Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

short travel scalpel for '11

dan alluded to this bike on his blog (http://dan.gerous.net) as well as on the "team scalpel" thread.

singletrack.com has some better pics of this short-travel scalpel

travel looks to be half of the current model (ie 50mm) and the lefty appears to have push-button lockout. i guess JB was riding this prototype at the sea otter stxc race.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    wow

LA CHÈVRE
    I don't think travel will be less than the current Scalpel... it may even grow a bit if we look at the chainstays curve, they look preloaded downward even more so could potentially flex upward more than the current ones. It wont become a 140mm travel bike of course but, maybe 110 to match the front?

It has a few Flash-like features and it's apparently very light. My guess is that the first and most important goal was to drop more weight. There is a small seatstay bridge to stiffen the rear...

So, who wants my 2008 team frame? I was starting to look into a Flash but, I think I'll stay in the Scalpel family.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    It looks like the Sram XX hydraulic lock out attached to the fork. The rear shock is hooked up to the cable actuated RS thing next to the rear shifter/brake.

I think it looks pretty damn good. The new frog looks pretty good, lighter for sure.

I'm excited to see the weight of the frame alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It has a few Flash-like features and it's apparently very light.
    Looks like the drop outs are the same as the Flash.

LA CHÈVRE
    Is there only one lockout activating both the Lefty and the rear RS shock?

mtbr member
    Is there only one lockout activating both the Lefty and the rear RS shock?
    No, I edited my post. I spotted the cable actuated one going to the rear shock on the rear brake/shifter side. The shock also has a barrel adjuster on it, so I would assume that nothing is hydraulic on there.

If you look at the lefty where the lockout knob should be there is a hydraulic joint like on brake systems and on the XX forks. This thing:

LA CHÈVRE
    Yeah I noticed the hydraulic link to the Lefty but I wasn't sure about the shock. I know Rock Shox are working on a hydraulic lockout carbon bodied shock so eventually, it could be a nice feature to be able to lock both ends but with a single remote. A remote just for the Lefty is a bit pointless IMO, the top of the Lefty where the lockout lever/button is, it's only a few cm away from our hand, not worth the trouble and weight of a remote.

Ridin' dirty!
    I don't think travel will be less than the current Scalpel... it may even grow a bit if we look at the chainstays curve, they look preloaded downward even more so could potentially flex upward more than the current ones. It
    The increased curve doesn't mean it'll have more travel though.....it'll have a higher preload...the damper seems to have less stroke too.
    To me it looks like a short travel bike too, it'll have more like a hard tail like feel to it like the previous gen scalpel.....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

LA CHÈVRE
    The shock stroke doesn't look shorter to me (note that the shock link hides a good amount of the shock shaft, see the photo attached, look at where the shock bolt is on the link). But you are right, the higher preload doesn't mean anything as far as the amount of travel is concerned, it might not even be more preload as the stays could have been molded pre-curved but if there is more preload, that doesn't mean a more hardtail feel, even the opposite I think. More stays preload means more negative spring, less resistance in the first half of the travel, more sensitivity on small to medium bumps, perhaps with more shock pressure required than the current Scalpel (I used 55psi in mine last year, might go further down this year as I have dropped some body weight)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails short travel scalpel for '11-cannondale_so_28.jpg  

Mr. Knowitall
    What's the deal with not running a fork boot?! High maintenance intervals I imagine...

FIRENZE rulez !!
    seems to be all carbon frame or not ?

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb

I'm excited to see the weight of the frame alone.
    maybe 1650 g INCLUDING rear shock ?

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's got a "prototype" look. I like the idea of a single lever front/rear lockout. I wish they kept the traditional Scalpel routing of rear brake/rear der along the top of the seat stays then up under the top tube, its cleaner, more direct, and maybe shorter. I would want to see this bike with a Di2 setup!
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    seems to be all carbon frame or not ?
    I think it's all carbon now... and I think Marco is using the new frame at Sea Otter today, looks like he's warming up on it at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I like the idea of a single lever front/rear lockout.
    That would be pretty hard to do though, splicing hydro lines or just making them into a "Y" formation. Even then, the cost would be pretty high so it would not be justifiable. I think this is why Cannondale chose to do the cable actuated rear shock (like the old Scalpel's) and the Hydro up front on the Lefty.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    That would be pretty hard to do though, splicing hydro lines or just making them into a "Y" formation. Even then, the cost would be pretty high so it would not be justifiable. I think this is why Cannondale chose to do the cable actuated rear shock (like the old Scalpel's) and the Hydro up front on the Lefty.
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!

mtbr member
    what stem are they running on the scalpel?

mtbr member
    Looks awesome. It has the same ugly cable routing as the Flash though. Let's hope they change it for the production bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It wouldn't have to be a Y or splitting the same hydro circuit, it could be two circuit, one for each end but that are activated by a single button... And stop it with your realistic budget limits!
    I agree prototypes shouldn't have a budget. The are the proof of concept, not where they make their money.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    maybe 1650 g INCLUDING rear shock ?
    Why don't 1,5kg?

mtbr member
    Yea, who cares about price!

On another note, I would really like to see the Bad Boy Camo' decals get the boot, I always hated those...kinda tacky to me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    What's the deal with not running a fork boot?! High maintenance intervals I imagine...
    I agree, get a fork boot on it or you'll screw up the needle bearings and other internals.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    I agree, get a fork boot on it or you'll screw up the needle bearings and other internals.
    This has been discussed many times, the Cannondale factory riders can have their Leftys rebuilt after every races so this is not an issue for them...

mtbr member
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    1. Hope it fits a 2.25" tire when it hits production. (I pinch a 2.1 in no time flat)
    2. Hope it will be available in a 29'er (I'm not a 29'er die hard, but I do like them)...the chainstays on the bike pictured look long.
    3. Cable routing along the down tube is better for FS, the cables don't have to take up as much change in length as the suspension compresses, they can just bend as the frame "pivots".
    4. Looks promising!
    1. You still use tubes?
    2. Who knows, but I doubt it... although, Roel Paulissen was using a Flash 29er to finish 5th at Sea Otter XC today.
    3. I agree.
    4. I agree here too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast