Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 114
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484

    short travel scalpel for '11

    dan alluded to this bike on his blog (http://dan.gerous.net) as well as on the "team scalpel" thread.

    singletrack.com has some better pics of this short-travel scalpel







    travel looks to be half of the current model (ie 50mm) and the lefty appears to have push-button lockout. i guess JB was riding this prototype at the sea otter stxc race.

  2. #2
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    wow

  3. #3
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    I don't think travel will be less than the current Scalpel... it may even grow a bit if we look at the chainstays curve, they look preloaded downward even more so could potentially flex upward more than the current ones. It wont become a 140mm travel bike of course but, maybe 110 to match the front?

    It has a few Flash-like features and it's apparently very light. My guess is that the first and most important goal was to drop more weight. There is a small seatstay bridge to stiffen the rear...

    So, who wants my 2008 team frame? I was starting to look into a Flash but, I think I'll stay in the Scalpel family.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    It looks like the Sram XX hydraulic lock out attached to the fork. The rear shock is hooked up to the cable actuated RS thing next to the rear shifter/brake.

    I think it looks pretty damn good. The new frog looks pretty good, lighter for sure.

    I'm excited to see the weight of the frame alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It has a few Flash-like features and it's apparently very light.
    Looks like the drop outs are the same as the Flash.

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Is there only one lockout activating both the Lefty and the rear RS shock?

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Is there only one lockout activating both the Lefty and the rear RS shock?
    No, I edited my post. I spotted the cable actuated one going to the rear shock on the rear brake/shifter side. The shock also has a barrel adjuster on it, so I would assume that nothing is hydraulic on there.

    If you look at the lefty where the lockout knob should be there is a hydraulic joint like on brake systems and on the XX forks. This thing:


  7. #7
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Yeah I noticed the hydraulic link to the Lefty but I wasn't sure about the shock. I know Rock Shox are working on a hydraulic lockout carbon bodied shock so eventually, it could be a nice feature to be able to lock both ends but with a single remote. A remote just for the Lefty is a bit pointless IMO, the top of the Lefty where the lockout lever/button is, it's only a few cm away from our hand, not worth the trouble and weight of a remote.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  8. #8
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I don't think travel will be less than the current Scalpel... it may even grow a bit if we look at the chainstays curve, they look preloaded downward even more so could potentially flex upward more than the current ones. It
    The increased curve doesn't mean it'll have more travel though.....it'll have a higher preload...the damper seems to have less stroke too.
    To me it looks like a short travel bike too, it'll have more like a hard tail like feel to it like the previous gen scalpel.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  9. #9
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    The shock stroke doesn't look shorter to me (note that the shock link hides a good amount of the shock shaft, see the photo attached, look at where the shock bolt is on the link). But you are right, the higher preload doesn't mean anything as far as the amount of travel is concerned, it might not even be more preload as the stays could have been molded pre-curved but if there is more preload, that doesn't mean a more hardtail feel, even the opposite I think. More stays preload means more negative spring, less resistance in the first half of the travel, more sensitivity on small to medium bumps, perhaps with more shock pressure required than the current Scalpel (I used 55psi in mine last year, might go further down this year as I have dropped some body weight)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-cannondale_so_28.jpg  


    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  10. #10
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852
    What's the deal with not running a fork boot?! High maintenance intervals I imagine...

  11. #11
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    seems to be all carbon frame or not ?

  12. #12
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb

    I'm excited to see the weight of the frame alone.
    maybe 1650 g INCLUDING rear shock ?

  13. #13
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    It's got a "prototype" look. I like the idea of a single lever front/rear lockout. I wish they kept the traditional Scalpel routing of rear brake/rear der along the top of the seat stays then up under the top tube, its cleaner, more direct, and maybe shorter. I would want to see this bike with a Di2 setup!
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  14. #14
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    seems to be all carbon frame or not ?
    I think it's all carbon now... and I think Marco is using the new frame at Sea Otter today, looks like he's warming up on it at least.


    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I like the idea of a single lever front/rear lockout.
    That would be pretty hard to do though, splicing hydro lines or just making them into a "Y" formation. Even then, the cost would be pretty high so it would not be justifiable. I think this is why Cannondale chose to do the cable actuated rear shock (like the old Scalpel's) and the Hydro up front on the Lefty.

