Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shop messed up Rush Carbon frame, now what?

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  PeterBanning 
#1 · (Edited)
RESOLVED! Shop messed up Rush Carbon frame, now what?

So my local Bike Shop improperly installed my rear shock when they built the bike. As a result my Rush Carbon frame is all chewed up and who knows whether or not its structurally in tact. Since Cdale no longer makes the frame, or really anything comparable, what's a fair replacement? What should they have to do to "make me whole again"? Just looking for opinions as I'm struggling with what's fair. Thanks for any input.

Thought I should give the shop its due. I feel they stepped up and did their best to make things right. The end result and I couldn't be happier:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So my local Bike Shop improperly installed my rear shock when they built the bike. As a result my Rush Carbon frame is all chewed up and who knows whether or not its structurally in tact. Since Cdale no longer makes the frame, or really anything comparable, what's a fair replacement? What should they have to do to "make me whole again"? Just looking for opinions as I'm struggling with what's fair. Thanks for any input.
How bad is it? Any pictures?

#3 ·
Sorry,no pics and the bike is setting in the shop. The shock has been rubbing inside the bottom of the top tube this whole time. Finally wore enough carbon away for it to fall out. Suffice it to say, upon initial inspection, the shop said they "owe me a frame". So with the complication of the frame not being produced any more, I'm trying to determine a fair substitute, preferrably one the won't cost me any cash.

#4 ·
I had a Super-V carbon frame that broke and they gave me a Rush carbon frame under warranty last year. It cost me the labor to switch over the parts in addition to the new parts I had to purchase to fit the new frame. I don't think you're going to get out of it for free. BTW did they install the shock backwards? I would think you would of heard it rubbing on the frame?

#5 ·
This is a tricky one because they messed up a valueable frame that was most likely made in USA. And now will try to replace it with a Made in China/Taiwan frame.

Its not exactly but like if they ruined a Classic corvette from teh 50's and now just want to give you a new corvette, its not the same.

email Cannondale directly and partner with their Cannondale rep himself. Check everywhere for an original frame. If not Get a sweet upgrade.

#7 ·
This is a tricky one because they messed up a valueable frame that was most likely made in USA. And now will try to replace it with a Made in China/Taiwan frame.

Its not exactly but like if they ruined a Classic corvette from teh 50's and now just want to give you a new corvette, its not the same.

email Cannondale directly and partner with their Cannondale rep himself. Check everywhere for an original frame. If not Get a sweet upgrade.
The carbon Rush was never made in the USA........do some research before going on a made in Asia rant.... :D
They will most likely replace it with a Rize 120 which is better than the Rush IMHO.
BTW the Rush was produced until 2010 so I don't think it can be considered a "classic" just yet....;)

#8 ·
How long ago was this that they built the bike AND wasn't it obvious that the shock wasn't installed correctly? Have to ask, as looking at the images of it online it'd be obvious the shock mounts with the shaft to the TT mount and canister to the linkage - some of the blame has to lie in your court for not noticing something that to me would be that obvious. Yes they were morons for not installing it properly, but it's not like it's a part that's hiden from view, be reasonable and work with them and Cdale to see what they can do.

#9 ·
Here's a pic of the bike about a year and a half ago when the shop had just RE-assembled it. This frame was actually a warranty replacement, but that's another story.

The upper end of the shaft was wedged in between the mount and the TT. Now that I know that, its obvious and you can see it in this photo. The thing is, it was wedged in there so well it acted like it was attached and I never had reason to look under there until it came loose. Should I have noticed? Maybe, but I didn't. Neither did the guys in the shop when it had been in a few times during that time period. Once, I took it in because I was having trouble with the valve on the shock and nobody noticed it then. And after all, isn't this why we rely on professionals to take care of these things; so that we can just ride and assume that everything was done correctly.

