Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

short travel scalpel for '11

dan alluded to this bike on his blog (http://dan.gerous.net) as well as on the "team scalpel" thread.

singletrack.com has some better pics of this short-travel scalpel

travel looks to be half of the current model (ie 50mm) and the lefty appears to have push-button lockout. i guess JB was riding this prototype at the sea otter stxc race.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    wow

LA CHÈVRE
    I don't think travel will be less than the current Scalpel... it may even grow a bit if we look at the chainstays curve, they look preloaded downward even more so could potentially flex upward more than the current ones. It wont become a 140mm travel bike of course but, maybe 110 to match the front?

It has a few Flash-like features and it's apparently very light. My guess is that the first and most important goal was to drop more weight. There is a small seatstay bridge to stiffen the rear...

So, who wants my 2008 team frame? I was starting to look into a Flash but, I think I'll stay in the Scalpel family.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    It looks like the Sram XX hydraulic lock out attached to the fork. The rear shock is hooked up to the cable actuated RS thing next to the rear shifter/brake.

I think it looks pretty damn good. The new frog looks pretty good, lighter for sure.

I'm excited to see the weight of the frame alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It has a few Flash-like features and it's apparently very light.
    Looks like the drop outs are the same as the Flash.

LA CHÈVRE
    Is there only one lockout activating both the Lefty and the rear RS shock?

mtbr member
    Is there only one lockout activating both the Lefty and the rear RS shock?
    No, I edited my post. I spotted the cable actuated one going to the rear shock on the rear brake/shifter side. The shock also has a barrel adjuster on it, so I would assume that nothing is hydraulic on there.

If you look at the lefty where the lockout knob should be there is a hydraulic joint like on brake systems and on the XX forks. This thing:

LA CHÈVRE
    Yeah I noticed the hydraulic link to the Lefty but I wasn't sure about the shock. I know Rock Shox are working on a hydraulic lockout carbon bodied shock so eventually, it could be a nice feature to be able to lock both ends but with a single remote. A remote just for the Lefty is a bit pointless IMO, the top of the Lefty where the lockout lever/button is, it's only a few cm away from our hand, not worth the trouble and weight of a remote.

Ridin' dirty!
    I don't think travel will be less than the current Scalpel... it may even grow a bit if we look at the chainstays curve, they look preloaded downward even more so could potentially flex upward more than the current ones. It
    The increased curve doesn't mean it'll have more travel though.....it'll have a higher preload...the damper seems to have less stroke too.
    To me it looks like a short travel bike too, it'll have more like a hard tail like feel to it like the previous gen scalpel.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    The shock stroke doesn't look shorter to me (note that the shock link hides a good amount of the shock shaft, see the photo attached, look at where the shock bolt is on the link). But you are right, the higher preload doesn't mean anything as far as the amount of travel is concerned, it might not even be more preload as the stays could have been molded pre-curved but if there is more preload, that doesn't mean a more hardtail feel, even the opposite I think. More stays preload means more negative spring, less resistance in the first half of the travel, more sensitivity on small to medium bumps, perhaps with more shock pressure required than the current Scalpel (I used 55psi in mine last year, might go further down this year as I have dropped some body weight)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-cannondale_so_28.jpg  

Mr. Knowitall
    What's the deal with not running a fork boot?! High maintenance intervals I imagine...

FIRENZE rulez !!
    seems to be all carbon frame or not ?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb

I'm excited to see the weight of the frame alone.
    maybe 1650 g INCLUDING rear shock ?

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's got a "prototype" look. I like the idea of a single lever front/rear lockout. I wish they kept the traditional Scalpel routing of rear brake/rear der along the top of the seat stays then up under the top tube, its cleaner, more direct, and maybe shorter. I would want to see this bike with a Di2 setup!
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    seems to be all carbon frame or not ?
    I think it's all carbon now... and I think Marco is using the new frame at Sea Otter today, looks like he's warming up on it at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I like the idea of a single lever front/rear lockout.
    That would be pretty hard to do though, splicing hydro lines or just making them into a "Y" formation. Even then, the cost would be pretty high so it would not be justifiable. I think this is why Cannondale chose to do the cable actuated rear shock (like the old Scalpel's) and the Hydro up front on the Lefty.

LA CHÈVRE
    That would be pretty hard to do though, splicing hydro lines or just making them into a "Y" formation. Even then, the cost would be pretty high so it would not be justifiable. I think this is why Cannondale chose to do the cable actuated rear shock (like the old Scalpel's) and the Hydro up front on the Lefty.
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!

mtbr member
    what stem are they running on the scalpel?

mtbr member
    Looks awesome. It has the same ugly cable routing as the Flash though. Let's hope they change it for the production bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!
    I agree prototypes shouldn't have a budget. The are the proof of concept, not where they make their money.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    maybe 1650 g INCLUDING rear shock ?
    Why don't 1,5kg?

mtbr member
    Yea, who cares about price!