  16. #16
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    That would be pretty hard to do though, splicing hydro lines or just making them into a "Y" formation. Even then, the cost would be pretty high so it would not be justifiable. I think this is why Cannondale chose to do the cable actuated rear shock (like the old Scalpel's) and the Hydro up front on the Lefty.
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    what stem are they running on the scalpel?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kayba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    244
    Looks awesome. It has the same ugly cable routing as the Flash though. Let's hope they change it for the production bikes.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!
    I agree prototypes shouldn't have a budget. The are the proof of concept, not where they make their money.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    maybe 1650 g INCLUDING rear shock ?
    Why don't 1,5kg?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!
    Yea, who cares about price!

    On another note, I would really like to see the Bad Boy Camo' decals get the boot, I always hated those...kinda tacky to me...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    What's the deal with not running a fork boot?! High maintenance intervals I imagine...
    I agree, get a fork boot on it or you'll screw up the needle bearings and other internals.

  23. #23
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    I agree, get a fork boot on it or you'll screw up the needle bearings and other internals.
    This has been discussed many times, the Cannondale factory riders can have their Leftys rebuilt after every races so this is not an issue for them...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,602
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!

  25. #25
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!
    1. You still use tubes?
    2. Who knows, but I doubt it... although, Roel Paulissen was using a Flash 29er to finish 5th at Sea Otter XC today.
    3. I agree.
    4. I agree here too.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,602
    1. Shouldn't have called it a pinch...rim punctures the casing. Unless I run about 30-35 psi. Then traction's less than desireable. I could run a true UST for better durability, but my rims would still be at risk.
    2. I doubt it too.
    Last edited by brentos; 04-18-2010 at 08:51 PM.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484
    @dan, nice spot on the shock stroke. the angle of the pics i posted concealed it. it'll probably, stay at 110mm to match the lefty

  28. #28
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Ok here's the scoop on the Lefty. It's the new Lefty Speed 100 sl pbr

    Yes that's right only 100mm of travel to match the rear on the Scalpel. Also it has a PBR lockout, but ya'll new that was coming. The PBR system can also use a remote lockout, like shown here, that pairs with the avid match maker system. Also the the fork is shorter, lowering the front end by quite a bit, great for us smaller guys.

    Other than whats already been stated about the scalpel, i.e. lighter and stiffer, all I can tell you is the geometry has been changed to mirror the flash EXACTLY with the exception of a BB that is 5mm higher than the Flash. So steeper headtube angle is the man thing you'll notice. Also lower front end in harmony with the new fork.
    Last edited by Cabdoctor; 04-18-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  29. #29
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    what stem are they running on the scalpel?

    italian stem from Leonardi Racing

  30. #30
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabdoctor
    Ok here's the scoop on the Lefty. It's the new Lefty Speed 100 sl pbr

    Yes that's right only 100mm of travel to match the rear on the Scalpel. Also it has a PBR lockout, but ya'll new that was coming. The PBR system can also use a remote lockout, like shown here, that pairs with the avid match maker system. Also the the fork is shorter, lowering the front end by quite a bit, great for us smaller guys.

    Other than whats already been stated about the scalpel, i.e. lighter and stiffer, all I can tell you is the geometry has been changed to mirror the flash EXACTLY with the exception of a BB that is 5mm higher than the Flash. So steeper headtube angle is the man thing you'll notice. Also lower front end in harmony with the new fork.
    not a scoop for the Lefty . at the Maremma cup 28th february Fontana rode that fork and i posted a pic

  31. #31
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    not a scoop for the Lefty . at the Maremma cup 28th february Fontana rode that fork and i posted a pic
    link? I know CFR tweeted it a while ago, but without any specs
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  32. #32
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The shock stroke doesn't look shorter to me (note that the shock link hides a good amount of the shock shaft, see the photo attached, look at where the shock bolt is on the link).
    Yeah, on the new picture it looks the same to me too.
    Thanks for posting and clearing that up.....
    Still believe the increased curve will make the rear suspension a bit stiffer....you might have to run the shock with less pressure because of it but I think it's like putting a stiffer spring in your fork.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  33. #33
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!

    I run a 2.25 Rocket Ron UST tire on the back of my Scalpel and it works. Barely rubbed on the chainstay brace when I fist put it on the Mavic Crossmax so I got the wheel re-dished and now it only rubs when fully caked with mud. Might not be acceptable for east coast riding but works out here in the Rockies.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    61
    I am going to say less than 100mm and more than 60mm of travel. That, and a lot lighter.

