Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano XTR Trial brakes in a Jekyll Carbon 2

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  tonymoto 
#1 ·
Hi,

My Jekyll comes with my 5th set of Avid Elixir brakes (the CR model in this case) and i only can say that they suck!! ...I know that Avid has a lot of fans, but they keep loosing pressure, they need continuing bleeding, they make a terrible noise when they get hot, etc. So i change them for a nice set of Shimano XTR Trial 2011 brakes and all i can say is that they are amazing!!

But, this is not a review, i'm posting because i need some advice folks, therear adapter in the Jekyll is for a 185mm rotor, and the XTR is a 180mm rotor, so, there is a little difference and i can't let them perfectly mounted. I know that in march, Avid anounced that the new 2012 elixir 7 and 9 (C and CR) will be very different and they will come with 180mm and 200mm rotors, so, no more 185mm and 203mm rotors.

Do you know if Cannondale makes a rear adapter for 180mm?? or i will have to wait until the next year Avid brakes makes his debut and them Cannondale offers a rear Jekyll adapter for them??

Thanks,

Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! ...but the Jekyll has a 142mm rear hub and a it needs a special pm to pm adaptor. I will upload a pic, but itsn't a straight adapter, this one is curved. two holes that goes in the frame and two holes for the caliper that are like 10 or 12mm to the center of the hub.

Alex

#4 ·
Three ideas/solutions:

1. Doesn't Cannondale already have different adaptors? (I have no clue, might be worth looking into)

2. The Avids have the silly CPS conical spacers (I actually take these off on my Avid XX brakes to lighten things and simplify the alignement) that the Shimano wont use. I'm guessing that you may actually be pretty close but might need to customize the spacing (either by adding thin washers or probably filing down the adaptor a bit, theorically, the caliper needs to move down by 2.5mm for a 5mm rotor downsize) and get it to work...

3. Install the XTR brakes but keep the Avid 185mm rotor.

#5 ·
Hey!

Thanks for the three solutions.

1. For the Jekyll, Cannondale doesn't have other adaptors (for now)
2. If i took off the conical spacers maybe y will move down the caliper by 2.5mm ...i have to try this :)
3. This is my last alternative, but the brakes work better with the new Ice-Tech rotors (the difference can be notice)...i had to put the new XT 2012 rotors because, the XTR rotors only came in the center lock configuration, but the XT's comes with a 6 bolt option.

Thanks again!
Alex

#6 ·
Here are the part #s of the different brake adapters for the Jekyll, Claymore, Scalpel 29r, etc.

KP175
KIT,ADAPTER,SI12 PM/160
KP176
KIT,ADAPTER,SI12 PM/180
KP177
KIT,ADAPTER,SI12 PM/185
KP178/
KIT,ADAPTER,SI12 PM/203

Cannondale has all of these adapters in stock right now. It's amazing how much info you can get if you call and get someone who knows what they are talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.