mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Shifter cable problem

On the jekyll with the cables running under the bottem bracket, I have trouble with the shifter cables getting dirt and crud in them. Is there a sealed cable?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Where the water is getting in is through the wire that goes into the swing-arm and pools at the bend. My bike is using all sealed cables but also use sealing rubber ferrules. They have a rubber shield that extends from the end of the cable into the wire.

The item I'm talking about looks like the one below (upper left corner):

Any respectable LBS should have inventory on these.

For the ultimate in cables, I use and prefer the "RideOn" line. Unlike most others, they use a 3 layer system (wire core, telfon liner & outer shield). On my last bike, I never needed to change or maintain any cables in 4 years.
    Last edited by RaveOn; 01-03-2004 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 02jekyll1000
    On the jekyll with the cables running under the bottem bracket, I have trouble with the shifter cables getting dirt and crud in them. Is there a sealed cable?
    Had a similar issue with a spec enduro - ran full cable housing from shifter to rear-d and it eliminated that problem.

I drilled out the cable stops and used them to guide the housing, kept the 'normal' cable routing.

IIRC the Jeckyll has some good bends in the rear-d cable route, running a good teflon coated inner wire with RideOn or other good housing will help keep you shifting smooth "longly".

;^)