  35. #35
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I think it's all carbon now... and I think Marco is using the new frame at Sea Otter today, looks like he's warming up on it at least.

    I think you probably have sharper eye's than me for this sort of thing...so the rear triangle will now be molded/built with the main? Meaning no glue joint at the back of the BB.

    That should save weight and add strength.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  36. #36
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I think you probably have sharper eye's than me for this sort of thing...so the rear triangle will now be molded/built with the main? Meaning no glue joint at the back of the BB.

    That should save weight and add strength.
    It's hard to tell how the chainstays are joined to the front triangle from these pictures, the seatstays seem not to have a bonded alloy piece where the link is attached, perhaps it has a metal sleeve formed into the carbon for the bearings to be pressed in, maybe it's full carbon (they already have the tech to press bearings right into carbon cups for the SuperSix headsets) or the bond is just cleaner and seamless...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  37. #37
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Looks like it's got the "Beat Box" style construction in the BB/Chainstay area. I'm thinking that frame is one big carbon part.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It's hard to tell how the chainstays are joined to the front triangle from these pictures, the seatstays seem not to have a bonded alloy piece where the link is attached, perhaps it has a metal sleeve formed into the carbon for the bearings to be pressed in, maybe it's full carbon (they already have the tech to press bearings right into carbon cups for the SuperSix headsets) or the bond is just cleaner and seamless...
    I agree about the difficulty to tell how the chainstays are joined to the front triangle. I was personally hoping that they would have a new design to avoid the recall that happened with the separating stays at the redesign with the 08 Scalpel. This could also be a place where the frame could loose weight, if they don't bond it with aluminum there goes a few grams.

    I'm interested in the bottom bracket shell, if and how it was redesigned. I would think that this would be redesigned to something similar to the Flash, which is quite minimalist.

    In the BB area though, I think we can assume that the der. will be direct mount just like the Flash.

    On another note, this frame could be just one carbon part. No longer bonding any parts together.

  39. #39
    Tool
    Reputation: Pedalphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    On another note, this frame could be just one carbon part. No longer bonding any parts together.
    Given that two of my three Scalpel frame failures were bonding failures, less bonds would probably be a good thing.

    I think I'm all done with the Scalpel, however. I love the thing when it's working right, but it's either too damn fragile (I weight 170, am of average strength, and I ride fairly gingerly on appropriate XC terrain), or the quality control issues are too prevalent. Aside from the frame failures, C'dale was never able to keep my rear shock from jiggling.

    -Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

  40. #40
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I think you probably have sharper eye's than me for this sort of thing...so the rear triangle will now be molded/built with the main? Meaning no glue joint at the back of the BB.

    That should save weight and add strength.
    Yes it uses a beat box style construction. It's all one piece there, extremely strong and stiff. It's roughly the same size as the SuperSix.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Yeah, on the new picture it looks the same to me too.
    Thanks for posting and clearing that up.....
    Still believe the increased curve will make the rear suspension a bit stiffer....you might have to run the shock with less pressure because of it but I think it's like putting a stiffer spring in your fork.....
    It's designed to reduce the amount of sag. The old Scalpel didn't sag that much anyways, especially under the wicked light XC riders. So this new design addresses that. Less sag combined with the dramatically lower BB is designed to make it ride just like the flash. Basically they want their riders to switch between the two seamlessly.
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  41. #41
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    I guess you weren't lucky Pete.

    But... and I hope no one is offended by this... I'm expecting the next Scalpels will have better construction quality, better finish. My opinion so far, from what I have seen, is that the new made in Asia high-end Cannondales have been impressively improved compared to the US-made models...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  42. #42
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Also the Seatstays are the same triangular shape as the Flashes

    Also the seatpost is now 31.6
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    The rear chainstay looks like the flash ,less material ,rear drop outs similar to flash carbon frame ,rear link different to the actual link ,it suppose to have less travel ,does the chainstays will do the rest ?i dont think so ,in the past scalpel was 68mm rear travel ,people sais ,its not enough because lefty has 110mm ,so they have done 96mm rear travel with more flexible chainstays ,and now less travel again ?if will be true its quite stupid but lets wait ,who wants to buy a 2010 scalpel ?i want to sell mine ...

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikesinmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,176
    nice bike, but at my age what'd give me a boner is if they went 650b front and rear.

