Icebiker

Set up Question for DYAD shock owners

I have a new Trigger 29er with the DYAD RT2 shock. I followed the manual's instruction for setting it up (release all air from negative chamber, pump up the positive chamber, then pump up the negative). It says to repeat these steps anytime I want to change the pressure. So, say I wanted to increase the pressure in the positive by 30 psi and the negative by 15, I'd have to let the negative all the way out, then add 30 to the positive, then pump the negative back to the desired pressure. This seems like more work than it should be, no?

Do you DYAD owners do this, or will it work just as effectively to up the pressure in both from whatever pressure they are currently set at? Never had a DYAD before, so thanks for your help.

Icebiker
    bump...anyone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well Thats what I do !!!anyway you do not do it every day, make sure you go with less air than the manual says !!!

mtbr member
    As chris58 has said, you don't need to do it everyday. I have found the DYAD holds air pressure's very well, its a setup and forget about type system.

Icebiker
    Yep, thanks. Same thing for my prior shocks, set and forget. Reason for my question is that since it's a new bike, I'm still playing with the shock set up to find the right pressure so I wanted to be able to tweak it in fine increments rather than have to reset to zero everytime. Interestingly Chris, so far, I've actually found more air (than manual says for my weight) is better. Will try your trick too and see what that does.

mtbr member
    Cannondale has an iPhone app to help with suspension setup. It tells me to put much more than the manual did.

Oh and my buddy who works for cannondale said its a good idea to let the neg down every time. Won't hurt anything, but you won't get an accurate setup if you don't.

mtbr member
    I always let both chambers down when i set up my DYAD on my Jekyll.

As for pressures, i run about 35% less pressure in each chamber then manual recommends ( i have a sag indicator fitted, and i set up the sag to be in-line with it).

mtbr member
    Where do you get a sag indicator?

mtbr member
    I got the one for my Jekyll on eBay, but you can get them at the link below. Not sure if they do one for the Trigger tho.

The part code is - KP188 if you want to order from your dealer.

Cannondale Jekyll Sag Indicator Kit - KP188/ - CannondaleExperts.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well the indicator is on the bike, pressure as the manual says is way hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris58 View Post
    So did you just buy the Jekyll indicator kit, or did you find one made for the trigger?

What about the cannondale iPhone app, how close is it? If you don't have an iPhone give me your weight and ill tell you what it says.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Follow cannondales setup guidelines. Unsure why your concerned with emptying the negative chamber so often. The DYAD on my claymore is as close to a set it and forget system as it gets. Play with the chamber pressure chart numbers as needed based on your riding style. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    I have a new Trigger 29er with the DYAD RT2 shock. I followed the manual's instruction for setting it up (release all air from negative chamber, pump up the positive chamber, then pump up the negative). It says to repeat these steps anytime I want to change the pressure. So, say I wanted to increase the pressure in the positive by 30 psi and the negative by 15, I'd have to let the negative all the way out, then add 30 to the positive, then pump the negative back to the desired pressure. This seems like more work than it should be, no?

Do you DYAD owners do this, or will it work just as effectively to up the pressure in both from whatever pressure they are currently set at? Never had a DYAD before, so thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Okay fellas, silly question of the day. Just got a new Trigger 29er 1 and so far (only a few miles of riding) I just can't really feel the difference between Elevate and Flow mode. Definitely not when I just sit on the bike. It sags almost identical in either setting. I thought surely once I hit the trail I'll feel the difference, but not so much. Just curious if anyone else experiences this or if something may possible be wrong with the shock.

Icebiker
    Congrats on the new ride! You should definitely feel a difference between the two modes...very noticeable. I had a similar issue in the beginning and traced it to an underinflated shock. My problem was that I didn't tighten the shock pump collar firmly enough on the valve, so the readings the shock pump were showing when I was pumping were artificially high. Make sure the shock pump (should have come with the bike, you need this pump, not just any shock pump) is on tight before you pump. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by preachinmachine View Post
    Okay fellas, silly question of the day. Just got a new Trigger 29er 1 and so far (only a few miles of riding) I just can't really feel the difference between Elevate and Flow mode. Definitely not when I just sit on the bike. It sags almost identical in either setting. I thought surely once I hit the trail I'll feel the difference, but not so much. Just curious if anyone else experiences this or if something may possible be wrong with the shock.
    Just like everyone else says... I set my shock at a lower pressure than the manual says.

I agree that the difference between the two modes is almost imperceptible at first, but when I'm banging on the trail, I definitely notice the difference. When I'm in the flow mode and I shift to elevate, I can feel the back end do a stink bug thing and I get more weight on my hands. Peddle efficiency is much greater. I ride in elevate mode as a default and switch to flow mode when I'm going to bomb a downhill. I use it alot. It really has an effect almost like shifting to a lower gear. It is one of my favorite features of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Just like everyone else says... I set my shock at a lower pressure than the manual says.

I agree that the difference between the two modes is almost imperceptible at first, but when I'm banging on the trail, I definitely notice the difference. When I'm in the flow mode and I shift to elevate, I can feel the back end do a stink bug thing and I get more weight on my hands. Peddle efficiency is much greater. I ride in elevate mode as a default and switch to flow mode when I'm going to bomb a downhill. I use it alot. It really has an effect almost like shifting to a lower gear. It is one of my favorite features of the bike.
    Same here. I am at two weight levels from the manual down. It is extremely responsive at the current setting. And no bottoming out. I have the Lefty one setting higher than the chart but I have also installed a 110 stem because of my abnormally long torso.

Icebiker
    ^^ interesting...I am one level UP in pressure from the manual and it's perfect. I think however most are finding it better the opposite way.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chris58 View Post
    You need to use a high-pressure shock pump such as the Airspeed Shock Pump that is included with your dealer-purchased OverMountain bike that features the DYAD shock.

The Airspeed Shock Pump is also available as an aftermarket item: http://www.cannondale.com/2012-airsp...ock-pump-21597