mtbr member
    Oct 2009

should i be ashamed of my moto5's weight?

Everything is stock, and although I love the bike, people always laugh at how heavy the thing is. Where's all the weight from? The frame? Tires? Everything has weight to it, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can switch out to make it lighter, or if I should even worry about it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The moto is for sure not the lightest girl at the Prom, but dont worry, big girls need love too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    She does have the cushion! But is the weight from everything in general? I mean the fork even is pretty huge.

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, what are the people laughing at it's weight riding? The bikes I ride the most are all under 20lbs so I'm sure I'd find a Moto 5 heavy but you can't compare a XC or trail bike to a Moto. I'm guessing if they are riding bikes that can handle what the Moto can and are lighter, they must have spent more money than you did.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Tool
    Wheels and tires are the most common place to start for weight reduction.

However, it's not clear what goal you have in mind when asking about weight reduction. If it's just to change how other people perceive your bike, it would be a waste of money. If you want to increase your bike's performance, you'll need to be more specific to get useful advice.

Given the Moto's typical use, I would not be concerned about the weight. If you find yourself pedaling it a lot and are looking for more efficiency, we're back to wheels and tires....but assuming you're enjoying a fair amount of gravity rides, you need to be careful not to compromise strength and stability - light wheels and tires are meant mostly for XC purposes and will not perform well in gravity applications, but there are probably some appropriate wheels and tires available that are lighter than what you're currently running.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the words

I can't really find anything gravity in Wisconsin yet, anyone I ride with has a xc bike. I was just asking about the weight in general though.

Some time I should just get another bike that's lighter, I think. I'd like to find a good reason to have the moto, though. Maybe it'll come in handy once Ray's goes up in Milwaukee.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So long long as you like the bike the bike and how it works that is all that matters!

Make it a point to kick ass on any one who gives you the business and you will have the last laugh.

bikeboatbrewski
    Its an all mountain ride, they are heavier to take downhill abuse better than XC.

If you don't mind humping around the extra weight so what. Hope you got a deal on it as the 09 mofo5 is going for $1299 these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nah I got it last year for 2k, but it's too late to be upset about it now. If I pick up a nice 25 pound xc bike some time, will I have a lot easier time climbing, or would I even notice a difference?

I'm with stupid
    it depends on how long the rides are and how much up in involed. I have a 26 lb rize and a 37lb Sanction with freeride parts and coil shocks front and rear. If the ride is below say 15 miles and its not a all out hammer head xc race type riding i dont notice the weight difference much at all. But if it is a all day epic or im riding with hammerheads then the light bike helps. It depends on if you want to listen to the weight weenies and spend that cash on a light bike or if you want to just enjoy knowing you can go down much faster then what they can (which i think is the more fun side of riding)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You bet your hardtail it's the fun part!

bikeboatbrewski
    I plan to buy a Moto4 as soon as I hear back from the guy, that will make a nice addition to my quiver. My xc ride is a 2010 stumpy.

If you could pick up a nice lighter xc bike you would be rollin fat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    fun stuff. What kind of performance CAN I get out of stock moto5, anyway? I'm sure I'm not going to break it, but I don't know what it can handle, and would like to.

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    fun stuff. What kind of performance CAN I get out of stock moto5, anyway? I'm sure I'm not going to break it, but I don't know what it can handle, and would like to.
    Well if it can be built it can be broke, another buddy has the mofo4 and he regularly jumps small to med stuff with it. He rides along with us when we are on the xc bikes and does fine. I would use it for everything but all out downhill.

The benefit of riding the heavy bike is when you get on a light weight one you will feel like you are super charged. Pro riders train heavy and race light quite often.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's cool. I don't think there's anywhere in wisconsin this bike can't handle.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    Nah I got it last year for 2k, but it's too late to be upset about it now. If I pick up a nice 25 pound xc bike some time, will I have a lot easier time climbing, or would I even notice a difference?
    I live in northern ILL...had a 31lb prophet..now I have a 24lb Rize 1....I notice the difference. alot. 7 pounds off a bike is NOT the same as 7 pounds off my fat ass.... Throwing around a bike 7 pounds lighter Underneath you makes a huge difference. alot of the physical aspect of tossing the bike around is placed on your arms and legs in odd under leveraged ways...if that makes any sense?
    hell you can curl a lot of weight but moving it around from the end of a handle bar is a different set of physics...

Use your Moto for what it does best, and plan on getting a lightweight 4" HT or FS bike...
    I bet running a 20 pound HT would be the bomb at Levis Trow...!
    CDT

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Honestly, just ride it.
    You can toss a lot of money at it and save some weight. Or, you can just ride it, work on making the engine better (training) and then pick up a XC bike later down the road.

If something does break, then replace it with the best value parts, not the lightest. For example, XT parts are good and dont cost nearly as much as XTR. They are a tad heavier, but not by much. with the difference in price, you get a road bike and build the engine up real nice.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    I'd keep the Moto as is and build/buy a nice XC bike. I honestly feel that you shouldn't try to make one bike do everything. Get the right tool for the job. This way you have the right bike for the given trail you are riding that day.

I feel like my Scalpel and F29er overlap too much. I'd really be better off having the F29er and a new 100mm travel scalpel or a Rz one20 as my FS bike instead of my 67mm travel Scalpel. Oh well, I love my Scalpel regardless.