On another note, I would really like to see the Bad Boy Camo' decals get the boot, I always hated those...kinda tacky to me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    What's the deal with not running a fork boot?! High maintenance intervals I imagine...
    I agree, get a fork boot on it or you'll screw up the needle bearings and other internals.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    I agree, get a fork boot on it or you'll screw up the needle bearings and other internals.
    This has been discussed many times, the Cannondale factory riders can have their Leftys rebuilt after every races so this is not an issue for them...

mtbr member
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!
    1. You still use tubes?
    2. Who knows, but I doubt it... although, Roel Paulissen was using a Flash 29er to finish 5th at Sea Otter XC today.
    3. I agree.
    4. I agree here too.

mtbr member
    1. Shouldn't have called it a pinch...rim punctures the casing. Unless I run about 30-35 psi. Then traction's less than desireable. I could run a true UST for better durability, but my rims would still be at risk.
    2. I doubt it too.
    Last edited by brentos; 04-18-2010 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    @dan, nice spot on the shock stroke. the angle of the pics i posted concealed it. it'll probably, stay at 110mm to match the lefty

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Ok here's the scoop on the Lefty. It's the new Lefty Speed 100 sl pbr

Yes that's right only 100mm of travel to match the rear on the Scalpel. Also it has a PBR lockout, but ya'll new that was coming. The PBR system can also use a remote lockout, like shown here, that pairs with the avid match maker system. Also the the fork is shorter, lowering the front end by quite a bit, great for us smaller guys.

Other than whats already been stated about the scalpel, i.e. lighter and stiffer, all I can tell you is the geometry has been changed to mirror the flash EXACTLY with the exception of a BB that is 5mm higher than the Flash. So steeper headtube angle is the man thing you'll notice. Also lower front end in harmony with the new fork.
    Last edited by Cabdoctor; 04-18-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    what stem are they running on the scalpel?

italian stem from Leonardi Racing

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabdoctor
    Ok here's the scoop on the Lefty. It's the new Lefty Speed 100 sl pbr

Yes that's right only 100mm of travel to match the rear on the Scalpel. Also it has a PBR lockout, but ya'll new that was coming. The PBR system can also use a remote lockout, like shown here, that pairs with the avid match maker system. Also the the fork is shorter, lowering the front end by quite a bit, great for us smaller guys.

Other than whats already been stated about the scalpel, i.e. lighter and stiffer, all I can tell you is the geometry has been changed to mirror the flash EXACTLY with the exception of a BB that is 5mm higher than the Flash. So steeper headtube angle is the man thing you'll notice. Also lower front end in harmony with the new fork.
    not a scoop for the Lefty . at the Maremma cup 28th february Fontana rode that fork and i posted a pic

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    not a scoop for the Lefty . at the Maremma cup 28th february Fontana rode that fork and i posted a pic
    link? I know CFR tweeted it a while ago, but without any specs

Ridin' dirty!
    The shock stroke doesn't look shorter to me (note that the shock link hides a good amount of the shock shaft, see the photo attached, look at where the shock bolt is on the link).
    Yeah, on the new picture it looks the same to me too.
    Thanks for posting and clearing that up.....
    Still believe the increased curve will make the rear suspension a bit stiffer....you might have to run the shock with less pressure because of it but I think it's like putting a stiffer spring in your fork.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    4. Looks promising!

I run a 2.25 Rocket Ron UST tire on the back of my Scalpel and it works. Barely rubbed on the chainstay brace when I fist put it on the Mavic Crossmax so I got the wheel re-dished and now it only rubs when fully caked with mud. Might not be acceptable for east coast riding but works out here in the Rockies.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am going to say less than 100mm and more than 60mm of travel. That, and a lot lighter.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think it's all carbon now... and I think Marco is using the new frame at Sea Otter today, looks like he's warming up on it at least.

I think you probably have sharper eye's than me for this sort of thing...so the rear triangle will now be molded/built with the main? Meaning no glue joint at the back of the BB.

That should save weight and add strength.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    I think you probably have sharper eye's than me for this sort of thing...so the rear triangle will now be molded/built with the main? Meaning no glue joint at the back of the BB.

It's hard to tell how the chainstays are joined to the front triangle from these pictures, the seatstays seem not to have a bonded alloy piece where the link is attached, perhaps it has a metal sleeve formed into the carbon for the bearings to be pressed in, maybe it's full carbon (they already have the tech to press bearings right into carbon cups for the SuperSix headsets) or the bond is just cleaner and seamless...

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Looks like it's got the "Beat Box" style construction in the BB/Chainstay area. I'm thinking that frame is one big carbon part.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    It's hard to tell how the chainstays are joined to the front triangle from these pictures, the seatstays seem not to have a bonded alloy piece where the link is attached, perhaps it has a metal sleeve formed into the carbon for the bearings to be pressed in, maybe it's full carbon (they already have the tech to press bearings right into carbon cups for the SuperSix headsets) or the bond is just cleaner and seamless...
    I agree about the difficulty to tell how the chainstays are joined to the front triangle. I was personally hoping that they would have a new design to avoid the recall that happened with the separating stays at the redesign with the 08 Scalpel. This could also be a place where the frame could loose weight, if they don't bond it with aluminum there goes a few grams.

