mavics is almost 500g lighter than my current wheels and i;m hoping the lefty will be lighter than the sids, my bike was 21.5lbs i'm hoping it'll be closer to 19lb with the new bits, then i need new brakes as the avid elixer 5's are quite hefty, thinking either hope race evo x2 or formula r1's