Couple things to remember here:

1. The shop has admitted fault and said they "owe me a frame".
2. This is NOT a warranty issue. This is something the shop has to deal with not Cannondale. Yes maybe they can use their relationship with the rep to help resolve this; but ultimately its up to them to make it right. Actually, they have the opportunity to turn this into a real positive if they chose since they're not bound by the Warranty Agreement and all the constraints that go with it.

I am trying to be reasonable. I'm willing to listen to any ideas. That's why I posted this. But at the end of the day, the shop needs to realize this is part of doing business. When you are considered an expert you assume the liability that comes with that and when you make a mistake you make good on it. How you go about that is the real representation of what kind of business or person you are.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I do appreciate the comments. Reading other points of view helps me be more reasonable.

Attachments

#10 ·
Sorry, your pic is too small to see anything with regards to the shock mounting, do you have a bigger version fo that pic? When I said work with Cdale I meant as in them helping to find another Rush frame that might, as someone said be sitting as old stock in another shop. From what you're describing it sounds like it wasn't actually bolted into the actual bolt hole/slot in the TT mounting area. From this pic I found online I just can't see how you could possibly fvck this up :eek:ut: :???:

and in case you're wondering where I found that listed for sale http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/rush-carbon-3-2009-mountain-bike-ec016033

Attachments

#12 ·
A nice new RZ-120 would be a good replacement frame.
Although you do see new/old stock Rush Carbon Frames on Ebay from time to time too and they may go that route if they can't find you one from C-Dale...
Honestly, I would not let them ever touch my bike again after seeing that either... The idiot that put that together should either be fired or be paying for your new frame out of his own pocket...

#14 ·
There is some hope. A buddy of mine had the seat tube on his Rush carbon fail a couple of months ago in March. C'dale was able to find another one for him and he's now riding a new carbon Rush frame. His was size S, which I assume would work in his favor, but regardless, there is hope of you getting a new Rush frame.

Good luck,
Pete

#15 ·
Update

For those that are curious, the shop gave me a credit of $2650 to use in the store however I see fit. I thought this seemed very fair and offers me loads of flexibility, but the big question is now what? RZ120, RZ 140, Jekyll? They also carry Niner so I could go that way. Any of these, especially the Niner, are going to have compatibility issues requiring me to get different components, but I don't have a great feel as to the extent.

Little more information about me. I'm a roadie dabbling in mountain biking. I loved my Rush because the feel was very much like a road bike. However, the more I ride the more I realize the Rush was not created for the terrain I ride. So if I can do it without spending a lot of money, I'd really like to go in the direction of a longer travel, all mountain ride. So please help me find the balance between upgrading travel without spending tons of cash.

#19 ·
So, any decision as to what you're going to do yet? If you move to a 29er for sure you'll need a new fork, wheelset, maybe headset, cables, seatpost and FD, rest should not be wheel nor frame specific. For a nice Fork and wheelset you're looking at probably $900 - 1,200 unless you can find some smoking deals and depending on what you consider nice - for me that Pro2s laced to Flows wheel wise and something like a Reba RL, Tower Pro, or Float RL for fork.

For those that are curious, the shop gave me a credit of $2650 to use in the store however I see fit. I thought this seemed very fair and offers me loads of flexibility, but the big question is now what? RZ120, RZ 140, Jekyll? They also carry Niner so I could go that way. Any of these, especially the Niner, are going to have compatibility issues requiring me to get different components, but I don't have a great feel as to the extent.

Little more information about me. I'm a roadie dabbling in mountain biking. I loved my Rush because the feel was very much like a road bike. However, the more I ride the more I realize the Rush was not created for the terrain I ride. So if I can do it without spending a lot of money, I'd really like to go in the direction of a longer travel, all mountain ride. So please help me find the balance between upgrading travel without spending tons of cash.

#17 ·
I just have to say WOW. I could see it was off from that far away pic.

I have a total eye for detail, but I can see it being missed if it worked OK.

I hope it all works out. The RZ 120 could be a decent replacement, but they don't make it in carbon IIRC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.