mtbr member
    Dec 2006

shortest avaliable lefty compatible stem?

i know there used to be made really short headshok compatible stems (one just had to use spacers underneath the stem so it would clear the top of the lefty strut), but i can't seem to locate any online now. Does anybody have any info on this? I'm looking for a 40mm stem to put on my rush to make the cockpit nice and tight and had really discarded the idea of putting a lefty on it, but i'm a bit keen to do so now - just need to find a short enough stem. A 80mm stem is just plain too long though so it will need to be shorter.

in advance, thanks for any and all help!

if my reply is somewhat slow, rest assured it is most appreciated - i'm just travelling to a cabin in the mountains with out access to the www.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Try a handlebar with some rearward sweep if you can't find a stem short enough.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    90 mm

a shorter stem cannot be installed.

flat bar will hit the fork top

a riser .... depends on model... never tried.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks for the feedback.

i think i'm going for a solution with a project 321 lefty adapter, lots of spacers and a 1 1/8 stem. Not ideal weight wise, but i think a 40mm stem is possible that way and the shorter cockpit is more than worth the extra 100-300grams due to this solution anyway. I do not mind the higher stem nor the higher handlebar height and if all else fails i will just go for a flat bar if it proves to be too high.

mtbr member
    You might be able to get a 60mm Woodman WOW 4 HS XL stem.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like your frame is too big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    nah, it's not really (too big). I was just planing on building it up with a 40mm stem to get a playful bike (no lefty) but then all of a sudden i had this great urge to get a lefty - thus the question. 80mm stems are though not the suited for my kinda riding, meaning i would rather have longer wheel base and 40mm stem than a shorter wheel base and 80-100mm stem. I find that Cannondale consistently spec their bikes with too long stems, then again i am far from an xc rider. I can see the need for longer stems on a lefty equipped bike. This is not really much of an issue when it comes to xc bikes, but i for one prefer shorter stems for am duties by far. My moto has a 45mm stem, my judge a 55mm stem and my last bike a Scott Ransom had a 70mm one. When i tried my prophet for a last ride before i sold it with the original stem it felt utterly hopeless compared to the short stem i had been riding it with. And yes, i am 175cm high so schmack bang in the middle of size medium - the size i use.

thanks for the suggestion duncan

Mr. Knowitall
    Klinkekule, I had an 80mm, 35deg Headshok-stem on my Cannondales until I dedicated the last one to an XC bike. This should keep the bars closer to you and away from the forks. Depending on your model, you may need to add a new Cannondale steerer (not SI stem).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/B...&StockID=22409

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    thanks for the feedback.

i think i'm going for a solution with a project 321 lefty adapter, lots of spacers and a 1 1/8 stem. Not ideal weight wise, but i think a 40mm stem is possible that way and the shorter cockpit is more than worth the extra 100-300grams due to this solution anyway. I do not mind the higher stem nor the higher handlebar height and if all else fails i will just go for a flat bar if it proves to be too high.
    Klinkekeule, I don't think our current adapter will work for that. However in the past few weeks we have been discusing the possibitlity of making an adapter for this very purpose. At one point Thompson was talking about it and I think there is someone in europe that is making something like it but nobody is doing them in any numbers. It looks like we will probably produce what you need using a variation of our current adapter. Shoot me an e-mail or call us anytime if you want more details. Jake-Project321 877-584-7321

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i've got a really short headshok stem somewhere in the parts bin. i think it's 40mm 0 rize. dm me if you're interested

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    this is the one I found last time I was pondering the same thing http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15461

mtbr member
    Jan 2006