  45. #45
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal
    The rear chainstay looks like the flash ,less material ,rear drop outs similar to flash carbon frame ,rear link different to the actual link ,it suppose to have less travel ,does the chainstays will do the rest ?i dont think so ,in the past scalpel was 68mm rear travel ,people sais ,its not enough because lefty has 110mm ,so they have done 96mm rear travel with more flexible chainstays ,and now less travel again ?if will be true its quite stupid but lets wait ,who wants to buy a 2010 scalpel ?i want to sell mine ...
    It's the same travel as this years, the only thing that's less travel is the fork
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    nice bike, but at my age what'd give me a boner is if they went 650b front and rear.
    Cannondale wouldn't even have to do anything. If it cleared in the rear, then you could just sell the wheelset and use the cash to buy a 650b set.

    Cannondale would not do this because as stated before they want the CFR team riders to be able to switch between the Flash and their Scalpel's and feel as little of a difference as possible (other than travel in the rear end).

  47. #47
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    But then again, Roel Paulissen raced on a Flash 29er at Sea Otter... Of course, a non-technical course with half of it on a paved race track is well suited to bigger wheels, he will probably be back on normal wheels on World Cup courses....


    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484
    i don't think i'll be getting another scalpel even though my '06 is running great.

    i had an epiphany last weekend. i finally got a chance to get out on my F3000 and it's a totally different experience to my scalpel. i don't know if it's due to geometry but the hardtail felt crisp and sharp. i could rail corners and explode up climbs. now, the scalpel feels lazy.

    i read somewhere that c'dale will be releasing an all new flash for '11. hopefully, i can snag a used one for cheap or grab a new one. i think i'm heading back to hardtails after a few years on FS.

  49. #49
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc
    i read somewhere that c'dale will be releasing an all new flash for '11. hopefully, i can snag a used one for cheap or grab a new one. i think i'm heading back to hardtails after a few years on FS.
    Yes they are. It's going to work with the new lower Lefty Speed 100sl Pbr fork, also it will have a 5mm higher bb, making the 2011 scalpel and 2011 flash mirror images geometry wise.

    As far as your Scalpel feeling sluggish, try the new 2011. It has a steeper head tube and sits lower. This was to correct that very complaint that it felt sluggish compared to the Taurine and the Flash.
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabdoctor
    As far as your Scalpel feeling sluggish, try the new 2011. It has a steeper head tube and sits lower. This was to correct that very complaint that it felt sluggish compared to the Taurine and the Flash.
    can you get me a deal on an '11 scalpel?

  51. #51
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc
    can you get me a deal on an '11 scalpel?
    Three easy payments of $19.99 and I'll throw the knives in for free!
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    for me, the only way the Scalpel can be ridden is with the RP23 being set with pro-pedal 3 on. It then turns into a virtual hardtail and is a brilliant ride. I never had any issues with it feeling sluggish but a lower and steeper version sounds awesome!!

    I enjoy seeing what the pro's choose to ride. I didnt see many using the Taurine - they all mostly used the Scalpel. As soon as the Flash was released the Scalpel hasnt been seen! It also says a lot for the Taurine...

  53. #53
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    The CFR team still use Scalpels, it's about 50/50 Scalpel and Flash... Depends of the course I guess.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    It also says a lot for the Taurine...

    ? please continue, you've got me interested.

  55. #55
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    The Taurine was a great bike, stiff yet comfy, quick yet stable, weight wasn't bad... The Flash is just a lot better in all aspects.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  56. #56
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    CFR, as i know , never raced with Taurine . always Scalpel in the past years

  57. #57
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I think it's all carbon now... and I think Marco is using the new frame at Sea Otter today, looks like he's warming up on it at least.


    why i cannot see the image ? using the link too...

  58. #58
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    why i cannot see the image ? using the link too...
    Here is Marco's pre race face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-88435269-0675c2764147f71ab45f47a54c0c6ff5.4bcdc261-full.jpg  


    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Here is Marco's pre race face.
    nice porn stache and french tickler

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    ? please continue, you've got me interested.
    i dont think the taurine was widely used by the CFR team. when the scalpel came out most used it as their primary race bike. now that the flash has been released, it has been elevated to the top of the pile... which in my opinion says that the order would be something like:

    1. flash
    2. scalpel
    3. taurine

    so if the racers had no issue taking the scalpel over the taurine... but jumped at the chance to take the flash over the scalpel, it probably means they werent overly impressed with the taurine.