I'm interested in the bottom bracket shell, if and how it was redesigned. I would think that this would be redesigned to something similar to the Flash, which is quite minimalist.

In the BB area though, I think we can assume that the der. will be direct mount just like the Flash.

On another note, this frame could be just one carbon part. No longer bonding any parts together.

Tool
    On another note, this frame could be just one carbon part. No longer bonding any parts together.
    Given that two of my three Scalpel frame failures were bonding failures, less bonds would probably be a good thing.

I think I'm all done with the Scalpel, however. I love the thing when it's working right, but it's either too damn fragile (I weight 170, am of average strength, and I ride fairly gingerly on appropriate XC terrain), or the quality control issues are too prevalent. Aside from the frame failures, C'dale was never able to keep my rear shock from jiggling.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

I'M A CHEAPSKATE

Yes it uses a beat box style construction. It's all one piece there, extremely strong and stiff. It's roughly the same size as the SuperSix.

Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Yeah, on the new picture it looks the same to me too.
    Thanks for posting and clearing that up.....
    Still believe the increased curve will make the rear suspension a bit stiffer....you might have to run the shock with less pressure because of it but I think it's like putting a stiffer spring in your fork.....
    It's designed to reduce the amount of sag. The old Scalpel didn't sag that much anyways, especially under the wicked light XC riders. So this new design addresses that. Less sag combined with the dramatically lower BB is designed to make it ride just like the flash. Basically they want their riders to switch between the two seamlessly.

LA CHÈVRE
    I guess you weren't lucky Pete.

But... and I hope no one is offended by this... I'm expecting the next Scalpels will have better construction quality, better finish. My opinion so far, from what I have seen, is that the new made in Asia high-end Cannondales have been impressively improved compared to the US-made models...

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Also the Seatstays are the same triangular shape as the Flashes

Also the seatpost is now 31.6

mtbr member
    The rear chainstay looks like the flash ,less material ,rear drop outs similar to flash carbon frame ,rear link different to the actual link ,it suppose to have less travel ,does the chainstays will do the rest ?i dont think so ,in the past scalpel was 68mm rear travel ,people sais ,its not enough because lefty has 110mm ,so they have done 96mm rear travel with more flexible chainstays ,and now less travel again ?if will be true its quite stupid but lets wait ,who wants to buy a 2010 scalpel ?i want to sell mine ...

mtbr member
    nice bike, but at my age what'd give me a boner is if they went 650b front and rear.

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondaleportugal
    The rear chainstay looks like the flash ,less material ,rear drop outs similar to flash carbon frame ,rear link different to the actual link ,it suppose to have less travel ,does the chainstays will do the rest ?i dont think so ,in the past scalpel was 68mm rear travel ,people sais ,its not enough because lefty has 110mm ,so they have done 96mm rear travel with more flexible chainstays ,and now less travel again ?if will be true its quite stupid but lets wait ,who wants to buy a 2010 scalpel ?i want to sell mine ...
    It's the same travel as this years, the only thing that's less travel is the fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud
    nice bike, but at my age what'd give me a boner is if they went 650b front and rear.
    Cannondale wouldn't even have to do anything. If it cleared in the rear, then you could just sell the wheelset and use the cash to buy a 650b set.

Cannondale would not do this because as stated before they want the CFR team riders to be able to switch between the Flash and their Scalpel's and feel as little of a difference as possible (other than travel in the rear end).

LA CHÈVRE
    But then again, Roel Paulissen raced on a Flash 29er at Sea Otter... Of course, a non-technical course with half of it on a paved race track is well suited to bigger wheels, he will probably be back on normal wheels on World Cup courses....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i don't think i'll be getting another scalpel even though my '06 is running great.

i had an epiphany last weekend. i finally got a chance to get out on my F3000 and it's a totally different experience to my scalpel. i don't know if it's due to geometry but the hardtail felt crisp and sharp. i could rail corners and explode up climbs. now, the scalpel feels lazy.

i read somewhere that c'dale will be releasing an all new flash for '11. hopefully, i can snag a used one for cheap or grab a new one. i think i'm heading back to hardtails after a few years on FS.

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc
    i read somewhere that c'dale will be releasing an all new flash for '11. hopefully, i can snag a used one for cheap or grab a new one. i think i'm heading back to hardtails after a few years on FS.
    Yes they are. It's going to work with the new lower Lefty Speed 100sl Pbr fork, also it will have a 5mm higher bb, making the 2011 scalpel and 2011 flash mirror images geometry wise.

As far as your Scalpel feeling sluggish, try the new 2011. It has a steeper head tube and sits lower. This was to correct that very complaint that it felt sluggish compared to the Taurine and the Flash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabdoctor
    As far as your Scalpel feeling sluggish, try the new 2011. It has a steeper head tube and sits lower. This was to correct that very complaint that it felt sluggish compared to the Taurine and the Flash.
    can you get me a deal on an '11 scalpel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast