mtbr member
    Sep 2004

shoe rubs on prophet chainstay/swing arm????

i just took my prophet for its first ride today, and after about 40miles of use, i noticed that both of my shoes are rubbing on the chainstays of the rear swing arm. Is this a common problem??? or is this normal???

i now have light scratches on both chainstays.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno787
    i just took my prophet for its first ride today, and after about 40miles of use, i noticed that both of my shoes are rubbing on the chainstays of the rear swing arm. Is this a common problem??? or is this normal???

i now have light scratches on both chainstays.....
    Not normal, however we probably all occasionally rub the chainstay... Too many variables here; width of the rear part of your shoe, pedaling style, cleat placement, skeletal structure of your legs. Get some clear protective tape, and protect that part of your chainstay.

Below is a picture of my left unprotected chainstay after 142 rides, under bright light, there appears to be some minor scuffing about 1-2 inches to the left of the C'dale trademark...

P.S. Before you detectives notice my chain-rings appear unworn, the entire drive train got new parts last weekend...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkHL; 03-05-2006 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thats exactly where my scratches are too!!! my rear swing arm is gloss black, so it easily stands out

Unit 91
    Wow that brake cable is asking to be grabbed.

About the scratches, it is most likely your pedals/cleat placement. What kinda of pedals are you running. You may be running one that allows heal float and you may need to adjust your pedaling.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    im using CrankBrothers Candy C pedals, i dont think it offers any adjustment.

do spacers on the hollowtech external bb have any effect on this???

Drink...sleep
    You could try a small washer between the crankarm and the pedal itself, so the pedal will stand out just a bit more.

Members who have read this thread: 0