Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Semi-Newb Looking for Scalpel/Jekyll Advice

Ok so I admit, asking about these two bikes is a pretty weird pairing, but of the full squish models that Cannondale offers (short of the Trigger 29er, which doesn't exist yet, right?) these are the two that I'm focused on. So here's a bit about me to hopefully allow the advice that I'm asking for to be useful/productive:

1. I'm dedicated to Cannondale in a family way so whatever new bike I do get is going to be from 'dale.

2. I'm an all-mountain rider on mostly technical, rocky terrain in the Northeast (specifically NH seacoast area) and have no aspirations of racing or even being all that quick. No real desire to launch off big jumps or downhill. I'd just like to not get either beaten or eaten by the trail I'm riding.

3. I'm an avid road rider. Again, no racing, but from a cycling fitness standpoint I'm probably better than average.

4. I'm coming from an 17yr old Gary Fisher Joshua so anything is going to be a huge step up in tech. That said, I'm having fun on the GF right up until the grip shifts decide to do something right when I put the power to the pedals. It's time for this thing to be retired.

5. I don't plan to ride a ton, but regularly. I'll be lucky if I get out once a week between kids, wife, work, etc.

I'm in research mode right now and the first suggestion that I got from a friend was the Scalpel 29er. The next friend I talked to said I'd be a fool to get a 100mm travel bike given what I'm riding and that the aggressive handling of the Scalpel would chew me up and spit me out and that the Jekyll would be a lot more fun and easier to ride. The first friend countered that the 29" wheels make up for some of the lost travel by not dipping into every little bump that 26" wheels would. Second friend says that with my power I can overcome a lot of the perceived shortcomings of the 26er and not to sweat that part of it. I've done a decent amount of reading online about both bikes and the Jekyll would seem to be the clear choice but given the limited price difference between say a Jekyll 3 and Scalpel 29er 2 I'd love to hear some opinions from folks here. Basically I've got the opportunity to pick up a leftover '12 Jekyll at a very attractive price but would rather not make a decision that I regret for the next several years before I can get approval from accounting for something like this. I'd also like to not drive myself nuts with the decision. That's a narrow tightrope, I know.

So have at it, if you would. I'd certainly appreciate it.

Nate

mtbr member
    Since your undecided between these two bikes and still in research mode, I would wait just a little longer. My LBS told me the Trigger 29er will be available real soon...

Helmetless Crasher
    Just curious, why is a Trigger 26 out of the question? Seems it would suit your needs better than either of the bikes you are considering.

For what you plan to do, I'd take it over either of the bikes you are considering.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wait for Trigger 29 is your only option.

If you're not racing and worried about power to weight and all that blah, then you don't need the Scalpel 29 (also the extra Trigger travel will be better on all mountain terrain).

Also since you're not worried about being so fast, the only benefit of the 26er is really not applicable, although I really think my Scalpel 29 is as fast and nimble as my Scalpel 26.

If you just want a nice, reasonably light, comfortable, and most importantly, FUN bike that will eat techy single track all mountain stuff....wait for Trigger 29.

PS. I hear they're shipping this week or next.

These are opinions....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem View Post
    Since your undecided between these two bikes and still in research mode, I would wait just a little longer. My LBS told me the Trigger 29er will be available real soon...
    Fair point, but the Trigger 29er that seems worth buying (the 2) is quite a bit more $$ than what I could get the leftover Jekyll for which is a good part of the debate for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Just curious, why is a Trigger 26 out of the question?
    Am I missing something or is the 26er only available in carbon? That's what I see on the 'dale website which makes the 26er ~40% more expensive. That's reason enough for me to cross it off the list but I appreciate the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Wait for Trigger 29 is your only option.

If you just want a nice, reasonably light, comfortable, and most importantly, FUN bike that will eat techy single track all mountain stuff....wait for Trigger 29.

PS. I hear they're shipping this week or next.

These are opinions....
    Thanks for this information. I'm going to see if the Trigger 29er is going to be available anytime soon or even if it would be possible to simply order one and wait. My LBS didn't think they'd see them until January. Also, as I mentioned above, there is a significant (25%) difference in cost between the Trigger 29er and the leftover Jekyll which is very hard to ignore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Go for the Jekyll for sure!! I went from a anthem x 29er to the Jekyll and have no regrets. Well maybe one regret, that I should have got a claymore instead!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The Scalpel is a short travel, light and fast XC racing bike.
    For your type of riding, as other said: go with the Trigger or Jekyll.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    kaydub,

What type of terrain are you riding on the Jekyll? The stuff around me is a mix of rock gardens with technical stuff to single track trail. The trail side of things can be pretty rooty and rough which is what some are using as the basis for recommending a 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm in northern utah so a mix of dry rocky desert conditions and rooty rocky mountain riding. I have a lot more confidence in all conditions on the Jekyll. With the adjustable travel on the Jekyll you can't go wrong. A Jekyll sounds like it suits your riding style better then the other options.