  61. #61
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    i dont think the taurine was widely used by the CFR team. when the scalpel came out most used it as their primary race bike. now that the flash has been released, it has been elevated to the top of the pile... which in my opinion says that the order would be something like:

    1. flash
    2. scalpel
    3. taurine

    so if the racers had no issue taking the scalpel over the taurine... but jumped at the chance to take the flash over the scalpel, it probably means they werent overly impressed with the taurine.

    Yeah but the thing you're forgetting about is the team dynamics.

    When the Taurine was introduced, that was being pushed primarily by the Bear Naked Granola-Cannondale team. The reason for that was that Euros were buying more full-suspension xc bikes while America was still in love with the hardtail. So you give the domestic team hardtails and the Euro team squishies. Also interestingly the Rush was being ridden/marketed by Tinker.

    Now looking at the time period the Flash and the new Scapel are being introduced, there isn't really a division per se between the Euro team and American squid. Every one from Roel to Tinker all fall under the CFR banner, although obviously there is some difference between the euro and the domestic team. And so in harmony with that, there was a big push to ride the Flash and there will be an equally big push to race the new Scalpel. Thus the reason you saw it more on the World Cup circuit. What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    408
    that is interesting - no one is riding, so no one is winning on it, so no one is buying it. i see club riders over here choosing to use the taurine, maybe more suited to the shite riding conditions!?! although there is no doubt the flash is in a league of its own it would have been good to see the taurine around for another year.

    the new scalpel looks good, would be nice to see some pics of the beefed up BB.
    Last edited by parkincake; 04-21-2010 at 03:41 AM.

  63. #63
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    The Flash Carbon is the Taurine's replacement more or less, it wouldn't have made sense to keep the Taurine when the Flash is better in every way... Unless they would have dropped the Taurine's price by a lot which they can't really.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  64. #64
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    see one wheel ride of Fontana on the 2011 Scalpel

    http://yfrog.us/0z1quz

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Flash Carbon is the Taurine's replacement more or less, it wouldn't have made sense to keep the Taurine when the Flash is better in every way... Unless they would have dropped the Taurine's price by a lot which they can't really.
    as much as i'd like to agree with you, i think there is room for two different carbon hardtails in the cannondale line up.

    the rize replaced the rush and they continued to make and sell the rush. but guess that just showed how popular the rush was!

  66. #66
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    as much as i'd like to agree with you, i think there is room for two different carbon hardtails in the cannondale line up.

    the rize replaced the rush and they continued to make and sell the rush. but guess that just showed how popular the rush was!
    Yeah I was seriously surprised to see they kept the Rush and axed the Prophet. Especially when you consider they had the Rize and Scalpel out. But that's my own personal view.
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    i was having a look at the pictures again and i'm hopeful they have sorted out the short seat tube lengths from the 08-10 models... 16.9" seat tube (coupled with a 23.6" top tube) for a medium is too short in my opinion...

    Cabdoctor - has this been changed?

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    slightly off topic but i noticed that the 2010 on the website is showing slightly shorter top tubes (for med and large at least) vs 2008/09... anyone know whether they changed the geometry for 2010?

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    slightly off topic but i noticed that the 2010 on the website is showing slightly shorter top tubes (for med and large at least) vs 2008/09... anyone know whether they changed the geometry for 2010?

    Nope, just the way they measure it.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    Nope, just the way they measure it.
    thanks for that.

  71. #71
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    More pictures from mtbr.com's own Gregg:




    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  72. #72
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    short travel for Lefty too

    100 mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-f45adbd6a4.jpg  


  73. #73
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Another picture, showing the hydraulic lockout connexion on the new Lefty.


    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484
    i think they should bring back terralogic

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    short travel for Lefty too

    100 mm
    i wonder if CFR is riding revised flash frames to accommodate the decrease in travel (and subsequent change in head tube angle)

  76. #76
    Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    645
    Same geometry, however they have an ultralight layup that is not available to consumers.

  77. #77
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    short travel for Lefty too

    100 mm
    =mtb?
    Last edited by YB1; 04-28-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  78. #78
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    How hard would it be to make a 122mm spindel work on a Scalpel or any 73mm BB30 Cannondale mtb?

    i installed a 122.5 mm on my Scalpel Carbon , but 68mm

    i installed a 128 mm in my Flash 73mm

    but same question i will ask ... it fits ?

