Dirt Whore

Shimano XT Crankset for 05 Prohphet

I am looking to go with the Shimano XT Crankset to replace the truvative Blaze on my P600.

What is the difference between all of the Shimano XT Cranks i.e. the numbers I have seen the M760, M752, M572.etc, is there a particular one that I should be looking for? I am about 5 11.

Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro K
    I am looking to go with the Shimano XT Crankset to replace the truvative Blaze on my P600.

What is the difference between all of the Shimano XT Cranks i.e. the numbers I have seen the M760, M752, M572.etc, is there a particular one that I should be looking for? I am about 5 11.

Thanks
    Hey there, the 760 is the newest, 2 piece, external bb bearing style, the 752 is the previous generation 3 piece, octalink bb style. Make sure they sell you the right BB, V2 type, ES71(XT) or ES51(LX), it must also be an "E Type" bb, as that's what front der you have. 572 is LX 3 piece type. Note that the 2 piece type come with spacers to accomodate E type ders, so no additional concern is needed if buying one of those, they also come with the crank, as opposed to being a separate purchase. You will need the corresponding small spacer that goes behind the plate of your der though, if you go 2 pc. Happy shopping!

Dirt Whore
    Okay cool....looks like the 760 is the one I want, Just to clarify, if I get the 760 will i need to purchase an additional spacer for the E-type, or will it have everything i need.

Thanks
    pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    "Note that the 2 piece type come with spacers to accomodate E type ders"

Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    "Note that the 2 piece type come with spacers to accomodate E type ders"
    Really? Must be a fluke, as I have installed several over the last few months, and they have the BB spacers (big), but no E Type der spacers (tiny). Silly Shimano, either do it, or don't=

Dirt Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Really? Must be a fluke, as I have installed several over the last few months, and they have the BB spacers (big), but no E Type der spacers (tiny). Silly Shimano, either do it, or don't=
    Okay so i bought the XT, where do i get the spacer from? is a shimano part?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro K
    Okay so i bought the XT, where do i get the spacer from? is a shimano part?
    It's a Shimano part, but not very readily available. Like I said before, all it is is a washer, through which a bolt the size which holds water bottle cages onto the frame (just for size imagery's sake) I would not fret, just get a washer close to, if not the same thickness as the BB spacers that will come with the crank/BB. It goes behind the plate of the F der, where the bolt that holds it to the seatube goes. You need this because you will be putting a spacer behind the E plate, on the BB cup when you do the install. If you do not put a spacer behind the plate bolt, it will make the plate cockeyed, when you tighten the bolt into place, it's very obvious, once you start, what it is I mean. Let me know if you need more info!

Members who have read this thread: 0