mtbr member
    Out of the two bikes that you explained I'd go with the Jekyll. Primarily becasue the cost and the extra suspension. My bias is that I haven't ridden a 29er. I'm just going off of what I've read about them. However my opinion would be that waiting until January for the bike you really want is probably the best decision. In terms of things two months isn't long. I would imagine you got the green light and want a new bike pretty badly. But don't spend the next 17 years on a bike that you aren't in love with. I say that without a regard to the price whatsoever. It's obvious you will get your moneys worth out of a bike if you rode your last one that long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've pretty much decided on the Jekyll. The price is too good and it's plenty of bike for what I'll use it for. It's probably serious overkill but I'm also not going to look the gift horse in the mouth of benig afforded the opportunity to pick one up. Would the Trigger 29er ultimately be a better bike, maybe, but the economics are impossible to ignore. I wish I had a bottomless checkbook. Sadly, it's far too easy to see the bottom.

One thing is for sure, it'll be nice to be on something that shifts properly and doesn't have a shagged suspension.

Thanks for your input everyone. I look forward to contributing more to the forums.

Helmetless Crasher
    Yeah, the Jek seems to tbe the way to go for you.

With the savings, you can put a flat bar on it and lighten it up a bit to make it a bit more XCish over time, if need be.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    i love my 2013 jekyll 3, it rides very well
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    I think you will be happy! At the end of the day can not use some of your suspension on the Jekyll. But you can't add it to the scalpel. Price is always a deciding factor. Granted I'd love to have a $10,000 bike, but I really don't think it would make me any happier on the trail.

mtbr member
    Go for a Jekyll, it will do everything a trigger will do, and handle trails the trigger will struggle with. The Jekyll pedals very very well, better then any bike of its travel really should..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get the Jek - a few years ago, I decided for a Prophet over a Scalpel or a Kona Kikapoo for the reason that its a little bigger than I need and it improved ne till it became what I needed eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0 View Post
    Go for a Jekyll, it will do everything a trigger will do, and handle trails the trigger will struggle with. The Jekyll pedals very very well, better then any bike of its travel really should..
    + 1 chicko said it all

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Jekyll arrived at my LBS this morning and is currently being assembled. It'll hopefully be done some time tomorrow so I can pick it up and give it its maiden voyage over the long weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
    The Jekyll arrived at my LBS this morning and is currently being assembled. It'll hopefully be done some time tomorrow so I can pick it up and give it its maiden voyage over the long weekend.
    You have made a great choice, its wonderful bike. what model did you go for?

Once you have it, you got to take some pics and post them up. Any Questions about the setup of the rear shock just ask, there is loads of people on here that have experimented quite a bit. Hopefully your will come with a sag indicator fitted, so setting the ballpark pressures will be no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

2012 Jekyll 3 - mounted to the car and headed home. I'll give it a good shakedown ride (hopefully tomorrow) and then it'll be headed back to the shop as there seems to be a *thunk* in the rear shock when it's in full travel mode. There's no noise when it's in restricted travel so we don't think anything is lose in the linkage. It also didn't make the noise on my first test ride but when we started tweaking the shock settings it appeared. Any suggestions on that front would be greatly appreciated since my LBS hasn't sold a ton of these.

I did get a quick ride around the back yard and it's amazing how well the suspension works. Sadly, no sag indicator fitted yet but I do understand the importance of one so I'll be looking into them shortly.

mtbr member
    The thunk does no sound normal. Might be worth to try taking out all the air pressures from both the positive and negative chambers and then following the setup guide again on the Dyad Fox page. (with the shock with no air in it, move the suspension up and down in long travel mode and see if you can feel the Thunk then)

Most people have found running the shock around 3 to 4 lines lower gives about the correct sag. For example, if you are 200lbs, try the setup line for 170lbs...

Dyad RT2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Haven't had a chance to play with the shock yet and had limited time to get out and ride today so I decided to just leave it in "elevate" mode and avoid the thunk for now. More detailed impressions later but the short version is that I love this bike.

mtbr member
    what year is that jekyll? i dont see it as a 2013. was it a 2012?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yup, it's a 2012 Jekyll 3. Last I checked there were some available through 'dale at very good prices (in both 3 and 2/carbon flavor). It'd be a special order but that was worth it to me to save a ton off retail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bled the rear shock last night and redid the setup process. The clunk appears to be gone but I want to give it a quick spin around the yard later to make sure. Here's to hoping. I've got a longer ride planned tomorrow and it'd be nice if things if it was all systems go beforehand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast