mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Shimano cranks on BB30 shell

I am mooving to a 2010 RZ One20 frame. It has a BB30 shell and I am looking for a solution to continue using my current LX cranks.
    I found a number of solutions, such as:
    - FSA adapter to be pressed into the BB30 shell and allows fro use of any "standard" crankset
    - Wheels Manufacturing BB30 Shims for HollowTech II, looks very easy to install - these are pressed into the BB30 bearings
    - FOCUSTEK BB30 MTB Adapter, these look like a BB30 bearing with an extra shim

Any recommendations? Good / Bad experience with any of these?

Thank YOU,
    Fredy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've got the Wheels Mfg adapters on my Flash 29 using an SLX crankset and a SRAM BB30 bearing kit. Works great. Had the LBS do the installation because it was a warranty replacement frame. I was told a spacer was placed on the drive side to maintain chainline.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

FIRENZE rulez !!
    kcnc too does this adapters

reset from Germany too

THM Carbones too

and others not remembering

lots of chioce

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I use the Wheels Mfg adapters on my Caffeine 29er and SLX cranks, too. Works great, no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have just received a replacement Flash carbon ultimate frame, on checking the BB30 bottom bracket shell has an integrated circlip (unremovable) any ideas on if there is a shim available that will adapt this style of shell to accommodate a standard Stylo triple crank set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well, I got the shims - now I need a couple of 2.5-3mm spacers for the 24mm spindle.
    Any idea where to buy these online?

Thanks,
    Fredy

gmk
    angels get bald too
    Quote Originally Posted by NZL151
    I have just received a replacement Flash carbon ultimate frame, on checking the BB30 bottom bracket shell has an integrated circlip (unremovable) any ideas on if there is a shim available that will adapt this style of shell to accommodate a standard Stylo triple crank set.
    sorry but
    why donīt you use the BB30 on your flash ? fsa(BB30) cranksets are reliable and stiff and light too

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got the Focustek adapter for my new Rize, works like a charm with an XTR crank. Was a bit iffy to press it in (no Cdale tools here), but with a good headset press I got it in eventually. Good, high quality product.

mtbr member
    It's unfortunate that Shimano refuses to adopt the BB30 or a double crankset for that matter other than ultra expensive XTR for 2011. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of swinging towards 2011 Sram X9. I don't need a triple crankset, I never use the granny and I'm in average shape .
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Quote Originally Posted by NZL151

yes http://wheelsmfg.com/content/view/785/54/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fredy_signer View Post
    Well, I got the shims - now I need a couple of 2.5-3mm spacers for the 24mm spindle.
    Any idea where to buy these online?

Thanks,
    Fredy
    I believe the shims/spacers are needed to make the width 73mm. When ordering this adapter for a mtb you also need to order the $10 spacer kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmk View Post
    sorry but
    why donīt you use the BB30 on your flash ? fsa(BB30) cranksets are reliable and stiff and light too
    Yes, it's your bike of course but why the stylo / triple? surely you'd want a nice BB30 (Hollowgram?) or something on an ultimate?