Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

servicing the Rize central pivot

I wanted to replace the central pivot of my Rize 2009. Not because it's broken or anything, but simply because the bike has sustained continued abuse for a few years, and it's time to service all the moving parts.

However, I do not seem to be able to remove the existing pivot. I took off the bolt from the left side, but the pivot seems to be very tightly stuck. I can turn it using a wrench, indicating that it is not galvanically welded (that was my biggest worry). But hitting on the protruding bit on the left side with a rubber hammer hasn't produced any effect.

Any advice on what to do? Many thanks in advance!

Helmetless Crasher
    bang it out hard w/ with a metal hammer and socket extension. replace w/ new hardware
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks! I followed your advice (with some trepidation) and could get the darn thing out very quickly!

It was a good thing, because it made clear that the bearings are completely toast. Which brings me to my next question: how do I get the darn bearings out of their sockets? They are glued, as far as I understand...

Helmetless Crasher
    The main pivot bearings are press-fit. To get the bearings in/out, you will need a press tool. I used a bolt, a small block of wood, and some washers from the local hardware store to create a suitable home-made press/extraction tool.

I drilled a hole in the block of wood just large enough for the bearing to fit through. The wood block worked well because it does not dent/mar the swing-arm when the extraction pressure is applied.

If you are not used to pressing/extracting bearings and fabbing-up your own tool to do so, you may want to just take the swing-arm to a shop and let them do it for you.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great advice, Stumpjumpy - thanks! And by the way, I am a neuroscientist, so I am really interested in studying your brain (based on your interesting avatar)!

In case I wouldn't fab my own press-tool, is there anything commercially available (Park Tools or similar) that you would recommend?

Helmetless Crasher
    LOL re my brain!

Yeah, I'm sure a proper commercial tool exists (whatever a bike shop would use), but I dont know which they are.

BTW, most folks agree that the Enduro MAX bearings are the best pivot bearing repacements available, with a 2-3x increase in service life vs. the OE bearings.

Good luck!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So, I finally managed to extrude the bearings - but it was a major pain!

My question to the conoscendi: do I really need to apply Loctite, when replacing the shock/pivot bearings? After all, the bearings are tightly held in place by the pivot and (for the shock bearings) by the respective screws, all of which are Loctite-secured.

I ask because it was so incredibly difficult to get the original bearings out of the frame, and I worry that the frame might not survive such stress a second time...

Sweater

A little late to the game but I've used different sized sockets and a vise as press fit tools. Won't work in all applications just because of getting a frame in the right position with the vise but it does for some.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Do a Google search for 'Rize Bearing Service Tech Note 122175'

This will explain everything you need to know about servicing the seatstay and shock link bearings

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac the Knife View Post
    Do a Google search for 'Rize Bearing Service Tech Note 122175'

This will explain everything you need to know about servicing the seatstay and shock link bearings
    Yep - that.

There is a long thread on here, too, that deals with the pivot bearing replacement process w/ pointers, tips, hints, tricks, best practices, etc.

My Rize seatstay and main pivot bearings
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The loctite used in the pivot bearings are held in with what is called a "retaining compound" which doesnt "release" until it reaches about 500 degrees (F). I used a $13 heat gun from harbor freight. After heated to the appropriate temperature all the bearings almost fell out or released with a socket and bearing press with minimal force. The 500 degrees isnt anywhere near hot enough to compromise the structure of aluminum alloy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks - this is very helpful. Also, I am having trouble finding a collection of assorted washers/spacers/distance rings suitable to fabricating appropriate press tools. Specifically, I am trying to find tube-like metal parts with an internal diameter between 35 and 50mm and a length (or rather a height) of 2-3cm.

The local hardware shops I visited didn't carry anything like that. If push comes to shove I might buy a few metal tubes and trim them - but this is going to add expense and trouble. Google wasn't very helpful either. Anybody has a "secret tip" on this issue?

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    Thanks - this is very helpful. Also, I am having trouble finding a collection of assorted washers/spacers/distance rings suitable to fabricating appropriate press tools. Specifically, I am trying to find tube-like metal parts with an internal diameter between 35 and 50mm and a length (or rather a height) of 2-3cm.

The local hardware shops I visited didn't carry anything like that. If push comes to shove I might buy a few metal tubes and trim them - but this is going to add expense and trouble. Google wasn't very helpful either. Anybody has a "secret tip" on this issue?
    Maybe get some washers a little larger than you need and put them on a large nail or screwdriver, then hold the screwdriver like you're eating corn on the cob and put them up against the wheel on a bench grinder. They should spin and take material off evenly and hopefully slowly enough to get them at the diameter you need. It could be tricky, but may work. Just a random thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Maybe get some washers a little larger than you need and put them on a large nail or screwdriver, then hold the screwdriver like you're eating corn on the cob and put them up against the wheel on a bench grinder. They should spin and take material off evenly and hopefully slowly enough to get them at the diameter you need. It could be tricky, but may work. Just a random thought.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I may not have been sufficiently clear. I have made a quick TurboCad drawing of the metal parts that I am trying to appropriate. Inner diameter could be 3, 4, or 5cm. It seems to be difficult to identify an appropriate source.

servicing the Rize central pivot-drawing1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thank you for your thoughts. I may not have been sufficiently clear. I have made a quick TurboCad drawing of the metal parts that I am trying to appropriate. Inner diameter could be 3, 4, or 5cm. It seems to be difficult to identify an appropriate source.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drawing1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	790188
    These metal parts, are you going to use these for installation?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well, yeah, the idea was to use it as the centerpiece of a bearing extraction/press tool...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Dont take this wrong.. Im not saying its great to be thorough or have the exact correct tool for the job (after all I have a $4500 snapon tool box with drawers full of specialty tools)..