  79. #79
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    See TL's post here on how they make it work on the CFR team bikes.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  80. #80
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    ah ok, no lip and custom spacers

  81. #81
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    ah ok, no lip and custom spacers
    Plus machining the back of the arms to clear the chainstays... A bit too involved for me, I'll stick with a 128.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  82. #82
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Plus machining the back of the arms to clear the chainstays... A bit too involved for me, I'll stick with a 128.

    Agreed.

    But wouldn't even the 128mm require a custom spacer if used on a 73mm Flash BB? Also I guess you could still run the Hollowgram as a triple, that assumes adequate clearance on the granny gear...
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  83. #83
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    Agreed.

    But wouldn't even the 128mm require a custom spacer if used on a 73mm Flash BB? Also I guess you could still run the Hollowgram as a triple, that assumes adequate clearance on the granny gear...
    Yes it would, a thinner driveside spacer (shave the black one to fit). But the non-driveside notch, lip, stop means the crank would be offset slightly more to the left of the bike... You can re-align your feet by offseting the cleats on your shoes though (I had such a setup when I had a Taurine) but depending of the spider and chainring sizes you use, you may have some clearance issues between the rings and chainstay.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  84. #84
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    So even the 128 spindel on a 73mm BB30 bike is going to be misaligned slightly...
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  85. #85
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    So even the 128 spindel on a 73mm BB30 bike is going to be misaligned slightly...
    Yes, but not by much, you can move the cleats like I did or do the 'shave the spindle's lip and use spacers on both sides' trick if you have the tools and motivation to do it..

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  86. #86
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    not necessary moving the clips

    i have a 128 mm on my Flash Team 26"

    installed and found it rideable with no issues ..

    in case you need only a black shim of 0.5 mm ( same used on drive side in the SL crankset ) installed between spindle lip and bearing cover on the left side

    i did it in this way with a 122.5 mm spindle in my 68mm BB Scalpel carbon

  87. #87
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    I wonder how much machining the crank arms would really need. It just seems like 132 to 128 is hardly worth the trouble and if you need to machine the rib off the spindel anyway to get everything centered up you might as well do the crank arms while you're at it.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  88. #88
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    No need to machine the back of the arms to use the 128, it's to use the 122...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  89. #89
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    i gave a 122.5 mm spindle to a friend to machine it

    in 2 weeks , when he is coming back , i will try to install

  90. #90
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    No need to machine the back of the arms to use the 128, it's to use the 122...
    Yes, I got that. My point was that for 4mm it's almost not worth going to the trouble of trying to find the 128 in the first place. Wheras running a 122 Hollowgram Si would might worth the troublle of doing a little machining on the cranks. It seems like machining the cranks would actually be much easier than getting that rib off the spindel.

    Be interesting to see whether Eliflap tries this on his 26" or 29"...
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  91. #91
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    But with the 122, you need to do both, machine the rib off the spindle and machine the back of the crankarms... But it also depends just how much trouble you have finding either spindles and then to machine or find someone who will. I have two 128 spindles, it wasn't hard to find them... But I will be curious to see how it turns out for eliflap.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  92. #92
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    Look at the BB area, it's a smooth seamless junction between the front triangle and the chainstays. Very nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-cimg5175.jpg  


    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  93. #93
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    close view ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-13102720100521258.jpg  


  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    It seems to be a heavier frame comparing with the 2010 model ...

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal
    It seems to be a heavier frame comparing with the 2010 model ...
    what makes you say that?

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannondaleportugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    206
    Perhaps more material in that box and in other places to make the frame stiffer ,this is the first full carbon scalpel ,but i know that aluminium is heavier comparing with carbon fiber ,its just one opinion ,hope im wrong ,it will be a good signal .

  97. #97
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    claimed 1650 g as rumours says

  98. #98
    YB1
    YB1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    481
    I still don't like the underside of the BB routing for the brake like and rear deraileur housing...

    Any pictures that show the machining they do on the crank arms to run those skinny 122spindles?
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

  99. #99
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,435
    I prefer that cable and hose routing, it's doesn't move and flex and hit something as suspension compresses like the current Scalpels.

    As for 'looking heavy' haven't you noticed the smaller tubes of old bikes were flexier and heavier? As tubes got bigger, they also got lighter and stiffer. And you know the frame is not solid, it's hollow. A huge carbon box around the BB isn't heavier but much stiffer. This is based on the Flash frame that has a big BB area too and it's one of the lightest frame in the world so...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 05-27-2010 at 08:47 AM.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  100. #100
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    i hope this year coming to miss the left lip on spindle as in the CFR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •