mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sept 2004, Good time to buy a Jekyll?

My Scalpel 2000 (2002) was stolen recently . Thanks be to God, I had it insured, and am now looking to buy a new bike with the big insurance cheque laying in my back pocket. Can anyone chip in with some advice on the following?

I loved the Scalpel, but always felt I was never doing it full justice. I do XC / epics, but have only managed a handful of races in recent seasons. If you know that you are only going to be racing on the most casual basis, can you really justify the Scalpel? I'm inclined to think no, and go for the more versatile Jekyll. Reading this board though, it looks like the Jekyll is finished as far as CDale are concerned

Everyone knows that the 2004 Jekylls are boss bikes, does it make any difference that Cdale would no longer be (AFAIK) making them? I guess some people will naturally move to the prophet, but it doesn't look like it would suit the race-orientated XC riding I enjoy.

Huge Tracts of Land
    if you can get a good deal anytime is a good time --> I have always found building a good relationship with a bike shop is the best way to get long term good service and deals

my 2 c

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wait 1 more month or so...October and order a Cannondale Darwin. 4" front and rear based on the Prophet. Should see a Team, 4000, 3000, 2000 etc. models for that insurance money of yours. This is dubbed Cannondale's Marathon bike. Raceable for sure...very at home on a 4-6 hr ride and you may see it in the 24 hr races for the solo warriors. I am guessing it will be introduced at Interbike in Las Vegas - 2nd weekend in October. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ne14xtr
    Wait 1 more month or so...October and order a Cannondale Darwin. 4" front and rear based on the Prophet. Should see a Team, 4000, 3000, 2000 etc. models for that insurance money of yours. This is dubbed Cannondale's Marathon bike. Raceable for sure...very at home on a 4-6 hr ride and you may see it in the 24 hr races for the solo warriors. I am guessing it will be introduced at Interbike in Las Vegas - 2nd weekend in October. Good luck.
    Where did you get this info?

mtbr member

Just received a Supergo flier, 25% off any Cannondale over 1000.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungadin
    Where did you get this info?

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ride on ... eh!

Depends.....

.... how is that for an answer?
    Actually, the Jekyll is a pretty good ride. Very balanced travel front and back.... 4 or 4.5 inches front and rear..... 5 inches with the Lefty Max.
    Now, if you can get past the fact that you are getting a "discontinued" or soon-to-be "discontinued" bike, then if you can get a good deal on a Jekyll, definitely go for it.
    If not, then look at the Prophet or Darwin (haven't heard about that until now!!)
    Both the Prophet and the Jekyll are single pivot with SPV shocks, with the 04 Jekyll and the Prophet having the same shock, so other than the intangibles of pivot point location, and travel of 5" as opposed to 4" it is probably pretty much the same.... agreed a few small differences.
    I haven't ridden the Prophet, but I have ridden a Jekyll for three years now and it is a great bike. For racing (depends on your level and dedication) it is a little on the heavy side, so it may be worthwhile waiting for this "Darwin". I'm off to do a Google search on that right now!
    Good Luck!

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnbkrdude
    .... how is that for an answer?
    Actually, the Jekyll is a pretty good ride. Very balanced travel front and back.... 4 or 4.5 inches front and rear..... 5 inches with the Lefty Max.
    Now, if you can get past the fact that you are getting a "discontinued" or soon-to-be "discontinued" bike, then if you can get a good deal on a Jekyll, definitely go for it.
    If not, then look at the Prophet or Darwin (haven't heard about that until now!!)
    Both the Prophet and the Jekyll are single pivot with SPV shocks, with the 04 Jekyll and the Prophet having the same shock, so other than the intangibles of pivot point location, and travel of 5" as opposed to 4" it is probably pretty much the same.... agreed a few small differences.
    I haven't ridden the Prophet, but I have ridden a Jekyll for three years now and it is a great bike. For racing (depends on your level and dedication) it is a little on the heavy side, so it may be worthwhile waiting for this "Darwin". I'm off to do a Google search on that right now!
    Good Luck!
    Great ride. The idea that the Jekyll is being discontinued, is to me an opportunity to hopefully get another one cheep. I've been riding mine since August of 2000, and it is an awesome bike.

I've raced it (I'm not a racer, but my team took 2nd at 23HOA), taken it on epic mtb hut trips in Alaska, Colorado, Utah, and I currently ride it 2-3 days a week here in Colorado on some of the roughest terrain on the planet.

Although it is a single pivot design, I can lock out the shock while riding (though I rarely do) and it's virtualy a hard tail so it climbs very efficiently. And it's plush on the downhills.

I've never had a problem with the frame or the rear (float RL) shock, or any components except the rear CODA brake. The single pivot design is bombproof.

I nearly bought a new S-Works Epic recently ( smoking closeout deal) but decided to keep looking for a deal on a new Jekyll. It's a better bike for the type of riding I do and the terrain I ride.
    Last edited by EdZilla; 08-27-2004 at 10:14 PM.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys. I was out today looking for a cut-price Jekyll and my LBS has a beautiful ex-demo 3000 going for 2500 quid (that's a great price for the UK). It's a large, and when I swing a leg over it my ballsack is slapping the toptube!

It's a pretty big bike. My scalpel was a large, but I guess the notch in the toptube has a big effect on the ride geometry. Anyhow, I'll keep looking, or wait till the Darwin ne14xtr alluded to shows up. Anyone else heard about this bike?

"Emotional Feedback"
    Never heard of the Darwin.
    We will see I guess then huh....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cannondale Darwin

From my shop and the local C'Dale rep. I am considering the bike as a replacement to my Scalpel 3000 from this year. I had pedalled a Prophet back in June and it was very impressive. 5.5" and no bob whatsoever in the BCR hammering the parking lot and then straight into the curb and super plush. You will see the big intro after the excitement towards the Prophet slows down a bit. I was told at Interbike in Las Vegas.

Are you talking to me?

Not sure about the Darwin.

I have the 2005 dealer kit, and there is nothing about it. I guess we will find out at Interbike.
    gfy