This is what I found to work best from my experiences with that bearing process..

I used this "nut setter" for removal of the small diameter bearings (seat stays and shock links). Name:  577-61652.EPS.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  6.4 KB

It may seem like a hack way of doing it.. but it worked flawlessly. After that retaining compound releases, the bearing comes out easy.

I was also worried about installing the bearings prior to starting.. only to find out almost every bearing installed with nothing more than my fingers. The couple that didnt only took a light tap with a hammer, and I used a socket equal to the outside diameter of the bearing. My fingers did almost all the work. They simply dropped into place which is when I realized just how important that compound is.

One that didnt go in easy was one of the seat stay bearings, because of overspray in the bearing cup. Once that was removed that bearing also installed with my fingers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hmmm... I had lots of trouble getting small bearings out of their cages - but that is my fault since the bearings were always "way beyond dead". Had I done the job in a more timely fashion, things might have been easier.

Here comes a more precise drawing of the press tool that I am trying to construct:

Name:  BearingExtactor.gif
Views: 163
Size:  13.3 KB

Sweater

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drawing1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	790188
    I was thinking doing this and here are my thoughts on it:
    Keep the washers off the rest on the grinder, this will allow the washers to spin so they are ground evenly. Along the lines of a lathe, only in this case pieces are moving rather than just the part.
    You can adjust the OD to whatever you need by careful grinding. Washers of different sizes are easily available and a suitable ID should be easy to source.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you wanted to grind down those washers evenly without flatspots, put them on a length of threaded rod about 4-5 inches long, lock them in place at one end using nuts, then put the other end in a drill so you can spin the lot while grinding them.. kinda like a crude lathe

Personally, when it comes to bearing removal / installation I would recommend investing in the right tools.. and I use the word 'invest' because as far as I'm concerned tools should be considered an investment.. not only will the right tool save you time, money and hassle but will also save your frame from potential damage when using DIY tools.. its also nice to be able to do the job safely with the confidence that you'll get it done right first time round.. and after you've used the tools once they have already paid for themselves, when you use them a second time you are now saving money.. and nine out of ten times the same tool can be used on different bikes as bearing sizes are pretty common across a lot of bikes..

Most bearing removal tools are hideously expensive but check these out, they are relatively cheap and will remove and install bearings with the one tool..

Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts

Rize bearings are 6800 and 6902 - both sizes taken care of with these tools..

Now I'm not saying that DIYing a tool is a bad thing.. I've made a lot of DIY tools myself over the years and there is nothing like that Macguyver feeling when it all goes right..!!

Helmetless Crasher
    If you wanted to grind down those washers evenly without flatspots, put them on a length of threaded rod about 4-5 inches long, lock them in place at one end using nuts, then put the other end in a drill so you can spin the lot while grinding them.. kinda like a crude lathe

Personally, when it comes to bearing removal / installation I would recommend investing in the right tools.. and I use the word 'invest' because as far as I'm concerned tools should be considered an investment.. not only will the right tool save you time, money and hassle but will also save your frame from potential damage when using DIY tools.. its also nice to be able to do the job safely with the confidence that you'll get it done right first time round.. and after you've used the tools once they have already paid for themselves, when you use them a second time you are now saving money.. and nine out of ten times the same tool can be used on different bikes as bearing sizes are pretty common across a lot of bikes..

Most bearing removal tools are hideously expensive but check these out, they are relatively cheap and will remove and install bearings with the one tool..

Rize bearings are 6800 and 6902 - both sizes taken care of with these tools..

Now I'm not saying that DIYing a tool is a bad thing.. I've made a lot of DIY tools myself over the years and there is nothing like that Macguyver feeling when it all goes right..!!
    those lil bearing tools look sweet!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks! I have just ordered them. From the picture it's not entirely clear to me how to use them to extract the suspension bearings - but I guess that things will become self-explanatory once I have the tools in my hands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yep, compared to other tools they really are cheap, but good quality and very well made.. not a disposable tool by any means..

They also do a nice BB30 press tool as well.. cheaper than other BB30 presses out there..

If you click on the link I've posted... have a look just under the description of the tool... there is a link in Bold writing.. it brings you to a very helpful colour PDF that explains exactly how the tool works both for extraction and installation..

Hope that helps....
    The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: servicing the Rize central pivot

I ordered the tool on Sunday. It arrived on Tuesday to my home (Switzerland). And I didn't even choose expedited delivery. Amazing service!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast